Any former Note 3 users that have converted to the Moto X

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at possibly selling my Note 3 and going to the Moto X. The Note 3 is an awesome phone spec wise and battery wise but it has so many useless touchwiz features I don't use. While the giant screen is amazing its, well, giant, and I really am looking at going back to an AOSP experience and being able to use all my phones functions one handed. The thing holding me back is screen quality, storage, and battery life. Any former Note 3 users that have converted and would care to share what they like/dislike?

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I made the switch to the moto x from a note 2 and at first it took some time getting used to the smaller screen and no s pen but that's about all I missed. The moto x screen is smaller but it still is a nice size the battery last me all day and I love the near stock experience way more then touch wiz

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I made this exact transition, and couldn't be happier with my decision.

The note 3 lured me in with slick pre-release videos, and well I thought I'd love all the features, once I had the phone, I found I turned off pretty much everything.

The knox notification issue, well not actually causing a problem , annoyed me to no end.

At first, I loved the size of the screen. However, after a while it annoyed me. It was uncomfortable to carry around, annoying in the car, and not worth the trade-off overall (to me). In regards to the resolution difference, when not looking at the 2 phones side by side, I don't notice it, nor miss it.

The note 3 battery was a beast. No doubt about it. However, I found the Moto X gets me through the day, and for me that's good enough.

I find the main 2 features of the Moto X (active notifications and always listening mode) are far more valuable to me then the boatload of features I turned off on the Samsung. I use the moto x features, I like them, and they work well ( especially always listening in the car).

I love the custom colors I was able to pick with moto maker.

I love the fast updates we've gotten so far with software.

I love how smooth and fast the software runs.

I love the slim feel off the phone, and the way I can easily put in my pocket or a cup holder in the car.

So overall, like I said in the beginning, I couldn't be happier with the Moto X. I'll update with further thoughts later but I should probably get back to work. :)

I hope this helps in your decision!

Posted via Android Central App

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I too was drawn in by the functions it toted as well as the specs. I gotta admit I find the spen functions to be pretty damn nice, being able to use it like a lasso tool to take specific cut out screen shots of only what I want cut out is nice as well as some of the other functions it has but its just giant. I think that the touchless control and the active display would be more beneficial throughout day to day use. I think I will miss the screen as well as the expandable storage (64 gig card lol) but day to day I think the Moto X seems more and more likely just to be a better all around device.

Still hoping someone can cue me in on video quality. I happen to shoot quite a bit of mobile video at my daughters cheer competitions for family that isnt in town. I've seen examples of pictures but I really would like to know how good/bad video quality is...

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The AndroidCentral (or other tech site) reviews of the Moto X should have video samples from the camera. I'm sure you can find one on YouTube pretty easily, then you can judge for yourself.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
You're right, lol, I'm forum browsing while I have queries running at work and I can get away with that but IT here will monitor and report youtube so I'll have to check that out when I get home. Thanks for that though, something completely obvious that I probably would never have thought about!

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I too was drawn in by the functions it toted as well as the specs. I gotta admit I find the spen functions to be pretty damn nice, being able to use it like a lasso tool to take specific cut out screen shots of only what I want cut out is nice as well as some of the other functions it has but its just giant. I think that the touchless control and the active display would be more beneficial throughout day to day use. I think I will miss the screen as well as the expandable storage (64 gig card lol) but day to day I think the Moto X seems more and more likely just to be a better all around device.

Still hoping someone can cue me in on video quality. I happen to shoot quite a bit of mobile video at my daughters cheer competitions for family that isnt in town. I've seen examples of pictures but I really would like to know how good/bad video quality is...

I've only had mine a week and took my first videos today of my son playing outside. They seemed like really nice quality. I can't find a way to upload one though. They were outside and I know cheer competitions are inside so I'm not sure about that.

bwhick7492

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I did the exact opposite. I switched from the x to the note 3. I have to admit I miss some things about the x but love the battery life of the note 3. The ability to switch out a battery was key for me. The customization of the x was the coolest thing cell phones have seen in a while however. If Motorola mad an x maxx I would jump on it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

bwhick7492

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh the future I miss like crazy is the shake camera future. I have kids and I was able to get the camera rolling I record time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

Tysonsaurus

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about making the switch also. Like others have stated, I don't use most of the features on the phone, the size becomes cumbersome when out and about, but I love the screen and battery life. My girl has the moto x and she loves it. I feel like I would use more of the features it has to offer. Especially the always listening and moto assist. Also helps out with the decision since moto is doing another sale on the phone Monday.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I made the switch to the moto x from a note 2 and at first it took some time getting used to the smaller screen and no s pen but that's about all I missed. The moto x screen is smaller but it still is a nice size the battery last me all day and I love the near stock experience way more then touch wiz

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

I did the same thing and feel the exact same way.

Hawkhe

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I miss old Motorola phone designs like the first Razr Maxx with 4 buttons, now only 3 and they are on screen. I have to have a phone with physical buttons.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I miss old Motorola phone designs like the first Razr Maxx with 4 buttons, now only 3 and they are on screen.

The three onscreen buttons are part of the evolution of Android.

And if you want physical buttons, which mean more parts to break or come loose, you can get a Samsung.

lindycu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I sold my GB3 and got a Moto X Dev Edition for Verizon. Was the absolutely best decision I made. I did the sale and buy on swappa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy