Anyone switched/switching from Nexus 5X to S7?

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I'll post this in both the Nexus and S7 forums to get a balanced opinion here.

I have a 5X and love it, and whilst it has a small screen it's obvious that it isn't very efficient with space, i.e. the S7 edge is almost identical in size, being just a hair taller. Amazing.

I don't tend to swap phones as regularly as I once did but I really fancy the idea of an S7 until the next Nexii come along. I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons. What do you all think?

Nexus 5X:

- Timely security updates
- Latest OS updates delivered quickly

Samsung S7

- Waterproofing
- Bigger battery/apparently better battery life
- Wireless charging
- Power saving features
- Better range of accessories
- Quality materials

Have I missed anything? Would you switch?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering going the other way, actually. My wife has a S7 and isn't exactly wowed... She thinks the button layout is stupid and the volume is on the wrong side, etc. I can save a good $400 by moving her to a Nexus 5X... A phone that will do everything she needs and has camera that is realistically only a tiny bit less capable.

I don't really blame her.. I've played with the S7 a bunch. It's a great phone, but my 6P is better. And it's priced at least $200 too high. If I didn't get two on the bogo deal T-Mobile had, I'd probably be returning it when the 5X comes in. But I'll give the two the once over to see if the S7 is worth the $400 premium.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a 5x that I am really disappointed in. Very laggy for me and terrible battery life and not great screen. Picked up a S7 edge and, wow!!! What a stellar phone...phenomenal battery life, best screen I've ever seen and ridiculously fast. Only problem with the S7, of course, is the price is way more than a 5x but if you make the jump, I doubt you'll regret it!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a 5x that I am really disappointed in. Very laggy for me and terrible battery life and not great screen. !

That's why I initially didn't consider the 5X. But I got curious with the MHC update. It'll be here tomorrow so I will be able to take a good look at it and decide there. When I heard of the perfomance complaints on the smaller Nexus, I knew that was a software issue to be honest, the 808 is not a slow chip, it's actually pretty snappy. I mean, when you are doing those mundane day to day tasks like moving around windows, transitions, etc, most of the time the kernel will have you on the LITTLE core, which is exactly the same as the little core on the 6P.... and the kernel I have on my 6P allows for an 'hexacore' mode, which disables two of the higher power cores, effectively turning the 810 into an 808, and for anything that doesn't require a lot of grunt (like gaming), it runs virtually identical to if all the cores were online.

Google now has a history if pushing out a late winter update that clears up a bunch of Nexus issues... so I figured the 5X would get one that cured a lot of its issues. I had ordered the S7 before the MHC update dropped... now I am curious.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
That's why I initially didn't consider the 5X. But I got curious with the MHC update. It'll be here tomorrow so I will be able to take a good look at it and decide there. When I heard of the perfomance complaints on the smaller Nexus, I knew that was a software issue to be honest, the 808 is not a slow chip, it's actually pretty snappy. I mean, when you are doing those mundane day to day tasks like moving around windows, transitions, etc, most of the time the kernel will have you on the LITTLE core, which is exactly the same as the little core on the 6P.... and the kernel I have on my 6P allows for an 'hexacore' mode, which disables two of the higher power cores, effectively turning the 810 into an 808, and for anything that doesn't require a lot of grunt (like gaming), it runs virtually identical to if all the cores were online.

Google now has a history if pushing out a late winter update that clears up a bunch of Nexus issues... so I figured the 5X would get one that cured a lot of its issues. I had ordered the S7 before the MHC update dropped... now I am curious.

Definitely let us know your thought on the 5x vs your 6p. I'm really curious. I agree that the 5x has a chip with plenty of horsepower and that it's got to be a software optimization issue causing some of that lag/slowness.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Here's what's missing from your list as far as I'm concerned:

LAG

I've had LG, Sammy, etc. They all lag when they have carrier bloatware on them. Last year I picked up a G4 that was an international version. It worked perfect. No lag, worked great, but my problem was it wouldn't run on Verizon's network. So I gave it to my brother-in-law who is still using it today and loves it, and I picked up a Verizon variant thinking, it was going to be great. It wasn't. It lagged worse than the G2 and G3 I had earlier. So, if you can get an international version that will work on your network, then I say go for it. If not, I wouldn't waste your money. Also, I think the Nexus update is later this year, right? So, if you like your Nexus 5X, I'd keep it until the next Nexus is released and then make your decision.

My 2 cents. Take 'em for what they're worth.

gooner8688

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I'll post this in both the Nexus and S7 forums to get a balanced opinion here.

I have a 5X and love it, and whilst it has a small screen it's obvious that it isn't very efficient with space, i.e. the S7 edge is almost identical in size, being just a hair taller. Amazing.

I don't tend to swap phones as regularly as I once did but I really fancy the idea of an S7 until the next Nexii come along. I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons. What do you all think?

Nexus 5X:

- Timely security updates
- Latest OS updates delivered quickly

Samsung S7

- Waterproofing
- Bigger battery/apparently better battery life
- Wireless charging
- Power saving features
- Better range of accessories
- Quality materials

Have I missed anything? Would you switch?

Samsung has fantastic hardware. The screens, specs brilliant it's a 10 outta 10 for me in most ways. Even the experience is largely speedy and smooth.

At the same time. I'm using a Nexus 5x now down from a note 5. The experience is so buttery smooth. Never once has the Nexus lagged at anything I've thrown at it. The note 5 did with its premium hardware and this I find a disappointment from them. That's like having a mountain of horse power under the hood but not getting transferred onto the road effectively.

The Nexus 5x even gives my iPhone 6s a run for its money. IOS 9 has been a disappointment to say the least.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Here's what's missing from your list as far as I'm concerned:

LAG

I've had LG, Sammy, etc. They all lag when they have carrier bloatware on them. Last year I picked up a G4 that was an international version. It worked perfect. No lag, worked great, but my problem was it wouldn't run on Verizon's network. So I gave it to my brother-in-law who is still using it today and loves it, and I picked up a Verizon variant thinking, it was going to be great. It wasn't. It lagged worse than the G2 and G3 I had earlier. So, if you can get an international version that will work on your network, then I say go for it. If not, I wouldn't waste your money. Also, I think the Nexus update is later this year, right? So, if you like your Nexus 5X, I'd keep it until the next Nexus is released and then make your decision.

My 2 cents. Take 'em for what they're worth.

Sound idea. It's too easy to get drawn into wanting the newest, and not always the best. I'm in the UK and we don't seem to have the same problems with carrier bloat that you guys do. I always buy SIM free.

Are you still running your G4?

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Samsung has fantastic hardware. The screens, specs brilliant it's a 10 outta 10 for me in most ways. Even the experience is largely speedy and smooth.

At the same time. I'm using a Nexus 5x now down from a note 5. The experience is so buttery smooth. Never once has the Nexus lagged at anything I've thrown at it. The note 5 did with its premium hardware and this I find a disappointment from them. That's like having a mountain of horse power under the hood but not getting transferred onto the road effectively.

The Nexus 5x even gives my iPhone 6s a run for its money. IOS 9 has been a disappointment to say the least.

We seem to be two of the very few that don't have these mysterious lag problems. I often wonder if it has anything to do with the amount of apps people install. I've not goy any reason to think this could be a factor, other than I personally install very few apps, and rarely have any problems with my phones.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Food for thought: is lag connected to specific apps? Let's say, Facebook? I went to Pure Nexus ROM with Franco kernel about a month ago, so currently, I won't let my feedback count. But, when I was stock I had no lag, and no social media apps.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Food for thought: is lag connected to specific apps? Let's say, Facebook? I went to Pure Nexus ROM with Franco kernel about a month ago, so currently, I won't let my feedback count. But, when I was stock I had no lag, and no social media apps.

Facebook definitely seems to be the trigger for my 5X. I'm going to delete it again and just use the browser for the rare occasion I look at it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm back.... I got the N5X in the mail yesterday and gave it a good once over. But I think I'm going to be sending it back. I immediately loaded the MHC update on it (sideload) and started playing around with it. Overall, I was pretty impressed. It felt zippy enough, size was good in the hand, everything was good.... except...

The camera's shutter latency. Not the HDR+ processing time... just the straight up time between hitting the shutter button and when it actually took the shot. I did a little ad hoc testing and near as I can tell, even if the phone is focused and ready to rock, there's a ~300ms shutter lag. The lag isn't the encryption, or the OS (it was there on stock and AOSP), it's JUST the Google Camera... the AOSP Camera is near instant, like my 6P. And things would get worse if you tried to rattle off a couple of shots in succession... things would bog down quickly.

So that's a bit of a mystery to be honest.. but kind of a bad one since I am sure that would drive my wife insane. One of the reasons I got her out of the G4 was that it would sometimes go out to lunch and not take a picture for a few seconds. This isn't as long a delay, but it's also a constant delay...

Shame.. got a really good deal on the 5X with the Fi discount.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Facebook definitely seems to be the trigger for my 5X. I'm going to delete it again and just use the browser for the rare occasion I look at it.

I've done the same and between Chrome notifications and Facebook Messenger (which I've kept) I don't miss the main FB app at all.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Sound idea. It's too easy to get drawn into wanting the newest, and not always the best. I'm in the UK and we don't seem to have the same problems with carrier bloat that you guys do. I always buy SIM free.

Are you still running your G4?

Brother-in-law is. He loves it. Super Smooth. Super Quick. I have Verizon and the International G4 wouldn't run on their network, so I had to look for another phone. I've gone back and forth between the Nexus 6P and the 5X. So far they both run smooth, but I'm sticking with the 5X because of the smaller size. My work cell is an iPhone 6S Plus that I wouldn't trade for anything.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I still keep thinking about ditching my 5X for an S7 but I think what has just sealed it for me is the fact that, on today's UK prices, you can almost but a 5X and a PlayStation VR for the cost of the smaller S7. Given I want one of those that makes it an easy decision. Another vote in favour of the 5X.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ya, price is incredible. I'm shocked that the newer phones costs so much more. The S7 does do a lot more, but 3 times as much?

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Since deleting Facebook a few days ago and using the mobile site in chrome, I haven't run into the bad lag I was getting after a few days of uptime even after the March update. That app is terrible. I still have Messenger installed and it seems to be okay.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
The s7 is a bit overpriced no doubt specially in Canada. The nexus 5x is a good phone but in no way can be compared to the s7 in terms of build quality and hardware. It just isn't fair. I would say the moto x or the lg g4 is in the same category and price point.

Posted via the Android Central App

faith3935

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Brother-in-law is. He loves it. Super Smooth. Super Quick. I have Verizon and the International G4 wouldn't run on their network, so I had to look for another phone. I've gone back and forth between the Nexus 6P and the 5X. So far they both run smooth, but I'm sticking with the 5X because of the smaller size. My work cell is an iPhone 6S Plus that I wouldn't trade for anything.

The Nexus 5X is a beast of a budget smart phone. It runs smoother than my Note5 and the fingerprint scanner along with the timely updates keeps me glued to my Nexus 5X

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteConnor