Android 4.0.4 for the Skyrocket available via Kies?

jwise1977

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
For the most part, I like it. It installed easily enough. Battery life has been decent so far. I noticed they still haven't fixed the Live Wallpaper issue.....thought they were going to work that out?? At any rate more to come as I test out ICS.

Really, my live wallpaper is working fine now, its smoothly scrolling with all my screens instead of staying the same on every screen. Ive tried it with The Avengers LW, My Beach HD and others and all seem to work the way they did when I first bought the phone.

mcbaes72

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Might as well share my experience.

First, downloaded Kies to my laptop, then installed Kies update. But after auto restart, I plugged USB and connected to my phone and...nothing, didn't detect phone, well at least phone was charging. After several tries, I restarted both laptop and phone. Then, the drivers were installed and it finally detected my phone and notified me of ICS update.

Whole install process was problem-free, but it was somewhat confusing how there were instructions to press "OK" as if it was waiting for me to click on it, but it would continue the download/install process automatically even if I didn't do anything. Once completed, I left USB connected and was scared that I lost all my apps, games, etc. and it told me that my App2SD application was incompatible. But luckily, all was okay when I disconnected the USB cord. Games still showed my saved games and apps were working properly, only downside was I had to move shortcuts to screen.

Some misc. things I discovered so far in the last few hours:

- Default music player somehow merged with my MixZing play list, no songs were on any of the playlists. Not a big deal, just renamed playlists (removed MixZing from title) and added songs.

- My WiFi and BT disconnect less often. It still happened a couple of times today, but either it's improved a little through this update, improved when I changed settings in using Easy Battery Saver/Easy Task Killer apps, or a combination of all of these.

- When I "force close" an app in the Application Monitor screen, I don't like the warning that pops up every time I manually close an app. It didn't do this before. An inconvenience that is somewhat annoying.

- Like others have mentioned, there's some lag-time/hesitation between actions, from closing an app to pressing home button, etc. I don't recall it being much of a problem before, I may get used to it, but can already tell that this will need some updating to fix.

- Speaking of updates, hope others in the future are OTA from now on, I'm not a fan of using Kies.

sbgdcg

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
That is strange. My Live Wallpaper hasn't worked since the update to 2.3.6. I wonder if I need to turn it back on somehow. Can't find anything under settings, wallpapers or display that covers it. Any Ideas?

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I just mustered the courage to try, and did put the new OS on my skyrocket.

I did not even try it on my 64 Bit Win7 machine after reading about the problems. I also figured I did NOT want that Keis thing on my "real" computer if it's like I-Tunes. Worse than a virus IMO.

Anyhow, I used a small Samsung netbook (Win7, but the starter edition) that we have. It doesn't have the minimum recommended processor, so I knew it'd be slow.

And it WAS slow.

Starting with the downloading of the Keis program from Samsung's site at dial-up speeds (It took about 45 minutes to DL 88 meg). Then, I installed the Keis onto the little laptop, and that took about 45 minutes, too. It kept flashing a progress bar saying it was installing the same thing over and over and over. I'm serious when I say that it showed that progress bar and same message about 50 or 100 times. I gave up on it, actually, and tried to cancel out of the installer, but it seemed locked up and stuck in that loop. But oddly, it eventually did seem to successfully install just before I tried killing it with task manager. Very odd!

I removed the micro SD card, then connected the phone. I did use the "factory" USB cable and it detected the phone. But it had to load the USB drivers for the phone (of course) before it could recognize it. But it did that successfully, too.

I then did the backup using Kies. The first attempt at that, things locked up. I managed to kill that, and then simply restarted the backup. The second time, it acted like it was actually making progress, and seemed to be going smoothly until very near the end when it again appeared to freeze.

I waited a long time, and then tried to cancel again. But as with the installation of Keis, after I'd clicked the cancel button, and seemingly got no response, it suddenly said that it had completed the backup.

At that point, I went ahead and had it do the OS update. That took a while, but at least it made steady progress and that whole operation seemed to go smoothly. Of course, it didn't follow what the instructions said it would do, but it was relatively painless.

