Apple's injunction on the Nexus; UN hosting mobile patent talks.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
So is this real? Nobody can buy a Galaxy Nexus now, and for how long? Were they pulled off the shelves? Crazy.

Tapatalk Sent from the Future

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
So is this real? Nobody can buy a Galaxy Nexus now, and for how long? Were they pulled off the shelves? Crazy.

Tapatalk Sent from the Future

I take it so. At this point I guess our nexii devices would be worth a good penny to someone wanting one RIGHT NOW.

BinaryCode transmission from ParanoidNexus via XpTapaTalk2

Shadow Death

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Apple lands preliminary ban against Samsung Galaxy Nexus."

You don't win any awards for getting your competition banned, you lose customers. You win customers over by proving that your product is better or by making it better, not by eliminating competition.

Blujay93

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't let this ban really trouble anyone too much for a few key reasons:

1. To most consumers, the Nexus is just another Android phone. They don't get the difference between vanilla Android and the skins that OEMs put on top. If they were planning on buying this, they are just going to purchase their second option. Also, idk how well this phone sold, but judging by the numbers on the SGS3, the Nexus is the wrong target.

2. By definition, Samsung did infringe on Apple's patents. However, in the months to come, judges are going to begin ignoring these cases, and begin looking to the USPTO to stop granting these vague patents. Also, this is a boon for OEMs, MS, and Google. If such vague stuff can get a ban, then these companies will see that they can do the same silly tactics to get each other banned. Eventually, a (reluctant) agreement may be reached.

3. The GS3 will probably be avoided by Apple. The bond that will have to be posted due to all the pre-sales will be several billion dollars. If your plan was to get the new Galaxy, no worries.

4. Expect a backlash from Google and OEMs. Maybe not for the release of this iPhone but if the litigation doesn't stop, Google will become fed up. Apple does not need one of its profitable products banned, since only two of its products sell like hotcakes (iPad and iPhone).

5. EU and Aus/NZ judges are starting to ignore litigation on software patents. On other forums, I have read that most cases involving software patents in Aus/NZ are not even heard anymore.

Unfortunately, the average consumer knows absolutely nothing about all of these patent wars. Reason is, most of the phones that are being restricted are "just another Android phone." Expect that if the same ban is brought down on the SGS3, there will be a much larger public outcry.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

No, they have not been pulled. Not as of now, anyway. You can still buy them from Verizon and Best Buy and Amazon and I'm sure many other places.

Reactions: JkdJedi

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

As far as I have heard the temp ban does not effect current stock held by retailers. Only that no new contracts to make more can be made till this is resolved.

Last edited:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
They are still for sale at VZW and Amazon and BB. And the eBay/cl market for these babies is gonna be on fire!

sent from my contraband gnex

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

They are not banned. Samsung appealed.

Yeah, Samsung appealed, but they LOST the appeal.

US judge denies Samsung's request to stay US ban on Galaxy Nexus | The Verge

Almost immediately after learning of Federal Judge Lucy Koh's order granting Apple's request for a preliminary injunction on Galaxy Nexus devices, Samsung filed a motion to stay the ban ? primarily until the appellate court could consider the merits of its appeal. Judge Koh has now issued an order denying Samsung's request, thus ensuring the injunction will remain in place for the time being. It looks like all Apple needs to do is post the $96 million bond for the injunction to come to life ? a small monetary hurdle for the Cupertino company.

Samsung's request for a stay was a bit of a longshot, especially given Judge Koh's unwillingness to grant a similar request by Samsung last week relating to the injunction on the Galaxy Tab 10.1. After all, such a stay would require the judge to disagree with the reasoning she provided to justify the injunction in the first place ? from just a few days ago. That's just not going to happen very often.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, Samsung appealed, but they LOST the appeal.

Not quite. They were denied a motion to stay the injunction until an appeal is heard by the federal circuit court. An appeal is still on going.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Well, the GSM Galaxy Nexus is no longer available for purchase through the Google Play store.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Curious about the same. Is the CDMA version also banned?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
I just went to Amazon for sh#ts and put an Unlocked Galaxy Nexus in my basket and all went smoothly, nothing, or no warnings of it being UNAVAILABLE, but then again I didn't buy the phone so who knows, It might just be a Google Play MArket ban.

I could'nt wait so I "GOOGLED" it....

Apple sued for patent protection on the following software features:

1. A means of detecting and marking up data like a phone number or an e-mail address, and then initiating a phone call or an e-mail when the linked data is clicked
2. A means of searching multiple databases and sources for data
3. A slide to unlock feature
4. An autocorrect-type function that completes the word as a user types and allows the user to accept or reject the word

If this is true, they could've sued years ago, not looking good.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

It was the search function that ultimately caused the ban.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I just went to Amazon for sh#ts and put an Unlocked Galaxy Nexus in my basket and all went smoothly, nothing, or no warnings of it being UNAVAILABLE, but then again I didn't buy the phone so who knows, It might just be a Google Play MArket ban.

I could'nt wait so I "GOOGLED" it....

Apple sued for patent protection on the following software features:

1. A means of detecting and marking up data like a phone number or an e-mail address, and then initiating a phone call or an e-mail when the linked data is clicked
2. A means of searching multiple databases and sources for data
3. A slide to unlock feature
4. An autocorrect-type function that completes the word as a user types and allows the user to accept or reject the word

If this is true, they could've sued years ago, not looking good.

Let's not mention the absolute insanity of how broken our patent system is that Apple can be awarded patents for such vague and all-encompassing features as you see above..

Reactions: JkdJedi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymous Jones