Android coming from Palm Pre

p-niiice

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I left the pre for the Epic. Glad I did and will never look at WebOS again. It did not suck and is a pretty good OS, but it doesn't offer me anything close to the versatility I'm getting out of Android.

WebOs is smoother and more polished than Android in some ways, but if I wanted smoothness, i'd be using an Iphone. Android phones blow the pre out of the water in most regards, the apps are icing on the cake. This is what I wanted when I wanted a smartphone. WebOS is great, but it's a second-tier OS next to IOS and Android.

prEvo

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Pre-crap

I had a pre, got an EVO. For some reason, I thought I would like the Epic better, so I returned it. Got an Epic. And I like it better than the EVO. For one, the calender in it is better. And everything else.

As far as the pre goes, it was cool before they started updating the OS. As soon as they had updates, **** started F'ing up right and left. There was no stability.
Palm knew they had piece of crap on their hands.

Long live EPIC!

Joey316g

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok the screen on the Epic is beautiful but using the Android web browser on the Epic does not make it look so good. Web pictures look washed out like they are displayed in 8 or 16 bit color and everything about it just looks ugly. I am coming from a Palm Pre so I was shocked at how bad it looks. The Email program is also poor and my opinion of Android OS isn't that good.

It is far ahead of Webos in terms of applications but I think the OS itself isn't as elegant as Webos. For eg. the notifications aren't intuitive. Anyone coming from a Palm Pre? What do you think of Android? If Palm announce a new phone within 30 days and it has a larger screen and good specs I would dump the Epic.

DITTO DITTO DITTO... I wanted to love Android but in the end, I dont...Im gonna play with it and see if I can have a change of heart

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I am liking my new Epic a lot but there are some things I miss about my pre for sure. It is very unlikely that any manufacturer is going to make a phone that has exactly what I like in every detail. Because if they did then it wouldn't be exactly what someone else liked. I liked the notifications better on the pre. I liked the email app better and the im app better too. And the card system was waaaaay better than holding down a home button and reopening one of your last six apps.

My pre bit the dust and now an epic takes its place. There are a lot of things I like about it too. The screen is a great size and looks great. The number of available apps is nice and the choice of a landscape keyboard or a virtual one with swype is awesome. I think some apps work better too like google maps for sure.

chart11610

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Support for the Palm Pre, and updates along with Apps were very poor in my opinion. I had high hopes for the Web OS, but is just not gained market acceptance.

I have been an Epic user for 2wks now, and I am loving it. I think that will be even more when 2.2 is released in the near future (Define near). The availability of apps, and the number who are willing to develope for this platform is huge in my opinion.

The existing Exchange mail app is only fair to partly cloudy. If there is demand, some one will create the Ideal Exchange client and I am sure it will not be that far out.

Battery life is fair at best. That will probably improve, but that nice screen is expensive in power draw to run. I was used to charging the Pre every day, so that is now new for me. I do sorely miss the Touchstone charging. That was awsome.

I think this will become an awsome device in the months to come.

jngai

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
DITTO DITTO DITTO... I wanted to love Android but in the end, I dont...Im gonna play with it and see if I can have a change of heart

I'm glad Palm made it easier for me by not releasing any new hardware. Technically, they still have 6 days before I have to return my Epic. But most everyone know they will announce new hardware at next CES and launch sometime Q2 of next year.

With hardware cycles like that, no wonder why Steve Jobs and co. didn't care about how much of an impact Palm would have on the Smartphone industry (apparently, fading to none).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz