Android 9: Google Assistant Reminders always use Default Notification Sound

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I want my Reminders that I set in Google Assistant to have use their own sound. I set this by going into the Google app notification, and I've got "Show notifications" toggled on, and scroll down to Reminders which I have toggled on and its notification style is Sound and the sound is Pizzicato.

However, any such reminders that pop up always chime with the System Settings -> Notification sounds, which is Piano. Everything I've read indicates that Reminders should play their own sound. Any ideas?

Android 9

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I want my Reminders that I set in Google Assistant to have use their own sound. I set this by going into the Google app notification, and I've got "Show notifications" toggled on, and scroll down to Reminders which I have toggled on and its notification style is Sound and the sound is Pizzicato.

However, any such reminders that pop up always chime with the System Settings -> Notification sounds, which is Piano. Everything I've read indicates that Reminders should play their own sound. Any ideas?

Android 9
Hi , if you can register a account here , me or other members be happy to assist.

I'll provide a link to register so you can communicate here.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

achreig

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
No, I don't use Task Reminders at all, which are tied to google Tasks, which is a To Do list and a separate App.

I am using Reminders. There are several ways to get to its settings, but I've used
Google->Settings->Notifications...
Here, the "Show notifications" is toggled on, so under that is the Assistand pod (Show notifications, Hand-off, Recommendations) and a pod called "Other" with a lot of things including Game Reminders, Task reminders, and further down the list, Reminders.

I have noticed that if I set the System default notifications to the same sound as Reminders' notification sound, for example Piano, and get a notification, then of course Piano plays. I then change the System default notification to something else, my Reminder notification stays with Piano. But if I reverse that (set the Reminders sound to something else) they continue to play the default sound and not the sound I've changed it to..

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, I don't use Task Reminders at all, which are tied to google Tasks, which is a To Do list and a separate App.

I am using Reminders. There are several ways to get to its settings, but I've used
Google->Settings->Notifications...
Here, the "Show notifications" is toggled on, so under that is the Assistand pod (Show notifications, Hand-off, Recommendations) and a pod called "Other" with a lot of things including Game Reminders, Task reminders, and further down the list, Reminders.

I have noticed that if I set the System default notifications to the same sound as Reminders' notification sound, for example Piano, and get a notification, then of course Piano plays. I then change the System default notification to something else, my Reminder notification stays with Piano. But if I reverse that (set the Reminders sound to something else) they continue to play the default sound and not the sound I've changed it to..

Ok let me check there

achreig

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Right, you've circled the "Assistant" pod, that I mentioned in my last post. in the "Other" pod, are many specific types of notifications. Scroll down, and you'll see "Reminders"

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Right, you've circled the "Assistant" pod, that I mentioned in my last post. in the "Other" pod, are many specific types of notifications. Scroll down, and you'll see "Reminders"
I see it , I can recommend resetting app preference see how that goes ? To do that go into settings>apps>3 Dots upper right corner tap>scroll to reset apps preference
Screenshot_20190728-003154_Settings.jpeg

achreig

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Hmmm, that's a tall order, I've got a lot of apps and time spent customizing them, but when i've got a day to play with it I'll give it a shot.
Will I have to give permissions to all my apps, like when I first run them afterwards? Can you give any tips to help me reset things back to the way I've got them?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hmmm, that's a tall order, I've got a lot of apps and time spent customizing them, but when i've got a day to play with it I'll give it a shot.
Will I have to give permissions to all my apps, like when I first run them afterwards? Can you give any tips to help me reset things back to the way I've got them?
Yeah it might ask permission again, but that should be easy as you open the app it will ask to grant again.

achreig

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Hi! I've done your suggestion, and reset my app preferences.
I had my Reminders sound to use the Default notifications sound, which worked for that, and then to test my issue I then changed the Reminders sound to Piano. As of that point, they do not play any sound whatsoever! I've reset it back to default, among other things, but nothing. The sound is completely off.

Craig

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had my Reminders sound to use the Default notifications sound, which worked for that, and then to test my issue I then changed the Reminders sound to Piano. As of that point, they do not play any sound whatsoever! I've reset it back to default, among other things, but nothing. The sound is completely off.

Craig
So on default they play the sounds and when you choose other sound it don't ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Craig
Can try this in safe mode see what happens ?

achreig

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Safe mode changed nothing, but I have had a breakthrough.
After the default apps reset, I had also turned off some of the other notifications. In the Assistant -> Settings -> Notifications, the first pod named Assistant:

Selection_145.png

So I turned everything in this pod back on, and selectively turned them off. It seems that the Hand-off controls the sound of Reminders, which doesn't make sense to me given the decription of Hand-off. Not only that, the Hand-off's other Notification settings- Style, and Vibrate, are also what I got when my Reminder popped.

So, maybe Hand-off is what I should have been using for my Reminder sound, but this seems like a bug to me.
- Craig

I now even turned the Reminders notification off completely, and I still got one based on Hand-off's notification settings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa