Android messages not making notification noise - Android P

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I waited until Android Messages came out with messaging via the web and started using it as my primary messaging service. Problem is that it won't notify me of a bunch of messages via SOUND. I get a popup and notification icon but no notification noise.

I've tried changing the notification sound, tried all sorts of settings and nothing, it won't notify. I can keep on using Pulse for now but I'd like to get messages to work.

Running the latest Android P developer preview here on a pixel 2 XL.

help

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does that only happen when you have Messages on the Web open on your computer? Open the Android Messages app on your phone, tap Menu>Messages for web, then tap the menu button again and then Notifications. Change the Importance from Medium to High or Urgent, and see if that brings the notification tone back.

(I'm not running the DP, so I can't say if this might be a DP issue.)

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I reported this early on, I don't get 75-80% of the sound notifications on my phone, however I do get some, just haven't pin pointed yet the right combination when it does work.

I running stock Verizon P2, fully patches, no dev editions
Win10 both at home and at work, both using Chrome and both are properly registered in the Messages for the Web settings

Rick

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I just started to notice that sometimes, the sound notification on my phone can be delayed by as much as 3-4 mins or not at all

Rick

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Today, my phone notification came in nearly 10 mins after the web message.

If the web app is shut down, notifications come in right away

Starting to look like something on the back end of Google Messages Web app

Rick

furnaceX

Aug 31, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same problem... delayed or no alert sound on phone

Samsung S7. Android 8.0.0
Messages App version 3.5.053
Messages for Web on Firefox 61.0.2

AndroidEatsiPhone

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
Same here, OP. I have been religiously using Google's Messages for Web for a few months now. The web app works great!

However, the only gripe I have with Google's Messaging for Web is is the lack of audio notifications when receiving incoming SMS messages. The switch for Audio Notifications is turned on in the browser, however, no sound emits from the computer when receiving new incoming SMS messages.

I've tried every that solution I could think of to hear the audio notification for incoming SMS messages. The range of solutions goes from removing and adding again the notification permission on Google Chrome, switching the browser using Messages for web from Google's Chrome to Apple's Safari, and changing the visual/audio notification settings to Urgent on my Note 8. For the last 2 days, I've had this strong desire to fix it and show my dead Grandma residing in Heaven that I AM capable of fixing things! :) However, fixing it seems out of the question without having access to the code base. Believe it has something to do with the software of the Web App.

Please Google, help us fix this! I'm hoping that it's not too difficult to come up w/ a solution to allow audio notifications once again on Messages for Web.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude