Anyone hear creaking?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Htc just sent me this:

We are sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your new Sensation.

This is not an issue that we are currently aware of; therefore, please contact your carrier for repair/replacement information regarding the device.

We do apologize for any inconveniences that this may have caused.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Htc just sent me this:

We are sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your new Sensation.

This is not an issue that we are currently aware of; therefore, please contact your carrier for repair/replacement information regarding the device.

We do apologize for any inconveniences that this may have caused.

Well today I'm gonna be out by the T-Mobile store so I'm gonna walk in and ask them if this they think this is normal. I'm also gonna play with the demo unit. Either its an issue or its not. I want to be rest assured on this and soon.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I went and the girl at the T-Mobile store said she didn't hear anything, then she had to really put it to her ear to hear anything. The demo unit didn't do it as much as mine because it was locked down by a metal grip which was very tight on the phone. They told me its the unibody construction and I could exchange it if I wanted but it wasn't really necessary. I didn't really want to ask them for a new unit just to test so I'm just gonna live with it. It's really not bad at all and only happens if you really tap hard towards the bottom of the screen. No phone will be perfect.

BTW, Droid do you suffer from OCD lol? I DO ):

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Totally ocd, especially with my electronics.

Anywho, went to tmobile, and the rep noticed it right away. She switched me out and the new one is rock solid. I hve noticed that the latch release on this new one sticks out further and is a little harder to press, so maybe that was one of the reasons.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

Anywho, went to tmobile, and the rep noticed it right away. She switched me out and the new one is rock solid. I hve noticed that the latch release on this new one sticks out further and is a little harder to press, so maybe that was one of the reasons.

Well they told me mine was fine but now after reading you exchanged yours I'm a little confused on what to do? Do you hear any creaking at all with your new device? I hear my creaking towards the home key but its barely noticeable. What do you think I should do? I was kind of under the impression it was normal but I guess it isn't?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Well they told me mine was fine but now after reading you exchanged yours I'm a little confused on what to do? Do you hear any creaking at all with your new device? I hear my creaking towards the home key but its barely noticeable. What do you think I should do? I was kind of under the impression it was normal but I guess it isn't?

Personally I'd swap it out. It won't hurt anything.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Personally I'd swap it out. It won't hurt anything.

Well the thing is they told me its not defective lol. I'm still actually wondering if we're even on the same page. What exactly did you hear on your other device?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Well the thing is they told me its not defective lol. I'm still actually wondering if we're even on the same page. What exactly did you hear on your other device?

Uhmm...the only way to describe it was creaking. It was like the rear cover portion was out of tolerance, and because of that the main assembly wasn't sitting right and was moving around. If I pressed on the front corner I was able to get it to move up and down, and it would creak.

Also: It doesn't matter what the t-mobile reps say. Most don't want to swap out a device they could sell for a defective one, because it costs them SPIFFs or other sales incentives. HTC has said point blank that the device is defective if it does it, and that T-mobile needs to replace it. If the reps don't believe you, email HTC and get them to email you back, or just show them this thread.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Uhmm...the only way to describe it was creaking. It was like the rear cover portion was out of tolerance, and because of that the main assembly wasn't sitting right and was moving around. If I pressed on the front corner I was able to get it to move up and down, and it would creak.

Also: It doesn't matter what the t-mobile reps say. Most don't want to swap out a device they could sell for a defective one, because it costs them SPIFFs or other sales incentives. HTC has said point blank that the device is defective if it does it, and that T-mobile needs to replace it. If the reps don't believe you, email HTC and get them to email you back, or just show them this thread.

Thanks. When I press the front corner I only hear creaking. The screen doesn't move. When I press the lower portion of the screen I hear creaking. Of course ya really gotta press it which makes me think its normal.

I made a video and tried my best to replicate it. Ignore that background noise. I think that was my camera. As you can see, its very difficult to hear it but you can hear it. I'm almost thinking that its suppose to make that noise.

YouTube - ‪M4H00783‬‏

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

After reading your post, last night I barely got any sleep. So, next morning in my coffee brake, I went to the T-Mobile store and a girl working there is using a Sensation. We compared our phones ;) and hers was not creaking. We took the back covers out, swapped them and now mine was not creaking but hers did. They replaced my cover with one of a new phone and now it's "rock solid" like Droid said. Apparently the back was not built properly. So Matt, if you read this, go and you can at least try a different cover on your phone and show them the difference and get yours replaced.

Reactions: MattMJB0188

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys I'm going tomorrow night after work. No matter what I'll make sure I leave there with a replacement. Just didn't want to go this route because I have the phone all setup. Will I have to get download apps that are alreadyon my sd card on the new phone?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
After reading your post, last night I barely got any sleep. So, next morning in my coffee brake, I went to the T-Mobile store and a girl working there is using a Sensation. We compared our phones ;) and hers was not creaking. We took the back covers out, swapped them and now mine was not creaking but hers did. They replaced my cover with one of a new phone and now it's "rock solid" like Droid said. Apparently the back was not built properly. So Matt, if you read this, go and you can at least try a different cover on your phone and show them the difference and get yours replaced.

Because of the unique construction of the back cover, I'm thinking it makes it a lot easier for them to get out of tolerance.

Oh! And since you noticed it and had it taken care of, email HTC so they have documentation. (that goes for everyone!)

Reactions: MattMJB0188

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who voiced their input on this matter. I had my phone replaced tonight and its "rock solid." I have also noticed the port on the cover does stick out a little more like Droid said. Hopefully there aren't too many like that because the creaking is really annoying. Seemed to affect the entire unit. Anyway I'm good and enjoying my Sensation!!!!

MrSoulSong

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Just signed up to have my say on this issue.

Got the creaking here also, definitely a design flaw. Being obsessive with my devices i couldnt live with it!

I do not recommend putting paper in the cover to fill the gap, as this is just expanding the cover further making it even MORE loose when the paper is not in there. Also i wouldn't recommend it because the paper pushes the back cover out a little more, you may loose a connection for the ground. Which is the little metal springy thing, half way up the right hand side. Obviously its not a good idea to 'push' the cover further away from this ground spot. I have heard that people have had issues with screen responsiveness due to a static build up from not grounding properly.

What i did to fix this problem was a bit of a kitbash of sorts.

Mine was creaking on the bottom right area, like most. The problem is there is too much play between the little black catches on the battery cover and the latch on the handset. Instead of filling up the gap between the phone and the cover (Ala paper, card in the cover) I closed it!

What you need to do is get some very thin plastic film. Like that on kids toy packaging etc. Not the thicker stuff though. This stuff would be under 1mm thick. It came as a viewing window in the box my new wallet came in. So you can sorta imagine what im talking about.

I cut a piece about 10mm long and as wide as one of the two little black catches. I applied a VERY thin coat of super glue to one end of the film. Just enough to cover the area under the catch. Then i carefully placed the film with the superglue on it under the catch, and then quickly applied some pressure to it with some tweezers. Then i carefully cut the excess off with a pair of finely tipped nail scissors.

The result is that it now PULLS the screen/phone INTO the cover more by making the little black catch thicker. Not the opposite (paper method), which pushes the cover out, creating a further problem of adding more paper under the cover over time as the cover expands/loosens to compensate. Not to mention a possible grounding loss and resulting damage.

Hope this helps some people that have had multiple replacements or could not be bothered replacing for such a cosmetic issue. (Like me). It definitely works, just got to get your surgeon on and be accurate with your placement of the film.

Apply this to what ever side creaks the most, and bam its gone. Nice. Solid phone... again.

If anyone wants more specific details etc, im all ears.

Regards,

Matt.