Anyone go from an Apple Watch to the Galaxy Active 2?

AR RR

Aug 29, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I’ve used both Apple and Android over the years and currently have an iPhone XS and an Apple Watch Series 4. I’m tempted by the upcoming Galaxy S20 and the Galaxy Active 2. I mostly use the Apple Watch for notifications and Apple Pay and don’t use the health features or any of the more advanced features.

Any inputs from people that have done this in the past?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a XS Max w/ LTE Apple Watch Series 5 and a Note 10+ w either Active 2 (LTE) or S3 Frontier (BT only). I'd say overall I like the Apple Watch better. but there's a big caveat. The square face (which is polarizing to say the least) is much better for notifications. I also find the Apple Watch to be more comfortable than my Samsung watches. For me personally, the UI is better on the Apple Watch as well. The few apps I do use are nonexistent on Samsung watches. In fact apps in general aren't very good unless they're made by Samsung. I know you mentioned not using the health features, but Apple Watch is more accurate.

Now here's the caveat. Battery life is actually worse on my LTE Series 5 Apple Watch than it was on my Series 3 LTE. Like I don't even get a full day out of the Series 5, whereas when my Series 3 was new I got 2 full days. Battery life is more important to me so I don't even bother with my Series 5 anymore. Niggles aside my Active 2 and S3 both get way better battery life. As in 2-3 times better depending on how much I use my watch. I do prefer the physical rotating bezel on the S3/Galaxy Watch over the software one on the Active 2. I'd give the Galaxy Watch a look as well as the Active 2.

So overall, functionally the Apple Watch is better, but the difference isn't staggering. On the other hand, you'll get much better battery life on the Samsung watches.

AR RR

Aug 29, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for the answer, it’s helpful.

What do you use for texting? A year and a half ago I was using and loved Textra but I did not have a smart watch at that time. The main reason I’m asking is for notification syncing. I read a text on my watch and I don’t have an icon on my phone saying I haven’t read the message type of thing.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

What do you use for texting? A year and a half ago I was using and loved Textra but I did not have a smart watch at that time. The main reason I’m asking is for notification syncing. I read a text on my watch and I don’t have an icon on my phone saying I haven’t read the message type of thing.

I was using Samsung's Messaging app before the RCS rollout for Google's Messaging app. Now I use Google's. I prefer Samsung's honestly, but I like having RCS. I used to use Textra, but haven't since I started with Samsung's watches. Not sure how well the watch will work with it. Google's and Samsung's Messaging apps both work fine.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I used an apple watch series 5 before moving to a pixel 4 and watch active 2. The Apple watch is miles better at everything but battery life. It's faster, has more storage, the app selection isn't even comparable etc.

Unless you use the Samsung messaging app with the Samsung phone, you won't have a messaging app on your watch. I use Google messages, but I can only respond and see incoming messages. I can't open a Google messages app on the watch and see other conversation threads.

I prefer Android to iOS by long shot, but the watch situation is disappointing compared to the Apple watch.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have both and prefer to use the Active 2, even with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I will say that my use of either smartwatch is pretty limited. I use it for seeing time, date, weather battery life, etc. on the watch face, viewing email, text and other notifications, controlling music and exercise/health tracking. I do not respond to emails, etc. from the watch. Too much opportunity to mess something up.

I like the larger face of the Active 2, the brighter screen, the better battery life, better watch faces (again a matter of preference) and it is more intuitive for me to use. It is just easier for me to see and use, again for the things that matter to me.

I hate the smaller screen on the Apple Watch 5. I hate that it auto dims to the point where I cannot see it in dark environments and there is no setting to adjust it. I hate that the stem gets pushed accidentally all the time. If it is facing out, it gets pushed when I work out. If it is facing it, my dress shirts press it. Battery life is terrible compared to the Active 2. I do like that the AW5 is lighter. It does have more options for using it without having to pick up the phone. Health tracking is more accurate.

Again, my uses are more limited than many, but for me, the Active 2 is better. I don't talk to my watch (phone calls, dictation, Siri or Google Assistant, etc.). I don't try to type on my watch. I have the bluetooth varieties and not the LTE versions so I always have my phone with me, too.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have both and prefer to use the Active 2, even with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I will say that my use of either smartwatch is pretty limited. I use it for seeing time, date, weather battery life, etc. on the watch face, viewing email, text and other notifications, controlling music and exercise/health tracking. I do not respond to emails, etc. from the watch. Too much opportunity to mess something up.

I like the larger face of the Active 2, the brighter screen, the better battery life, better watch faces (again a matter of preference) and it is more intuitive for me to use. It is just easier for me to see and use, again for the things that matter to me.

I hate the smaller screen on the Apple Watch 5. I hate that it auto dims to the point where I cannot see it in dark environments and there is no setting to adjust it. I hate that the stem gets pushed accidentally all the time. If it is facing out, it gets pushed when I work out. If it is facing it, my dress shirts press it. Battery life is terrible compared to the Active 2. I do like that the AW5 is lighter. It does have more options for using it without having to pick up the phone. Health tracking is more accurate.

Again, my uses are more limited than many, but for me, the Active 2 is better. I don't talk to my watch (phone calls, dictation, Siri or Google Assistant, etc.). I don't try to type on my watch. I have the bluetooth varieties and not the LTE versions so I always have my phone with me, too.

Which size Apple Watch do you have? My 44mm AW S5 screen feels bigger than my 44mm Active Watch 2. That may be because the square face fits more info in an easier for me to read layout.
I also find the Apple Watch much more intuitive with better watch faces. But as you mentioned, that's more personal preference than fact. Granted, there are tons of watch faces on the Galaxy Store, but personally I find most of them tacky. I think one reason I prefer Apple Watch faces better has to do with better/more complications available.
It's no contest with battery life though. My Watch Active 2 lasts at least twice the amount of time as my Apple Watch, and my S3 Frontier lasts at least three times as long as my Apple Watch.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have the 44 mm. It may just be the layout on the AW5 that makes it seem smaller. I use the Premium Analog watch face on the Active 2. It is easy to view at a glance.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have the 44 mm. It may just be the layout on the AW5 that makes it seem smaller. I use the Premium Analog watch face on the Active 2. It is easy to view at a glance.

That's actually the same one I use as well on my Active 2.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the iPhone 11 Pro Max and the Apple Watch Series 5 (WiFi) 44 mm. I just picked up the Note 10+ along with the 44 mm Watch Active 2. I love the rounded body of the Active 2 vs t he Square body of the Series 5 and the customization options available on the Active 2. I do wish there were a few more 3rd part integrations available on the Active 2. The Series 5 is loaded with integration options. So far though I'm loving my Note 10+ and my Active 2.

AR RR

Aug 29, 2019
Visit site
I've been using the Active 2 for a a bit and my take on it is that it mirrors what was said in this thread. Great battery life but not as developed as the Apple Watch.

I was just wondering if there is a recommended email program for the Active 2 that has the ability to "Mark as Read" emails from the watch? The only one that I saw that was any good was AquaMail but it is a $30 purchase. I don't mind doing that for 1 year as a one time thing to give it time for the software to get more advanced but just thought I'd check here first. (Outlook, Samsung Email don't have that feature which for me is incredibly useful)

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

I use Textra and just got the Active 2 my text sync to the watch if that's what you mean? I get notifications and can reply! I know this is a couple months old but I just got the Active 2 last Saturday and am reading about it on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz