"Android is upgrading" after every restart

perfecthybrid

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
All,

I've got a Sprint M8 running 5.0.1 and ever since the upgrade after every restart I get an "Android is upgrading... starting apps" screen before the phone completely loads.

Has anyone gotten this or know why it's happening?

Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just did a warranty exchange on my Verizon version. I never saw this on the old one and I upgraded the "like new" replacement right through to lollipop before reinstalling apps. I then encrypted the old phone before doing a factory reset. I think at some point while doing backups and transferring files, or maybe after the encryption process, I saw one of my phones go through the app optimization process a second time. I just rebooted my replacement and it didn't optimize.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
All,

I've got a Sprint M8 running 5.0.1 and ever since the upgrade after every restart I get an "Android is upgrading... starting apps" screen before the phone completely loads.

Has anyone gotten this or know why it's happening?

Thanks.

Same thing here. It is because HTC. :p

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
That (Android is upgrading ...) message take like what, three to four seconds, if so, then why does it bother you?! Why do you have to restart your phone so often to begin with?

Sent from my HTC One M8

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That (Android is upgrading ...) message take like what, three to four seconds, if so, then why does it bother you?! Why do you have to restart your phone so often to begin with?

Sent from my HTC One M8

If we're talking about the same message, it's more like 3-4 minutes.

perfecthybrid

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The length doesn't bother me I just am not sure if it's supposed to be happening.

I've got people saying it doesn't happen for them on resets and others saying it's an HTC deal, so I'm honestly just not sure. It only happened after my 5.0.1upgrade and I have never had it happen during every restart - only restarts immediately after an upgrade. As it's doing it every restart my concern is the upgrade didn't roll through all the way the way it should have and something caused an issue where it thinks it is still upgrading when I restart the phone.

Someone else mentioned optimization - if that is what it is for and it's supposed to do that, Great, as I said before I just don't know.

Also, it's more in the line of 20 to 30 seconds.

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
If we're talking about the same message, it's more like 3-4 minutes.
Then you have a problem for sure, I have just restarted my M8 to check it out, and that Android upgrading message took about a couple of seconds only.

When I reboot though (switch off and on) that message doesn't come up at all.

Side Note:-
Back when my M8 was running KitKat, I had the developer options enabled and I changed the runtime from Dalvik to ART, I remember in the process there was a similar message but kinda related to the apps, I guess it was making the apps adapt with the new runtime, it took about 30 minutes.

Now on Lollipop it uses ART by default, is it possible that most apps are still dependent on Dalvik? In which on a restart in a Lollipop it will make a scan for any newly installed apps to make them adapt with ART?! So the more new apps there are on the device, the more time that android upgrading message will take, does that make any sense ....

Sent from my HTC One M8

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Your right, the optimization should happen on ART, but it's not dependent on the apps installed. Dalvik and ART in a way are doing the same thing but at different times. Either when apps start or ahead of time during conversion/installation respectively. The optimization should only happen once after the ART switch, then again upon new app installs. Some people complain of app installs taking longer, but that's because of the optimization and future starting of the apps should happen quicker.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm the modding community this message pops up after a dalvik cache wipe using a custom recovery. Its likely that when you upgraded your phone something got stuck in cache that is now either wiping your runtime cache every time you reboot or thinks you have just changed to ART from Dalvik every time it boots. Makes sense considering the significant change to runtimes between these android versions.

My phone did it twice. After the second time I booted to recovery and wiped my cache and rebooted. This fixed my issues. If it doesn't fix yours a factory reset definitely should.

elfuego

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Happening to my wife's M8 also. Bought it new a few days ago and installed the update even before she started using it, so it was a clean install. I still see the message for a few seconds on boot up. Hopefully not an issue. Otherwise working well.