Any "fix" for small crack on screen?

gbeaguilar

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I was using my phone this morning and everything was fine, but after charging it for maybe 30 minutes I noticed a small crack or puncture on the screen. I have no idea what could have happened, as it was safe on my bed :confused:. The crack is very small but still noticeable, both to sight and touch. Thankfully it does not seem to have any affect on functionality.
Does anyone know of any kind of remedy or fix for this? I have searched and found some "fixes" for phone screen scratches but I do not know if those would apply to the optimus v screen. I know I really can't actually fix it completely, but hopefully can hide it a bit. Any suggestions would help :)

rockneo

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Might be a deep scratch try toothpaste it won't completely. Fix it but it might. Put your heart at ease.

Sent from my Optimus V

gbeaguilar

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Toothpaste will wear down the surrounding plastic to the level of the scratch. sure you wont see the scratch anymore, but the plastic will be thin and weakened.

most often, you can tell the different between a crack and a scratch by looking at the pattern. scratches are straight lines that tape off on the ends. cracks have hard edged ends becuase the rupture of the material. also, you can slightly depress the plastic on both sides of the crack independantly. and you can feel the crack as you rub your finger over it.

with a scratch, the plastic would depress as a whole, because its not broken through. and it would usually be too fine to feel, but enough to see.

weather it is a scratch or a crack, you might have to use those scratch filling compounds. it just puts a clear substance into the scratch that fills it, then you polish it down to the level of the rest of the plastic.

Also, might be a good idea to invest in a quality screen guard, and have it applied correctly.

Thanks for the info! Based on this I'm gona say it is a crack and not a scratch. It is much too small to see any kind of pattern but I can definitely feel the rough edges. I have heard of the toothpaste trick but am a little hesitant to try unless I have confirmation that it would work. Can anyone recommend any crack fillers?

pcp135

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Careful though because you can turn a scratch into a crack by pressing too hard. You can't turn a crack into a scratch by pressing too softly :D

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Or if the phone is still under warranty take it in and have it replaced?

This is one of those times replacing the phone under warranty is legitimately a good plan.

gbeaguilar

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
It has been less than 30 days since I bought from Best Buy, I also bought the two year service plan because I am sick of dieing virgin mobile phones :-\. I am just not sure this small crack warrants a return/ replacement/ whatever they do, it honestly is pretty small (but still noticeable). But I agree, trying to get it replaced is probably the best thing to do, just need to return it to stock first I guess.

Oh and can anyone recommend a good screen protector?

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It has been less than 30 days since I bought from Best Buy, I also bought the two year service plan because I am sick of dieing virgin mobile phones :-\. I am just not sure this small crack warrants a return/ replacement/ whatever they do, it honestly is pretty small (but still noticeable). But I agree, trying to get it replaced is probably the best thing to do, just need to return it to stock first I guess.

Oh and can anyone recommend a good screen protector?

Trust me they will replace it.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I would return it now while still under the 30 days, since they will replace it with alot less hassle, and pretty much always a brand new unit. Trying to get replacements under extended warranties can take weeks, and you usually get a refurb replacement.

gbeaguilar

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I just have not had the best experiences with returns in the past. Hopefully my new local best buy is less uptight. Fingers crossed I'll have a crack free phone by tomorrow! I have some screen protectors from ebay being delivered home so I look forward to picking those up this weekend :)

Kyia Coles

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
So I was at the park and I was listening to music and then I was on the ride that keeps going in circles or sm and then my tablet fell out the purse it fell in the rocks so I got little cracks on my tablet so I have to switch my tablet around to click on certain things and I don't know what to do my mom's not gonna pay for it cause she doesn't see the cracks but I do

Chadiamond Robinson

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I was using my phone this morning and everything was fine, but after charging it for maybe 30 minutes I noticed a small crack or puncture on the screen. I have no idea what could have happened, as it was safe on my bed :confused:. The crack is very small but still noticeable, both to sight and touch. Thankfully it does not seem to have any affect on functionality.
Does anyone know of any kind of remedy or fix for this? I have searched and found some "fixes" for phone screen scratches but I do not know if those would apply to the optimus v screen. I know I really can't actually fix it completely, but hopefully can hide it a bit. Any suggestions would help :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463