Android TV Box - USB Camera

davep89

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
I have an LG TV USB webcam that I'm trying to get working with Messenger on my Android TV box. When I try to access the webcam through Messenger I get a message that another app is using it. This website https://webcamtests.com/ detects my cam also tells me something else is using the it. The microphone works fine.

However, I just tried using a UVC cam app and the camera worked fine, and on another Android TV box (older Android version) it also works fine in Messenger so I've established that the hardware is serviceable, that its compatible with Android and that it will work with Messenger.

I just had a thought. Maybe its the version of Messenger that has the problem. I will go see if another version will work!

Edit: It isn't that! I tried the same version that works on the older Android TV with the same result. The big difference between the two is the older one is and s802 but the new one is a Rockchip.

Edit 2: I just proved Messenger and the camera test website can't tell whether the camera is plugged in or not so the message saying the camera might be used by another app is just a way of saying it doesn't detect a camera. ??

Edit 3: I tried it on another Rockchip Android TV and now the camera works but the microphone doesn't! On Android 7.

I'm not confident this will work so I'm posting this question anyway. Please pass on any suggestions/information about what might be causing Messenger to think another app is using the cam when the UVC cam app doesn't and any tests you think I could try to narrow it down. Is there an app or a command line option to enumerate apps using hardware?

Any advice gratefully accepted!

David

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the Android TV forum since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.