Anyone dropping the Note 3 to go back to the S4 once 4.3 hits?

jwlehman1

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
ComMan2012...would you please post a picture of the phone on your wrist? I saw one in my local phone store and that security harness they have it mounted on makes it impossible to try the watch on and get a feel for how goofy or otherwise it might look.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
ComMan2012...would you please post a picture of the phone on your wrist? I saw one in my local phone store and that security harness they have it mounted on makes it impossible to try the watch on and get a feel for how goofy or otherwise it might look.

Here's a few pics of the gear and other watches.

2013-10-31 12.07.35_resized_1.jpg
20131031_120513-1_resized_1.jpg
20131031_120640-1_resized_1.jpg

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Well that isn't why everyone is against it... The price is one thing for me.. I think 300 is alot for a watch but m actual main reason is... Why? To see I got a text that I have to pull my phone out anyway to respond to? Doesn't seem good to me. Why pay for the 700 device if I'm not going to utilize that?

I just personally don't see a good fit for me with the watch.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

FYI, u do not need to pull out your phone to respond to a text with the gear. The gear has s voice that u can use to respond and it works well.

Also, using the gear will extend the battery life on your phone.

One of my favorite features is controlling the media player thru the watch, no need to pull out the phone because u can start, stop, fast forward, rewind and control the volume thru ur watch. And if its connected to a sound bar or a jam box it will work with that too.

Another great feature is that u can use the watch to unlock ur phone when its connected to it. no need to use the pattern or pin unlock when its connected and if u walk a few feet away from your phone it somehow knows it and makes u use the pattern or pin to unlock it even though its still connected to the gear via bluetooth, a great security feature! This allows us security freaks to be able to use the quick app swipes when u wake up the phone. A feature u wouldn't be able to use if the phone is locked without the gear.

S4 Screen Pic1.jpg

And this is just the beginning! there's new apps added to gear app store frequently.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
FYI, u do not need to pull out your phone to respond to a text with the gear. The gear has s voice that u can use to respond and it works well.

Also, using the gear will extend the battery life on your phone.

One of my favorite features is controlling the media player thru the watch, no need to pull out the phone because u can start, stop, fast forward, rewind and control the volume thru ur watch. And if its connected to a sound bar or a jam box it will work with that too.

Another great feature is that u can use the watch to unlock ur phone when its connected to it. no need to use the pattern or pin unlock when its connected and if u walk a few feet away from your phone it somehow knows it and makes u use the pattern or pin to unlock it even though its still connected to the gear via bluetooth, a great security feature! This allows us security freaks to be able to use the quick app swipes when u wake up the phone. A feature u wouldn't be able to use if the phone is locked without the gear.

View attachment 89605

And this is just the beginning! there's new apps added to gear app store frequently.

As I said for me.. In my opinion worthless. For you it sounds like it fits... But just remember it's not for all.

For me?..........

Battery life? Never an issue.

Respond to text by voice? Eh.. Don't want people to always hear my messages.

Media player? Never an issue.. If i have headphones on it's on my desk or in the holder on the car right in my face.

Unlock? Don't lock my phones. Quick swipe and done.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
As I said for me.. In my opinion worthless. For you it sounds like it fits... But just remember it's not for all.

For me?..........

Battery life? Never an issue.

Respond to text by voice? Eh.. Don't want people to always hear my messages.

Media player? Never an issue.. If i have headphones on it's on my desk or in the holder on the car right in my face.

Unlock? Don't lock my phones. Quick swipe and done.

Understood. Just trying to help by sharing accurate info.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The media control functions are attractive. I'm sure the software will only get better and maybe with a 30% return rate, Samsung will drop the price then I might take the plunge.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Johnny Umphress

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
When my Verizon contract was up I went for the Galaxy S4. Wonderful phone. But then the Galaxy Note3 came out and I was blown away by it's look and functions. Bought the Note3 outright ($740) and sold my S4 ($300). Best $440 I've spent so far. I love this Note3 and glad I moved up.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I would love one. Take calls, check texts, take quick pics and even have it alert your phone if you can't remember where you put it down. For me the function and enough features are there I just don't know if it's worth $300 to me. $200 I'd probably buy one no problem but $300 just seams like too much. I'm on the fence for one myself

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I felt the same way. For $200 I would be all over it, but I recently sold some car parts I had laying around and had a huge influx of cash so I picked it up. The hardware is definitely worth the $300 pricetag, but the current software is probably only worth about $150-$200 to most people, if that. I'm sure after a few updates it will do more with more apps.

