Anyone Find a Good N6 Replacement?

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Looking for 6in screen, wireless charging, Android 7+ Doesn't have to be stock), and faster proc than my old N6.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Feel your pain.
Everything else is a compromise.
Google/Nexus line has benefits other brands can't match.
SD 805 chipset was the bomb.
Ordered a Pixel which ticks some of the boxes but not all.
It's smooth and fast, battery lasts forever, Great camera which I consider a major benefit.
However nothing runs @ 2.7Gh's now.
No wireless charging/stereo speakers.
Hey, IMO it's the best option.
Good Luck

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm still holding out for something that checks all the major boxes too.

6" display +/-
AMOLED
Current gen SoC
Clean(ish) Android
Wireless charging (big one!)
NFC
Great camera

The GS8+ looks like it'll hit these, though we'll just have to see how annoying Samsung's software is. I haven't used one of their phones in a few years. Oh, and it'll cost a thousand bucks unlocked OR have all kinds of branding and carrier software through AT&T.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Oh, and it'll cost a thousand bucks unlocked
Given what flagship phone pricing is like these days, I'm thinking any phone with a 6" AMOLED panel will be pushing 1K unless it's housed in a cardboard shell and comes with no more than 16GB of storage. But you're right: the S8 and S8+ are currently the only phones worth considering as Nexus 6 replacements. Especially if you add that they'll be universally adopted by all carriers large and small.

But I'm still hoping that a new option later in the year will bring back front-facing speakers as well.

And I guess we should add that anyone thinking about taking advantage of T-Mobile's upcoming LTE-U rollout is gonna need a phone with an 835 SoC.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I worry a bit about what the taller/narrower 6 inch screen on the GS8+ will be like. Sure, 6" diagonally sounds great, but the narrow shape may not make the display appear much bigger or more immersive. If you're holding the phone vertically, the horizontal dimension might feel more like a 5.5 or 5.7 inch device, or if holding the phone in landscape, the vertical dimension may feel like that of a smaller device.

Kinda reminds me of when Apple brought out the iPhone 5 and said "Customers asked for a bigger screen, but you didn't really want bigger...you want TALLER....Eh? Eh??"

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I worry a bit about what the taller/narrower 6 inch screen on the GS8+ will be like. Sure, 6" diagonally sounds great, but the narrow shape may not make the display appear much bigger or more immersive.

I have the same reservations. I'm not going to get excited about this 2:1 aspect ratio thing until I get to see it for myself. And bezels never bothered me as long as there was a good reason for them.

udnh

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
My N6 is starting to age, and I need a better camera. Initially I thought I would replace it with a Pixel, but I feel like the Pixel is not what it should have been and would rather get the Pixel 2 (if it comes to my country that is).

If I can't wait for that long, I might just go for a galaxy S8 (now that they finally got rid of the home button), but after a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 6 it would pain me to abandon stock android and fast updates - although I'm starting to get used to slow or no updates since I'm still on 7.0 and I don't think I'll ever get 7.1.1.

Last edited:

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
While I'm no expert on chipsets, I know a little.
I do not write to praise SD805 but to bury it.
It's an old chipset.
Don't compare it to the 810 however. Samsung refused to utilize due to throttle issues. Which were corrected in rev 2. How? by lowering clock speed, How elegant.
regarding 64 vs 32 bit....not much there.
Due to address space one can bump up ram over 4Gb with 64 bit. Other than that... benefits are few for phones.
82?'s are better all around for processors, have heard no bad things about them.
My Pixel XL runs fast and responsive. Battery lasts full day for me with ample left over for late nights.
Camera is better than all right, makes even me competent.
Miss wireless charging, stereo speakers..
Expensive but .... isn't everything?
7.1.1 OS has some BT issues which were corrected in beta 7.1.2...by regressing Feb patch to January....
Cant' make this stuff up.
How about you?

Last edited:

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the same reservations. I'm not going to get excited about this 2:1 aspect ratio thing until I get to see it for myself. And bezels never bothered me as long as there was a good reason for them.

Great point and one I really didn't think about, certainly worth thinking about. I have a N6 and a Note 5, the N5 is small compared to the N6. I would have liked to try the Mate 9 but non availability through carriers is a shame

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrBrown