Any tethering apps that work with the S4?

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
FoxFi isn't working anymore. It says I need to contact AT&T to enable the mobile hotspot.

This seems to be a problem with Jelly Bean with all apps I tried.

What works? Any prospects that these apps will be updated to work again?

The occasional tether was one of the main reasons I switched from iPhone to Android (paying $30/month for an unlimited plan of which I still only use about 2 GB/month, tethering amounting to about 10% of that, paying for tethering seemed insane).

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
try Portable Wifi hotspot widget... by taiseiko... works greak on my s4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Open Garden - bluetooth

Easy Tether - usb

(They work with Jellybean, you can read the reviews to see if they work with the S4. Both are free, but you can upgrade Easy Tether for more functionality.)

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
If it's really important you can root, also iPhone are not for me but my daughter Def tethers her laptop and tablet with hers, not the point though sorry

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know that was an option. I'll have to look into it as Open Garden is hit or miss.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If u are rooted try the TrevE mod for Wireless Tether for root users app over at XDA. Works real well.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know but PDANet latest version that uses FoxFi has been working great for me since day 1 on my S4, I just tested it again and it worked. I'm on AT&T.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know but PDANet latest version that uses FoxFi has been working great for me since day 1 on my S4, I just tested it again and it worked. I'm on AT&T.

That is so odd. I can't even download PDANet+. Gives explicit message that it is not available with my carrier (AT&T). I have the FoxFi app installed, but can't start it. Do you start tethering from within FoxFi or from within PDANet? Why are these two apps when they work together btw?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Are you referring to wifi tethering or USB/bluetooth? I can't get either of those to work on AT&T. How do you get them to work? This is very strange...

Wifi tether and USB both works great with PDANet and FoxFi, it stopped working since Jelly bean update but after latest version adding FoxFi just in time for my S4 purchase back on 4/27, I've been using it A LOT, and like I said, I just tried it and it worked.

Bluetooth tether is not needed on my end so I don't know about it.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
FoxFi isn't working anymore. It says I need to contact AT&T to enable the mobile hotspot.

This seems to be a problem with Jelly Bean with all apps I tried.

What works? Any prospects that these apps will be updated to work again?

The occasional tether was one of the main reasons I switched from iPhone to Android (paying $30/month for an unlimited plan of which I still only use about 2 GB/month, tethering amounting to about 10% of that, paying for tethering seemed insane).
FOXFI, works well with the S4.... what happens is that when you first turn it on, you will get the message you stated... I got it from TMobile. What you do is when you get the message disregard it and if you get the tethering screen, go ahead and turn it off. If not go to the settings and turn it off and your FOXFI will work fine.. I use it all the time to give internet to my tablet. .....I only had to do it the first time.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
FOXFI, works well with the S4.... what happens is that when you first turn it on, you will get the message you stated... I got it from TMobile. What you do is when you get the message disregard it and if you get the tethering screen, go ahead and turn it off. If not go to the settings and turn it off and your FOXFI will work fine.. I use it all the time to give internet to my tablet. .....I only had to do it the first time.

OK: if I ignore the message stating that I need to dial 611 (i.e., I don't click "OK") the hotspot seems to be working at least temporarily. Is that what you mean I should do?

Can you explain more what you mean by "if you get the tethering screen, go ahead and turn it off. If not go to the settings and turn it off and your FOXFI will work fine.."? I am not getting to a tethering screen, and don't know where to find it in settings.

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't work for me.. What carrier are you with?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I have the same phone as you Sprint gs4 L720 rooted and have the sane reigned finding a wireless hotspot app that works so I can hook my Xbox 360 up to it.. I've read you need VPN shield also and trevEs mod Wi-Fi doesn't work neither does wireless tether. Any ideas?