Anyone Switch to iPhone Max??

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
But $1500 is about two months' rent for me so I'd never want to spend that much on a phone - I definitely agree with you, that's way too much!

A place to live is more important than an expensive phone!

I could afford the iPhone XS Max, but I felt stupid paying so much money for a device that was just an ever so slight of an upgrade from last year's model. There were very little new features. The Note 9 is packed with features. It has a much better cost/feature ratio than the iPhone.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site

I could afford the iPhone XS Max, but I felt stupid paying so much money for a device that was just an ever so slight of an upgrade from last year's model. There were very little new features. The Note 9 is packed with features. It has a much better cost/feature ratio than the iPhone.

Yeah i agree with you. I was a long time iphone user but not this year... i gave samsung another chance and with the note 9 im satisfied so far!

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Not going to lie, it's pretty comical watching all this from both sides. Some people who post both here and iMore saying different things at different places until they finally decide which phone they are going to keep and then they act like the other phone was inferior. This happens on both sides of the argument so not necessarily pointing at just one side.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Not going to lie, it's pretty comical watching all this from both sides. Some people who post both here and iMore saying different things at different places until they finally decide which phone they are going to keep and then they act like the other phone was inferior. This happens on both sides of the argument so not necessarily pointing at just one side.

I've said the same things over on iMore as I did here.

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I've said the same things over on iMore as I did here.

For the most part, yes you have, only thing I can think of you said differently has to do with signal. I personally don't think I could trust the signal on an iPhone anyway due to the Intel modems.

Edit: the reality is that everyone loves a phone when they first get it. After a few days things start to settle in and that is when you find out if you are going to be able to live with it.

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Edit: the reality is that everyone loves a phone when they first get it. After a few days things start to settle in and that is when you find out if you are going to be able to live with it.

It's a way to justify the purchase. Once the rose-colored glasses are off, that's when you finally know whether or not a device is good or not. That happened to me with the iPhone.

Jmacq1

Aug 24, 2018
Visit site
Probably going to order an XS tonight or this weekend since Samsung/Verizon/Best Buy have been unable to fulfill my Note 9 preorder (and Samsung/Best Buy just announced an exclusive color that they can apparently get in stock but still can't/haven't fulfilled their preorders for the earlier models).

I have no doubt the Note 9 is a great phone, but given my experience I can't justify giving Samsung or Best Buy my money for buying one now.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Probably going to order an XS tonight or this weekend since Samsung/Verizon/Best Buy have been unable to fulfill my Note 9 preorder (and Samsung/Best Buy just announced an exclusive color that they can apparently get in stock but still can't/haven't fulfilled their preorders for the earlier models).

I have no doubt the Note 9 is a great phone, but given my experience I can't justify giving Samsung or Best Buy my money for buying one now.

It's your personal opinion..but I would rather wait and buy a phone that suits me rather than buying on impulse...by the way which color did u book ?

Jmacq1

Aug 24, 2018
Visit site
It's your personal opinion..but I would rather wait and buy a phone that suits me rather than buying on impulse...by the way which color did u book ?

I ordered the blue, not that it's relevant, as Samsung/Verizon/Best Buy have failed to provide the product regardless of it's color. I don't care how you slice it, it's their fault.

And thanks for assuming what "suits me" and what doesn't. I'm quite confident just about any iPhone I get will sufficiently accomplish whatever tasks I need my cellular phone to accomplish. Just as I'm sure the Note 9 would have.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I ordered the blue, not that it's relevant, as Samsung/Verizon/Best Buy have failed to provide the product regardless of it's color. I don't care how you slice it, it's their fault.

And thanks for assuming what "suits me" and what doesn't. I'm quite confident just about any iPhone I get will sufficiently accomplish whatever tasks I need my cellular phone to accomplish. Just as I'm sure the Note 9 would have.

Oh man.. i can understand where you're coming from but either way i hope you enjoy your iphone!

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
So far after slightly over one month's usage of the note 9(got mine on the 22nd of august) i find that the only thing lacking which the iphone has it beat would be gaming performance.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Absolutely! A phone won't put a roof over your head! 🤣

And for sure - for the money, a phone with very little upgrades is certainly not worth it.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
As much as I wanna try and play with it, I can't even bother it's not like there's anything worth trying in the latest iOS.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely! A phone won't put a roof over your head! 🤣

And for sure - for the money, a phone with very little upgrades is certainly not worth it.
Amazing people are eating Apple's BS, tweaking the camera, adding gold and charging more. I didn't bother mentioning the speed bump as I said I highly doubt many can tell nor care about the difference.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

Pretty crazy when you really take a moment and think about it. I came to the same realization. I'm an avid Apple fan, dating back to the early 90's. Had the 1st iPhone and most every model since except for the 3G and 5S. But got tired and wanted something different so got an S9 this summer, but the battery life sucked. Got a Note 9 when it came out and was stoked on it. Loving the freshness of Android (for me) and ability to make some tweaks. Battery life on Note 9 is insanely good. Still really liking the Note 9... but I tend to have a short attention span these days... LOL

Then the itch came once the new iPhones came out. I'm wanting the new Series 4 watch, but can't use with Note 9, so figured, I'll get an XS Max. Picked one up Wednesday night... Lasted all but 24 hrs had to return it Thur evening. Just couldn't figure a way to justify the cost. And that was before buying a Series 4 (which I didn't since without an iPhone any Apple Watch is pretty worthless). I have the original apple watch which is slow now and can't use with Note 9, but haven't missed having a watch on my wrist as much as I thought. Might look into Galaxy Watch... Just not really attracted or impressed with Galaxy watches in general or Tizen for that matter...

The one thing that bothers me about any non-iPhone is that resale will be sh!t. So even selling the Note 9 now, only a month after release, it's barely worth 750 (looking at ebay). After 10 months I sold my iphone X and still got 800!

Maybe I'll check out the XR when they arrive at Apple Stores... ;)

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Pretty crazy when you really take a moment and think about it. I came to the same realization. I'm an avid Apple fan, dating back to the early 90's. Had the 1st iPhone and most every model since except for the 3G and 5S. But got tired and wanted something different so got an S9 this summer, but the battery life sucked. Got a Note 9 when it came out and was stoked on it. Loving the freshness of Android (for me) and ability to make some tweaks. Battery life on Note 9 is insanely good. Still really liking the Note 9... but I tend to have a short attention span these days... LOL

Then the itch came once the new iPhones came out. I'm wanting the new Series 4 watch, but can't use with Note 9, so figured, I'll get an XS Max. Picked one up Wednesday night... Lasted all but 24 hrs had to return it Thur evening. Just couldn't figure a way to justify the cost. And that was before buying a Series 4 (which I didn't since without an iPhone any Apple Watch is pretty worthless). I have the original apple watch which is slow now and can't use with Note 9, but haven't missed having a watch on my wrist as much as I thought. Might look into Galaxy Watch... Just not really attracted or impressed with Galaxy watches in general or Tizen for that matter...

The one thing that bothers me about any non-iPhone is that resale will be sh!t. So even selling the Note 9 now, only a month after release, it's barely worth 750 (looking at ebay). After 10 months I sold my iphone X and still got 800!

Maybe I'll check out the XR when they arrive at Apple Stores... ;)

You would be pleasantly surprised with the Galaxy Watch. I bought a brand new Gear S3 when I got my Note 9 because I wanted the MST but after a couple weeks with the Gear S3 I traded it in for the new Galaxy Watch last night and I love it. And the Samsung Pay may not work everywhere with just the NFC but it will work in most places. The look of the watch is a little different in a classier sort of way as well. Grab a couple watch bands off of Amazon and Boom you are ready to roll.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
That is where I will give Apple credit, resale value.

I only have my OnePlus 6 white for a few months and $500 was the most I got. Now my Samsung Galaxy S9+ I got lucky, after 8 weeks I sold it for $1,000.

In Canadian.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred