Android to iOS: The itch to switch

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I think there's something to that. With iOS, Apple is pushing a single concept. With Android, everybody is driving their own agenda, which is both good and bad. Samsung is trying to highlight their brand, just like OnePlus or LG or whoever. They all present their interpretations of how the UI/UX should be. Apple is fairly singular, with some small detail differences between iPhones. But for all intents and purposes, they're offering is singular.

I think their approach works really well with an average 'I know little about tech' consumer. They have the absolute best out of the box experience, IMO. Now Android can be quite simple or it can be quite taxing. That's really up to the user. You can find yourself in maze of settings and choices if you are unfamiliar.

Look at the number of settings menus we have these days. Home screen menu settings, general device menu settings, Google account menu settings, Google Assistant menu settings. Then let's start down the launcher choices road, then the messages app choices, then themes, widgets, etc. Samsung services or Google services? Maybe you'd prefer Oxygen OS..?

All this can be great for those of us that want to get that deep into things, but that's got to be somewhat overwhelming for the consumer who just wants to turn on their device and go.

IDK HTC is dead and outside of Samsung, OnePlus and Google I think all those other Android brands are next to go (Motorola may stick around since it targets the lower end market and makes decent phones with big batteries).

I can't say I agree with your comment about "approach" it seems all makers are targeting the "Super duper camera that can replace your DSLR".

Apple just gets the basics done well and it's very smooth, for instance even when you get a notification it pops up on the screen with iphone and it's simple and effective. Samsung doesn't quite dot the same and needs to be tweaked a bit.

I think Samsung is going int he right direction with oneui, they do need to make it a little smoother and well as more efficient.

If you just want something to pull out and put back in the iphone is pretty perfect for that. The OS is mad limited and it still has "auto update" issues lol but it's a set it and forget it type of phone.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Look, I'm just living an experience that are remembering me what I was using iPhones for the last years. I'm with my new Note 10+ for three weeks now. I find it an incredible gadget, beautiful, powerful, capable, and I just love S Pen. But, this afternoon, I simply noticed my Always on Display, without any command of mine - at least no conscious one - changed from portrait to horizontal mode. Again, with simply no input of mine. So I tried to solve it by myself. Reboot, search in setup menus... Nothing. Had to go to Google and literally ask what was happening and how could I solve it. Finally found the necessary setup menu and changed back to portrait mode. After a good time and with considerable anger. Now that's all ok. But my phone simply decided to do something regardless of what I want or not.

I'll continue with my Note 10+ since I really like it. But, sorry guys, that kind of things never happened with any of my numerous past iPhones. Because of it, in the case my Note decides to go crazy again, I'll maintain my iPhone X, in case of any emergency. Android is much better now than last time I tried it. But, as I saw, it still isn't as confiable as iOS. At least in its Samsung flavour (for the sake of justice, I used an OP 6T for some months and never faced this kind of things in it, as well).

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
IDK HTC is dead and outside of Samsung, OnePlus and Google I think all those other Android brands are next to go (Motorola may stick around since it targets the lower end market and makes decent phones with big batteries).

I would't get the harps out for the OEM's just yet. LG still has a solid footing overall. Motorola maintains a very strong position in South America, for example.

I can't say I agree with your comment about "approach" it seems all makers are targeting the "Super duper camera that can replace your DSLR".

Well, I don't feel that a single feature defines an entire design philosophy. Majority of people take a picture, look at it and decide if they like it or if it's "good enough" or whatever. This talk of camera supremacy is left to us nerds. My 73 year mother knows nothing about any of that and couldn't care less when she takes pictures of my nephew during his baseball game.

IMO, Apple represents pinnacle of "ease of use" computing, almost to a fault. As long as you are willing to do things their way, it's almost impossible to fail at computing in their system.

Most people don't care about the topics we discuss, definitely even fewer care on the Apple side of things. These chipsets and screens and all that. Most people just turn on their device and go. Only time they wonder about particulars is if something isn't working right, and details be damned then too .. Just make it work.

Android, as an OS, much more dynamic... without question. But not everyone wants that type of system.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I would't get the harps out for the OEM's just yet. LG still has a solid footing overall. Motorola maintains a very strong position in South America, for example.

Well, I don't feel that a single feature defines an entire design philosophy. Majority of people take a picture, look at it and decide if they like it or if it's "good enough" or whatever. This talk of camera supremacy is left to us nerds. My 73 year mother knows nothing about any of that and couldn't care less when she takes pictures of my nephew during his baseball game.

IMO, Apple represents pinnacle of "ease of use" computing, almost to a fault. As long as you are willing to do things their way, it's almost impossible to fail at computing in their system.

Most people don't care about the topics we discuss, definitely even fewer care on the Apple side of things. These chipsets and screens and all that. Most people just turn on their device and go. Only time they wonder about particulars is if something isn't working right, and details be damned then too .. Just make it work.

Android, as an OS, much more dynamic... without question. But not everyone wants that type of system.
....nothing to add. Perfection.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Ironically, I find Android much easier to use because of the app drawer and Quick access panel.

I think, as the above poster noted, that the average user doesn’t find flipping a page or two to find an app difficult. Only us nerds talk about those things as important.