All in all, it took over 2 hours to get the job done. But I was watching a stupid movie and a couple of mindless shows on TV, for what that's worth.

I didn't lose any data, contacts, or apps. Everything is still there. I did have to reorganize the layouts of the app icons, but that was expected.

I haven't been running it long enough to say what all will be different, but so far I've found a few small new features that are nice. Like being able to have it show the percentage "full" of the battery on both the main notification bar and on the "locked" screen.

It also shows the setting for the next clock alarm on the locked screen.

I did have to get rid of some of AT&T's bloatware icons scattered here and there. And there appear to be a few new apps that I almost certainly will avoid, but which AT&T have thoughtfully provided. ;)

gzbsds

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happen to me when I attempted to upgrade to ICS. Fortunately, I live very close to an ATT repair shop. I tried it twice. After going back a second time, I was told that this was happening to several folks including myself. The Techs informed me that the ICE update for the Skyrocket is very buggy and again I was not alone. They also informed me that Jellybean for the Sky is going to come out in a couple of months for this very reason. When I took it in, they said that they did not have the ICS update yes and will call me when they get it in.

Thanks to everyones imput on this forum, Friday I went in and attempted and succeeded on the third attempt. I uninstalled mini kies, and then installed Kies. I rebooted the laptop and waited until the next day to attempt to upgrade. I then made sure I had a samsung cable before attempting to installed. And it work like a champ. Only issues I had was to reinstall Facebook and Smsblocker. Other than that, the phone been working very well. Now it's just getting use to the differences. Thanks again for the support and imput of everyone on this forum! :)

Trevor07silvy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have any clue why my CDC serial driver won't install? Laptop charges the phone but kies won't recognize it because of this driver not installing (on vista).

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Skyrocket ICS update (finally!) be careful what you wish4

After patiently waiting 9 months since I bought my phone, on the promise that it would be updated in the 4Q/11to ICS, ATT/Samsung finally decided it was time to release a not so robust update from Gingerbread (which was very stable) to ICS 4.0.4 which I find to be somewhat laggy and prone to freezes, quite a disappointment given the wait. Don't even mention wonderful ATT 4G LTE coverage areas (not).

Anyway after about 1 hour of dealing with the Kies PC download and install to my PC and one failed sync try, I finally was able to get it installed. How do I know? The phone settings now reflect current ICS version. However, in addition to how shakey the stability of new apps is, I also had to go through 3 battery pulls, + remove and re-insert my microSD card in order to restore about 1/3 of my 170 apps that took a hike during the upgrade. This was after calling Samsung Tech support who could only propose a hard reset and start again from scratch in reinstalling each app + re-entering all data set-ups. Luckily, I did not follow that suggestion or I would be up all night restoring phone.

However one of the biggest disappointments, if not the biggest disappointments is that the ATT update is still covered in Touch "Wiz" 4 which is a big bummer. Neither the phone dialer, contact app, or notification bar updated for me. What has changed is a new email app that is not as smart looking as the one in Gingerbread that it has replaced. ATT never cease to amaze me, along with Samsung in how much they can mess up what should be a transparent OTA update process with a stable release that "just works" that is a genuine UI update, not warmed over Touch Wiz 4 ( and Gingerbread was smoother, too.) Personally, I can't wait for a newer Google Nexus with more powerful chip, LTE and 4.5-4.7 HD screen so I can loose this p.o.s. Anyway, if you've been struggling with similar issues after upgrade, please know you are not alone. Way too much like work!

The Contacts app clearly has been updated - it was one of the first things I've noticed. Social Hub has been updated. The Email app and Browser has been updated.

TouchWiz IS a bit of a disappointment, because apparently some things like ICS folders were not worth Samsung's time in the update. Performance has gone up. Really, if you aren't willing to factory reset after a full system upgrade, you really have no right to bash the update. It has always been like this, especially with Samsung phones. Full upgrades = factory reset or expect tons of issues. The same thing used to happen with the bigger maintenance updates on my Vibrant. I don't even wanna get into the problem with the FroYo update you'd have if you didn't factory reset.

Who uses that many apps on a phone?