Android Central's hands-on with the Epic 4G

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
thumb_550_epic-4g-hands_0.jpg

With all the Android news and rumors flying in and out, our hands-on with the Epic got bumped out of the top spot on the front page waayyy to quickly.

Since this here is Epic country, and we don't have to make room for non-Epic news ( i like the way that sounds!) I'm putting this here right at the top. If you missed it, go look -- Phil really gives it a nice first look and the video is to die for!

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-samsung-epic-4g-video

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
thumb_550_epic-4g-hands_0.jpg

With all the Android news and rumors flying in and out, our hands-on with the Epic got bumped out of the top spot on the front page waayyy to quickly.

Since this here is Epic country, and we don't have to make room for non-Epic news ( i like the way that sounds!) I'm putting this here right at the top. If you missed it, go look -- Phil really gives it a nice first look and the video is to die for!

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-samsung-epic-4g-video

Great review! Very thorough.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Love it! If my samsung moment can impress me this phone will make my head explode with joy!:p

I honestly don't know how'll I'll take it. I've owned some big phones before and I've always been excited, but what's my excitement level going to be this time?:eek:

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well Im sure that will be determined when we actually use the phone. As much as I love the phone now I could egt it and when I use it for real world tasks I could hate it. Only time will tell.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Well Im sure that will be determined when we actually use the phone. As much as I love the phone now I could egt it and when I use it for real world tasks I could hate it. Only time will tell.

You know what I always find surprising? I research a phone so much, that I think I know it COMPLETELY. When I pick up the phone and open the box, it looks completely different and feels much different than what I expected it to look and feel like. For example, I thought the Evo was going to be kinda big, but not THAT big. Next thing I know, I open the box and the thing's enormous!

tx_dbs_tx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
After owning my HTC EVO for a while now it seems "normal" to me and I couldn't see myself going back to a smaller screen. It rocks... period! You have to allow yourself the time to get used to any new phone and the Samsung Epic isn't as big as previous slide qwerty phones so don't let that stop you from giving it a try. Me... i'm sticking to the EVO. The Epic isnt a very good looking phone in my opinion. The rounded-ness of the Epic looks like crap to me. I prefer the look of T-Mobile's Samsung Vibrant much better. But that's just my opinion, everybody has different likes/dislikes.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The phone looks gorgeous, wouldnt expect anything less from a Galaxy S phone. You would think that it would of gotten 2.2 already but its alright it'll get it in Sept most likely. Definately a good buy for anyone who is interested in getting one before they run out.

focr6

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
the keyboard looks better than the moment.. currently have the moment, and i seriously need something better!!!! a phone that can keep up with me, that would be!

acjif98

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
It looks like a great phone. However, the hype doesn't make me "have to have it". I have a Hero with 2.1. I like it fine. Not hating anything, just not ready to shell out $349. with a $100 MIR. I will wait.

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Trip to Best Buy to handle the dummy Epic

My daughter has an EVO and I have been holding out for a tactile keyboard. I have been salivating over the EVO but as a Pre (blech!) owner I still love having keys I can feel under the table at business meetings.
Today I took a trip to Best Buy just to handle the dummy model. It's very different than what I am used to, but I am so anxious to get rid of my stinking Pre that I can't get to sleep.
My daughter has been trying to get me to buy an EVO ever since she got hers. I tell her that I think that the washed out screen will give me a headache and that I will probably get into a car wreck while texting via the onscreen keyboard. She just rolls her eyes.
My daughter is 11 but she knows her gadgets. I am very anxious to hours of bragging about the glorious Super AMOLED and the tactile buttons. I hope that the Epic boots faster than her EVO. That will really upset her.

emerybarnes

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This Phone looks nice

judging from all the review I have seen on this phone. It is defiantly looking like the phone to beat, as a current Evo 4g user this phone is almost making me doubt my purchase, that keyboard looks like heaven to type on!

acuda27

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I have been waiting for this phone since it was announced. The screen looks amazing, but I have not had the luxury to take a look at it in person. I hope the YouTube video quality is better than the EVO, because even on hd, the video on the hero look WAY NICER!

Now the only question is, are you going to be able to play flash games online? I tried playing some games on the EVO, they load up and I hold menu to make the keyboard pop up so that I can play the games, but the keyboard only works to start the game up (robot unicorns attack on Adult Swim for example) but once the game start you can not play it, as the on screen keyboard becomes unresponsive.

Hope this beast lives up to its name and truly is an epic phone.

Zyferus

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a Moment at the ... moment... and i LOVED it, up till i accidentally dropped it screen side down on a tile floor... oops... I am going to try to get it repaired a little later today... fun that i get to fight the crowds getting my moment launched on the release day for the Epic 4G... I have been drooling over the Epic since i first read about it in the Android Central blogs... i want one... alot... but atm it;s out of my price range, i just hope i get to play a little with the display models at the sprint store when getting my phone repaired. Just as long as i don;t drool on that one... LOL. I am also happy that it gets 2.2 as despite the popularity of the Moment, everyone has decided to leave this phone behind in less than a year... and not bring Froyo to it... saddening...