None of that sounds worth the $300 to me.. Not even $100 worth. If the phones in my pocket why pay so much for that if I'm going to fork out a bunch to see it on my wrist?

Just my opinion :).

Well that isn't why everyone is against it... The price is one thing for me.. I think 300 is alot for a watch but m actual main reason is... Why? To see I got a text that I have to pull my phone out anyway to respond to? Doesn't seem good to me. Why pay for the 700 device if I'm not going to utilize that?

I just personally don't see a good fit for me with the watch.

Yeah, it's not for everyone. For me it's great. I get hundreds of notifications while I'm at work and am not able to pull out my phone to check them (I'm a high school teacher). Looking at my watch and dismissing all the non essential notifications is worth it for me.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I felt the same way. For $200 I would be all over it, but I recently sold some car parts I had laying around and had a huge influx of cash so I picked it up. The hardware is definitely worth the $300 pricetag, but the current software is probably only worth about $150-$200 to most people, if that. I'm sure after a few updates it will do more with more apps.

Yeah, it's not for everyone. For me it's great. I get hundreds of notifications while I'm at work and am not able to pull out my phone to check them (I'm a high school teacher). Looking at my watch and dismissing all the non essential notifications is worth it for me.

Same here! I'm in construction so I rather not take the phone out of my pocket at a job site every half hour to check my notifications. It's easy to replace a 300 watch, but once you break a S4 or a note3 it's 700+ to replace.

The watch is durable... not a scratch on it yet!

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Same here! I'm in construction so I rather not take the phone out of my pocket at a job site every half hour to check my notifications. It's easy to replace a 300 watch, but once you break a S4 or a note3 it's 700+ to replace.

The watch is durable... not a scratch on it yet!
Yeah, I've banged it up against some hard corners and still not a scratch on it.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Trust me, everyone that is against the gear is harping on the price and not giving the device a fare shot. I purchased a low end watch from Michael kors for around 300... and all it does is tell time!

Everyone on the fence... do yourself a favor and go to bestbuy and purchase the watch. Use it for at least 10 days and if you're not hooked just take it back to best buy for a full refund and no questions asked! I guarantee that 8 out of 10 users will decide to hold on to it. And those that do return it won't ever have to live with the what-ifs!

Just my 2 helpful cents!

Ummm....no.

Ok, with price not being a factor, one of the reasons I stopped wearing a watch was because I started using a cell phone. Even though I'm old enough that I owned a beeper/pager, I still wore a watch. The only watch I'd wear would have to be a good couple of months worth a mortgage payments...so we're talking Omegas, Tag Heuers, Movados (well...maybe a portion of a mortgage payment...), etc.

Charging the Gear everyday is another turn off. Everyday...(f)orget that.

Now lets look at the pros.....oooo, I can see who texted/called me a few seconds earlier than if I just reached into my pocket? C'mon....lol.

Sorry, but I just don't see the value in plopping down $299 just to try it out...the value just isn't there.

Edit: By the way, I am just speaking for me...I'm not a teacher nor do I work construction. I'm in IT, and as someone who carries two phones (Droid Razr Maxx and Note 3) I don't mind not having a Gear. I'm not cheap, though I am practical. I wasn't acting practical in getting the Note 3 (I usually wait a while before I get "hot" phones) but the Note 3 was a notable exception (pardon the pun.) I saw a guy pick up his Gear and I just couldn't rationalize to myself to get it. I understand the pros, but I don't see value.

Also, the Note 3's screen is amazing...Many people don't like the size, but I have big hands, and I can do one handed operation without that functionality of the keyboard going side to side...(either the left or right hand...lmao.) It helps that I swype too... :p

Edit: the S4 does offer full HD as well, and would offer better picture if one goes by specs, but going Note means I can't go back to a smaller screen. I have retracted my statement about the S4...but N3 overally is still a much better phone. Not retracting that one.

