Android users vs iOs users - app purhcases and phone storage

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Anecdotally it seems to me that although ios users are more likely to spend money purchasing apps than android users, they seem to be care less about phone storage than android users. I know about 25 ios users that I interact with regularly and all but one own the lowest capacity variant of their iPhone models. I have one coworker with a 64GB iPhone 6, everyone else has a 5S or 5 with 16GB (and one 4S 8GB). This is in contrast to most android users that I know are using phones with at least 32GB internal or have at least a 16GB and often larger SD card in addition to their internal phone storage. Is this the exception or are ios users more apt to value other features over storage and /or use more cloud storage? I'd like to hear people's thoughts.

Edit: FYI, I'm Android only and my 16GB Droid DNA never had enough storage for me and I'm hopefully moving to a GS6 64GB within the next week.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It probably has to do in part with lack of awareness or concern for how much storage they have. I've seen more than one iPhone user suddenly look at their phone and realize that they don't have any more space, since they still have the thousands of photos they've taken stored on the phone. It happens on Android too, but I suspect it's more common with iPhone users since I'd venture to say that they use their cameras much more intensively than the average Android user.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
It probably has to do in part with lack of awareness or concern for how much storage they have. I've seen more than one iPhone user suddenly look at their phone and realize that they don't have any more space, since they still have the thousands of photos they've taken stored on the phone. It happens on Android too, but I suspect it's more common with iPhone users since I'd venture to say that they use their cameras much more intensively than the average Android user.
Although other cloud storage can be used by iPhone or Android users (such as Dropbox or OneDrive), I suspect that most iPhone users use iCloud, and most Android users use Google Drive. iCloud is more expensive than Google Drive. The free version of iCloud only stores up to 5 GB, but the free version of Google Drive stores up to 15 GB. That could also account for the iPhone users running out of space.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I currently own a 128GB iPad Mini and a 64GB 6+. I bought the 128GB mini because I have 105GB of music and I wanted to have it all in my car. I bought the 64GB iPhone because I love buying music videos on iTunes and I love having them with me. I have 250 music videos and I buy more all the time.

As far as my Android phones go, I don't really use them for streaming or listening to music as much because I like that experience on the iPhone/iPad much better and iTunes is also where I buy my music. I also subcsribe to iTunes Match so I can stream all my 105GB of music from the cloud without having it on my phone.

I also have all of my iTunes music uploaded to Google Music so I can still play it on my Android phones anytime. As I said though, I still prefer the music playback experience on iOS. That will keep me buying iPhones and I have no plans to stop buying whatever Android phone I want because I prefer them over my iPhone if that makes sense. :)

I could not live with a phone with just 16GB. I tried buying a 16GB iPad Air last year and exchanged it for a 32GB a week later.

I've kind of slowed down on buying apps for either platform over the last year because I pretty much already have what I like using. I don't play games so I don't need extra space for those. I've paid for apps on both platforms as long as they are quality apps. I bought TomTom GPS for my Nexus 7 a few years ago but never did for iOS.

I have over 3,000 pictures on my 6+ and probably less then 100 on my Note 4.

gfederline9

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I currently own a 128GB iPad Mini and a 64GB 6+. I bought the 128GB mini because I have 105GB of music and I wanted to have it all in my car. I bought the 64GB iPhone because I love buying music videos on iTunes and I love having them with me. I have 250 music videos and I buy more all the time.

As far as my Android phones go, I don't really use them for streaming or listening to music as much because I like that experience on the iPhone/iPad much better and iTunes is also where I buy my music. I also subcsribe to iTunes Match so I can stream all my 105GB of music from the cloud without having it on my phone.

I also have all of my iTunes music uploaded to Google Music so I can still play it on my Android phones anytime. As I said though, I still prefer the music playback experience on iOS. That will keep me buying iPhones and I have no plans to stop buying whatever Android phone I want because I prefer them over my iPhone if that makes sense. :)

I could not live with a phone with just 16GB. I tried buying a 16GB iPad Air last year and exchanged it for a 32GB a week later.

I've kind of slowed down on buying apps for either platform over the last year because I pretty much already have what I like using. I don't play games so I don't need extra space for those. I've paid for apps on both platforms as long as they are quality apps. I bought TomTom GPS for my Nexus 7 a few years ago but never did for iOS.

I have over 3,000 pictures on my 6+ and probably less then 100 on my Note 4.

is it possible to download music video on android or pc or mac and put it to iPhone without paying anything

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Most ios users don't care. They see music in iTunes, cool games on the app store and load it up. It's not until a 5 GB OS update comes along and they can't download it because they don't have enough storage. Then they start to care, Apple screwed me over on storage! I was told it was a 16gb but I only have 10gb of storage.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Most ios users don't care. They see music in iTunes, cool games on the app store and load it up. It's not until a 5 GB OS update comes along and they can't download it because they don't have enough storage. Then they start to care, Apple screwed me over on storage! I was told it was a 16gb but I only have 10gb of storage.

Posted via the Android Central App

All storage devices are the same, even Android. 32GB gives you about 28GB, 64 gives you about 56 and 128GB gives you about 115.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Although other cloud storage can be used by iPhone or Android users (such as Dropbox or OneDrive), I suspect that most iPhone users use iCloud, and most Android users use Google Drive. iCloud is more expensive than Google Drive. The free version of iCloud only stores up to 5 GB, but the free version of Google Drive stores up to 15 GB. That could also account for the iPhone users running out of space.

iCloud doesn't even save me any space. It basically mirrors the files already on my iPhone and iPad, such as my photos. For example, I may have 7 gb of photos in iCloud Photo Library, but that also represents 7 gb of photos in my iPhone and iPad. It's really more for the convenience than any space savings.

Which is why Apple really needs to drop the 16 gb version of their devices and make the 64gb the default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm in full agreement with dropping 16GB. Releasing the 6 and 6+ with a 16GB option should never have even been considered. Same with downgrading the 5C to only an 8GB option in all markets and not just those that are emerging. Since making my original post last week I did talk to a friend of mine (he's currently on a iPhone 5 16GB) that's in developing a couple of apps for iPhone (and eventually Android after the iOS versions are complete) about storage and his view is that there's no need to increase the base storage with cloud storage available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze