Anyone else agree with MKBHD about the looks of the camera?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I like the look of the cameras, but I can see why some wouldn't. I did not like the weird (to me) bump of the S21 Ultra. I would otherwise rather have the Note 20 Ultra camera platform bump instead of the S21 Ultra.

Absence of a large platform for the cameras, the cameras on their own give an illusion that the phone is thinner I think, but looking at the specs, the phone is actually thicker than the Note 20 Ultra. The S22 Ultra is thicker, wider, but less tall than the Note 20 Ultra.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
There's seriously like no difference between a S and Note. Flush the S-Pen down the toilet bowl, take a grinder and slightly round the corners, and there you have an S series lol.

ladiinay

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
It reminds me of the Note 10 Plus without the black border. Bigger lens, and the cameras and flash to the right of it.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
But the thing is... I think everyone can pretty much agree from design and function... DNA... the S22 Ultra is just a re-badged Note that was probably the shelved Note 21 Ultra (my opinion) and that was revived, re-badged and spec updated to be called the S22 Ultra.

What was suppose to be the next year update to the S21 Ultra?? ... It got shelved/moved to the side in favor of keeping the S-series to three models and using the Note as their flagship phone.

I'm really surprised they didn't do (4) an S, S+, S Ultra and S Note. Or get rid of the S or S+ instead and keep the quad camera S Ultra and design with the S Note Ultra because their will be purist S fans that don't want the Note square edged design and shape as well as the S-Pen.

Now what they do for next year will be interesting... Does the S22 Ultra sell well that they keep the S-Pen/silo in the Ultra or drop it again and bring back the S Ultra we know from the S21? Will they keep the design language the same or actually re-design to bring it more into the S/S+ series? Do they go with 4 variants? We'll see.

All I'm saying is we have the s22 ultra and no Note. Seems clear that by giving the Ultra and the fold S pen functionality. The writing was on the wall concerning the future of the Note series.

Last edited:

Ninjarette

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I liked how Note looked but never got it before since I didn't think I'd use S Pen. Then I got Tab S6 Lite and use S Pen all the time, so I wanted it. LOL

I always liked the way the Note looked too...but I was committed to the S series, since the S3, so I never took the plunge. I'm weird like that. Lol.

I'm excited to get my 22 Ultra. I never bought a pen for my 21 Ultra, because without it being housed in the phone, I would have lost it too easily. I don't like the cases with a spot for the pen.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I like the look of the cameras, but I can see why some wouldn't. I did not like the weird (to me) bump of the S21 Ultra. I would otherwise rather have the Note 20 Ultra camera platform bump instead of the S21 Ultra.

Absence of a large platform for the cameras, the cameras on their own give an illusion that the phone is thinner I think, but looking at the specs, the phone is actually thicker than the Note 20 Ultra. The S22 Ultra is thicker, wider, but less tall than the Note 20 Ultra.
Hard to say without it being in hand, but looks to me like they got rid of hump because the lenses protrude less from the body.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Iirc, he used the word "basic". There's nothing basic about the back of that phone, imo. He's a smart guy, and I like his channel. I disagree with his opinion on this one.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, I think the majority of reviewers are saying it's not ugly... Just on the plain.

When side by side to the S22/+... I have to say the Ultra backside does look basic and the others looks much better with every year. The bump is not that high anymore and did a good job polishing the bezels and matching the frame around the phone, etc.

Flossy loves the new Ultra back I think? He mentioned it looking like the LG setup of past that he loved. But he also said he cringed when he saw it?? So not sure what he meant. iJustine used the word plain too. I've heard the word plain a number of times. But no one saying it's ugly.

Iirc, he used the word "basic". There's nothing basic about the back of that phone, imo. He's a smart guy, and I like his channel. I disagree with his opinion on this one.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, I think the majority of reviewers are saying it's not ugly... Just on the plain.

When side by side to the S22/+... I have to say the Ultra backside does look basic and the others looks much better with every year. The bump is not that high anymore and did a good job polishing the bezels and matching the frame around the phone, etc.

Flossy loves the new Ultra back I think? He mentioned it looking like the LG setup of past that he loved. But he also said he cringed when he saw it?? So not sure what he meant. iJustine used the word plain too. I've heard the word plain a number of times. But no one saying it's ugly.

Whatev. I disagree with them too. Lol

I say it's not plain or basic because it doesn't look like anything else I've noticed lately. Notice I said what I've noticed. I'm only into Samsung so what I see is severely limited.

Other guys have a bump, this guy has peepholes!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All I'm saying is we have the s22 ultra and no Note. Seems clear that by giving the Ultra and the fold S pen functionality. The writing was on the wall concerning the future of the Note series.

Ok , we dont see eye to eye on this , no problem guess everyone going call it what they think