Any Gear 1 owners switch Gear S?

Axr6

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Have both the Gear 1 and the S. The S is a very large upgrade, definitely worth purchasing. As used with its own SIM card, it expands the functions of the watch were you can leave your phone at home and still have a fully functioning device. It is not too large, unless you are a tiny person with very small wrists. I get tons of compliments on its looks and screen quality and get tons of recognition when people realize that I am talking to them over my watch, answering their emails and messages on the watch, using both the keypad or voice. Great device, heads and shoulders above anything else on the market at this time and even over the Apple watch that has not even made it to the markets.

mikeyking

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Have both the Gear 1 and the S. The S is a very large upgrade, definitely worth purchasing. As used with its own SIM card, it expands the functions of the watch were you can leave your phone at home and still have a fully functioning device. It is not too large, unless you are a tiny person with very small wrists. I get tons of compliments on its looks and screen quality and get tons of recognition when people realize that I am talking to them over my watch, answering their emails and messages on the watch, using both the keypad or voice. Great device, heads and shoulders above anything else on the market at this time and even over the Apple watch that has not even made it to the markets.

Agree with that post. in fact, the watch is more comfortable than the Gear 1 as it's curved and fits the wrist better. Added to that, it's actually the same size as the gear 1 given theirs no 'bezzel' around the outside.

Finally, did I read it correctly, the Apple iWatch doesn't have a keyboard so you can't use it to send texts / emails? Pah, one day they might catch up.

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I had the gear 1 when it was first available and loved it. I was so upset when apps started going away, all the way to when there were like 10-15 left, nothing good. I upgraded it to tizen (which was the easiest thing in the world to do) and now there are tons of apps. I still got my gear S because I had my mind set on that watch and was going to have it when it came out. I don't use my gear 1 as much, but for some reason can't part with it. I have people at work asking me everyday to buy it, lol.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

Axr6, Thanks for the information. I am not a small person so I should be good. Hope to look at one in person tomorrow. Thanks again.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Agree with that post. in fact, the watch is more comfortable than the Gear 1 as it's curved and fits the wrist better. Added to that, it's actually the same size as the gear 1 given theirs no 'bezzel' around the outside.

Finally, did I read it correctly, the Apple iWatch doesn't have a keyboard so you can't use it to send texts / emails? Pah, one day they might catch up.

Mikeyking, this statement "Added to that, it's actually the same size as the gear 1 given theirs no 'bezzel' around the outside" really helped me get a good idea of the size. Thanks.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I had the gear 1 when it was first available and loved it. I was so upset when apps started going away, all the way to when there were like 10-15 left, nothing good. I upgraded it to tizen (which was the easiest thing in the world to do) and now there are tons of apps. I still got my gear S because I had my mind set on that watch and was going to have it when it came out. I don't use my gear 1 as much, but for some reason can't part with it. I have people at work asking me everyday to buy it, lol.

Honda-Dave, I appreciate the information. I rooted my gear 1, so unable to convert it to tizen. Also, Samsung makes me a little nervous with Tizen. They just now released their first phone with Tizen on it today. They announced that a year ago and just now getting that out and the spec on that phone is pitiful. I know their new tv's are coming with Tizen, I am just hoping they are committed to sticking to tizen. I would hate to get this great looking watch and watch the apps fall off like they did with the gear 1.

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Honda-Dave, I appreciate the information. I rooted my gear 1, so unable to convert it to tizen. Also, Samsung makes me a little nervous with Tizen. They just now released their first phone with Tizen on it today. They announced that a year ago and just now getting that out and the spec on that phone is pitiful. I know their new tv's are coming with Tizen, I am just hoping they are committed to sticking to tizen. I would hate to get this great looking watch and watch the apps fall off like they did with the gear 1.

I tried to root my gear 1 and failed miserably, lol. I hope they stick with Tizen too, because I like it so far.

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Few weeks after it came out. It's fun but expensive toy. Boy do I get talked to alot about and a funny one was at an apple store lol

Posted via the Android Central App

scann1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the original Gear on opening day. I was very pleased with it. I purchased the Gear S on opening day also, it's a fantastic smart watch I fell in love with it. For those of you who miss the camera option "which I also miss" you can use the "remote cam effects" app which controls the camera on your Samsung phone. The only Con with the Gear S is the charging cradle. One end of the clip cracked last week now the cradle doesn't snapped on the Gear S anymore, I have to use a rubberband to keep it on the Gear S. Samsung has a replacement cradle for $29.00 but it's on back order. I purchased one through amazon for around $55.00 I should be receiving it on wednesday. I wish they would have designed the Gear S cradle like the original Gear.
See the "My Gear S charging cradle doesn't fit anymore," post.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the original Gear on opening day. I was very pleased with it. I purchased the Gear S on opening day also, it's a fantastic smart watch I fell in love with it. For those of you who miss the camera option "which I also miss" you can use the "remote cam effects" app which controls the camera on your Samsung phone. The only Con with the Gear S is the charging cradle. One end of the clip cracked last week now the cradle doesn't snapped on the Gear S anymore, I have to use a rubberband to keep it on the Gear S. Samsung has a replacement cradle for $29.00 but it's on back order. I purchased one through amazon for around $55.00 I should be receiving it on wednesday. I wish they would have designed the Gear S cradle like the original Gear.
See the "My Gear S charging cradle doesn't fit anymore," post.

Scann1, Thanks for the information. I have read the other thread about the cradle and if you read other sites that problem seems to come up a lot. I am still on the fence about purchasing the Gear S. It's a great looking watch and I want to get it, but I also don't have lots of money to pour into technology that might not get the support that it needs. It kind of bugs me that so many of you have broken cradles and Samsung seems to have turned a deaf ear to it. I am still trying to decide.

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Samsung seams to have a deaf ear to lots of stuff but I continue to buy Samsung lol. I really like the ease of the gear 2 cradle very quick and easy. The S cradle is kinda difficult sometimes but nice it has the extra charge capability. I also sold each watch for little loss right as the new came out. So very little out of pocket other the initial purchase.

Posted via the Android Central App

scann1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Scann1, Thanks for the information. I have read the other thread about the cradle and if you read other sites that problem seems to come up a lot. I am still on the fence about purchasing the Gear S. It's a great looking watch and I want to get it, but I also don't have lots of money to pour into technology that might not get the support that it needs. It kind of bugs me that so many of you have broken cradles and Samsung seems to have turned a deaf ear to it. I am still trying to decide.

I've been removing the Gear S from the wristband and wrapped a rubberband around the watch body and the cradle which works for me. One end of the cradle still snaps in the opposite end has the rubberband on it. Don't let this issue keep you from buying the Gear S, since you know that this can be a issue just be cautious about it. I would recommend removing the watch from the wristband if you need the extended charge. One end of my clip broke because I snapped the cradle on the Gear S and placed it in my backpack. I think the stress on the wristband which was in my backback cause the cradle to snap loose an break the clip. If your going to use the extended charge on your charger to recharge your watch make sure you remove the body of the Gear S from the wristband before placing it in your pocket, purse or backpack.
This needs to be in the care instructions.
I think the Gear S is leaps and bounds above any other smart watch on the market I would recommend it to anyone who wants a smartwatch an who has the Samsung brand phones with android 4.4 OS and above.

DroidSnack

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I guess I am the lone voice of dissent.

Had about every major Sammy phone going back to 610. (720 is all time fav in its era)

Had Gear 1 and Gear S since the day they came out.

I really liked the Gear 1 (except charging cradle was touchy) (and glad I didn't sell it).

The Gear S?
1- Barely fits under most shirt sleeves. It's huge.
2- no camera.
3- charger/battery is nice, but my battery life is not improved over Gear 1.
4- Screen is gorgeous. But what for!? No camera - so what, so what. I got a better screen in my pocket.
5- S-Health is of zero value. This is junk from start-to-finish. Not even a good toy.
6- Almost all of the Gear S related software is expensive and "use once and forget".
7- Notifications are difficult to sort out and rarely mean anything. Gear 1 was very easy to track, setup, and use.
8- Why does it not have a "back" button, or a "menu" button like all sammy phones? There is plenty of room for it. Swiping is a pain.
9- Phone? WTF - WHY? it makes ZERO usable sense and I have yet to use it. I have superior phone in my pocket 24x7. Why does it have this feature? Just stupid to have a phone on it. Only those showing off are leaving their phones at home and using the watch as a phone.
10- Contract? A freaking cell phone contract for my watch.
11- New Smartwatch coming out in a month will make it obsolete. Gee thanks - now stuck with that useless cell contract for another 22 months.

So far, it is a bigger, bulker, harder to operate version of the Gear 1.

Bottomline:

Gear 1 was serious compliment to Note series of phones.

Gear S? A toy.

Next stop - ebay.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I guess I am the lone voice of dissent.

Had about every major Sammy phone going back to 610. (720 is all time fav in its era)

Had Gear 1 and Gear S since the day they came out.

I really liked the Gear 1 (except charging cradle was touchy) (and glad I didn't sell it).

The Gear S?

Bottomline:

Gear 1 was serious compliment to Note series of phones.

Gear S? A toy.

Next stop - ebay.

DroidSnack, Thanks for the input I appreciate both sides of opinions fir this.

InfamousUnknown

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had a 1, but the phone is the only reason that I was able to convince my wife to get a smart watch. Having the standalone watch allows you to leave the phone behind and still have basic functionality.

If you don't want that then no, the S isn't for you.

But it is no more a Toy than any other smart watch. I can argue it is actually a lot more useful for those times you don't carry your phone, or the power runs out on it as a backup.

DroidSnack

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
> Having the standalone watch allows you to leave the
> phone behind and still have basic functionality.

Why would you ever do this?

My Notes 2/3/4 effectively replaced:
80% of my tablet time. (not sure why I need a tablet with a note 4 around)
50% of my laptop time. (don't need it for social sites anymore)
50% of my desktop time (no more running for email, social, etc. Only need for real kb / dev work)

Why would I give all that up to walk around with a phone on my wrist?
I just can't envision a scenario where my phone would not be within arms reach of a smart watch on my wrist.

Seriously, why would ever leave your phone at home?

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had a 1, but the phone is the only reason that I was able to convince my wife to get a smart watch. Having the standalone watch allows you to leave the phone behind and still have basic functionality.

If you don't want that then no, the S isn't for you.

But it is no more a Toy than any other smart watch. I can argue it is actually a lot more useful for those times you don't carry your phone, or the power runs out on it as a backup.

InfamousUnknown, Thanks for responding. I appreciate the info.

InfamousUnknown

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Do you never exercise? Do you never happen to be wearing something without a lot of pockets and run into the store?

Do you ever simply forget your phone? Has your phone ever been nearly dead and you need to leave it on the charger?

My wife takes it with her on long runs, even though she uses the Garmin for the actual tracking. I use it remote connected once or twice a week.

I don't care if you don't use it, but there are clearly use cases for it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej