Any news about the S4 damaged SD card problem?

bugeyed

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to read about a fix for this problem & most threads end up being about ways to recover the data. Are we expecting a Kit Kat upgrade to fix this? I am using a T-Mobile S4 on Walmart Family Mobile BTW. I have heard too many blame the Sandisk cards & others say that the Samsung cards do not have the problem. I need to know if this phone will ever work with an external SD card & would like to know what the consensus is regarding a fix.

Thanks,
kev

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to read about a fix for this problem & most threads end up being about ways to recover the data. Are we expecting a Kit Kat upgrade to fix this? I am using a T-Mobile S4 on Walmart Family Mobile BTW. I have heard too many blame the Sandisk cards & others say that the Samsung cards do not have the problem. I need to know if this phone will ever work with an external SD card & would like to know what the consensus is regarding a fix.

Thanks,
kev
Most of the threads I've seen with this issue are indeed SanDisk cards. I'm using one myself and not having any issues with it, but I'm only using a class 4 card, as opposed to the class 10 or higher that a lot of people seem to like
Are you having issues with the card?

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The ISOLATED problem seems to be with the 64GB cards. I say isolated because it is a very small percentage of those sold that come up with an issue.

Kit kat supposedly solves the issue, and if you google it, there are a few other fixes.

I have had my 32GB SD card for years without an issue or one getting eaten (s3, s4, note3, S1, Charge, and that is just naming the Samsung ones)

bugeyed

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Most of the threads I've seen with this issue are indeed SanDisk cards. I'm using one myself and not having any issues with it, but I'm only using a class 4 card, as opposed to the class 10 or higher that a lot of people seem to like
Are you having issues with the card?
Yes, on 3 or 4 occasions. I have a Patriot 8GB class 10 card & each time the S4 has reported "Damaged SD card". The most recent event was without me having written anything to the card & it being installed for a week. No apps reside there & I had not even accessed the card manually. I believe that the last 2 failures coincided with shutting the phone off. After reformatting, all seems fine. I will try a slower card & see what happens. BTW have had the phone since December.
kev