Last edited:

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I seriously doubt the software update will fix screen issues not to burst anyone's bubble. The s4 does have a higher resolution obviously then the note 3. Personally I think the s4 screen looks better. If screen is the only feature you want you're not focusing on the experience which you should

Posted via Android Central App

JoeyyNY

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Don't know about that. Most reviews said it was brighter and better color reproduction. Even from my own experience or in public at bars and stores and with friends that have an S4. People commented on how much smoother it seams and that even the screen looks better overall. I have both and while I can agree it's not night and day I did feel the same way others did comparing the two.

Now I also read the S4 screen will look better after the 4.3 update so maybe the slight difference right now is in the software cause don't they use literally the same screen tech? So the S4 may look better after the update if they alter the brightness and colors and with the higher ppi.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Beautiful screen, Beast processor, 3gb ram hmmm note 3 it is.

Sent from my Sexy Galaxy Note 3

JoeyyNY

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Ummm....no.

Ok, with price not being a factor, one of the reasons I stopped wearing a watch was because I started using a cell phone. Even though I'm old enough that I owned a beeper/pager, I still wore a watch. The only watch I'd wear would have to be a good couple of months worth a mortgage payments...so we're talking Omegas, Tag Heuers, Movados (well...maybe a portion of a mortgage payment...), etc.

Now lets look at the pros.....oooo, I can see who texted/called me a few seconds earlier than if I just reached into my pocket? C'mon....lol.

Sorry, but I just don't see the value in plopping down $299 just to try it out...the value just isn't there.

Edit: By the way, I am just speaking for me...I'm not a teacher nor do I work construction. I'm in IT, and as someone who carries two phones (Droid Razr Maxx and Note 3) I don't mind not having a Gear. I'm not cheap, though I am practical. I wasn't acting practical in getting the Note 3 (I usually wait a while before I get "hot" phones) but the Note 3 was a notable exception (pardon the pun.) I saw a guy pick up his Gear and I just couldn't rationalize to myself to get it. I understand the pros, but I don't see value.

Also, the Note 3's screen is amazing...only Samsung device that offers full 1920x1080 HD AND 1080p video on the device looks effing amazing!! The S4 is just "ok" compared to the video....many people don't like the size, but I have big hands, and I can do one handed operation without that functionality of the keyboard going side to side...(either the left or right hand...lmao.) It helps that I swype too... :p

Your absolutely right you don't see the value.. On the other hand I do, If I were to spend 300 on a watch why not the gear? Does way more then a Gucci watch for sure.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Ummm....no.

Also, the Note 3's screen is amazing...only Samsung device that offers full 1920x1080 HD AND 1080p video on the device looks effing amazing!! The S4 is just "ok" compared to the video....many people don't like the size, but I have big hands, and I can do one handed operation without that functionality of the keyboard going side to side...(either the left or right hand...lmao.) It helps that I swype too... :p

Prime Example of someone not giving the gear a fair shot... Only pro is that It can only see who texts and calls me??? Come on dude, It does way more than that. Also, I don't need to charge my watch every day. It definitely last 2 days form me, but since u never owned one how would u know that?. And if u did need to charge it everyday... What's the big deal? U charge your phone everyday. it's not like people sleep with their watches on anyway.

I would love to hear accurate criticism from someone. Like I said initially everyones harping on the price. I can respect the fact that people do not want to spend 300 dollars on a smart watch that's a cell phone accessory, but don't say it's not worth it if u never had one.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Your absolutely right you don't see the value.. On the other hand I do, If I were to spend 300 on a watch why not the gear? Does way more then a Gucci watch for sure.

Prime Example of someone not giving the gear a fair shot... Only pro is that It can only see who texts and calls me??? Come on dude, It does way more than that. Also, I don't need to charge my watch every day. It definitely last 2 days form me, but since u never owned one how would u know that?. And if u did need to charge it everyday... What's the big deal? U charge your phone everyday. it's not like people sleep with their watches on anyway.

I would love to hear accurate criticism from someone. Like I said initially everyones harping on the price. I can respect the fact that people do not want to spend 300 dollars on a smart watch that's a cell phone accessory, but don't say it's not worth it if u never had one.

Did I, at any point, attack either of you or Gear owners? I didn't right? In fact, if you re-read my post, you would probably say that I was pretty respectful, right? I'm attacking what I perceive to be the value of the Gear, not you, or anyone in your family.

Yes, my opinion is based on the critical reviews I've read, so it is largely anecdotal. Coupled with that my own opinion on how unstylish the watch itself looks and for the limited functionality a $300 device does, and yeah, I don't, personally, see any value in the gear.

Also, there is a difference between "price" and "value." When I mention "value" I'm not talking about "price." For example, I bought the Note 3 the day it first dropped on Verizon. I could have waited for the price to fall down (and it will, considerably by Black Friday...that's almost a guarantee...definitely by Christmas, and even definitely still by the time the S5 rolls around.) However, I saw "value" in owning it the first available second I could. Best phone I ever owned, period. Taking notes at meetings is sweet, playing music/video is sweet when I'm not using it for productivity, phone calls are even good...there is hardly anything wrong with the Note 3, in my eyes. I dropped $310 (to include tax) just so I could be among the first to have this phone and I am not disappointed.

So yeah, whether the Gear is $50, $300 or $200 or a $150, I just don't see the value in this watch. Yes I never slept with my watches...but charging it everyday? For that, I might as well get one of those real old school timepieces where you'd have to wind them up every day....it's more of an annoyance than anything...

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Did I, at any point, attack either of you or Gear owners? I didn't right? In fact, if you re-read my post, you would probably say that I was pretty respectful, right? I'm attacking what I perceive to be the value of the Gear, not you, or anyone in your family.

Yes, my opinion is based on the critical reviews I've read, so it is largely anecdotal. Coupled with that my own opinion on how unstylish the watch itself looks and for the limited functionality a $300 device does, and yeah, I don't, personally, see any value in the gear.

Also, there is a difference between "price" and "value." When I mention "value" I'm not talking about "price." For example, I bought the Note 3 the day it first dropped on Verizon. I could have waited for the price to fall down (and it will, considerably by Black Friday...that's almost a guarantee...definitely by Christmas, and even definitely still by the time the S5 rolls around.) However, I saw "value" in owning it the first available second I could. Best phone I ever owned, period. Taking notes at meetings is sweet, playing music/video is sweet when I'm not using it for productivity, phone calls are even good...there is hardly anything wrong with the Note 3, in my eyes. I dropped $310 (to include tax) just so I could be among the first to have this phone and I am not disappointed.

So yeah, whether the Gear is $50, $300 or $200 or a $150, I just don't see the value in this watch. Yes I never slept with my watches...but charging it everyday? For that, I might as well get one of those real old school timepieces where you'd have to wind them up every day....it's more of an annoyance than anything...

Not sure what u mean by "attack" but I just simply responded respectfully to a post that u quoted me on and I backed it up with facts and first hand user experiences.

I base my purchases on the positive reviews of people that actually have the product that I intend to buy. It's very helpful in my eyes... I'm just paying it forward.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what u mean by "attack" but I just simply responded respectfully to a post that u quoted me on and I backed it up with facts and first hand user experiences.

I base my purchases on the positive reviews of people that actually have the product that I intend to buy. It's very helpful in my eyes... I'm just paying it forward.

My purchases are based on fact too, as well as how I would personally use a product. If I don't find it valuable/worth my time, I don't buy it.

I don't need a first-hand account to know I won't like something...and I'm sure neither do you...I am sure I can come up with at least one example of something you may not have first hand knowledge but that you probably won't care for. I'm a reasonably intelligent human being that can go by prior or anecdotal knowledge of things that would inconvenience me...charging a watch every day, or every two days would. Wearing a watch, period, would. Unless it was something high end...

I do thank you for paying it forward...and even though we have differing opinions, I do respect yours. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter