app installed without permission

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm a runner and I was browsing race calculators. I ended up on omnicalculator.com, used a calculator and moved on. Now I have an Omni calculator installed among my apps. I'm 99% sure I did not give permission for it to install. What settings do I check to ensure this doesn't happen?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm a runner and I was browsing race calculators. I ended up on omnicalculator.com, used a calculator and moved on. Now I have an Omni calculator installed among my apps. I'm 99% sure I did not give permission for it to install. What settings do I check to ensure this doesn't happen?

You may want to check your settings for instant apps. If it's on, then a lighter version of some apps will load from any URL if it's set up to do that.

https://www.androidcentral.com/instant-apps

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Or you might have "installed" it as a progressive web app. If you were on that website, and if it asked you if you wanted to add it to your homescreen, you might have unwittingly tapped Yes. You should be able to uninstall it easily.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it's an instant app. On my screenshot you can see the CBC app that is an instant app. The one in question is on the far left. No lightning bolt.

You may want to check your settings for instant apps. If it's on, then a lighter version of some apps will load from any URL if it's set up to do that. And the Omni app is actually installed. The CBC one is not.

https://www.androidcentral.com/instant-apps

Attachments

• 60591.jpg
    60591.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 16

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
This is exactly my concern. I don't want to unwittingly install an app. I'm pretty sure I toggled off the ability to install from unknown sources, but I can't find that setting.

Or you might have "installed" it as a progressive web app. If you were on that website, and if it asked you if you wanted to add it to your homescreen, you might have unwittingly tapped Yes. You should be able to uninstall it easily.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
This is exactly my concern. I don't want to unwittingly install an app. I'm pretty sure I toggled off the ability to install from unknown sources, but I can't find that setting.

I think B. Diddy is right on this one. It does show up under different PWA catalogs. It's not considered an "install" the way you're considering, i.e. from unknown sources. It's not Native. Really just a Mobile Web App that's been added to your homescreen. Very easy to remove.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
See screenshots below. The CBC app shows up as an instant app in the settings, but the other shows as actually installed.

I think B. Diddy is right on this one. It does show up under different PWA catalogs. It's not considered an "install" the way you're considering, i.e. from unknown sources. It's not Native. Really just a Mobile Web App that's been added to your homescreen. Very easy to remove.

Attachments

• 60594.jpg
    60594.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 13

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Screenshot order is messed up, but you can see the difference between the CBC app and the other.

Attachments

• 60592.jpg
    60592.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 9

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
make sure in settings>special app access click>install unknown apps click and make sure those apps show not allowed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick