Apps Running in background?

cgravsha

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,
I was wondering! How do I close the apps running in the background until I need them? I am using the "Advanced App Killer", but after I kill ALL APPS, about an hour or two later I run the program again and there are all these apps up-running again that I never opened.
Can someone help?

dan.wright

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I use automatic task killer in conjunction with Advanced App Killer. You can set it so when the phone 'sleeps' it will kill everything that is starred. And just exclude the apps you want to keep running.

Dan

infg3570

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I stopped using my task killer app and just either back out by hitting the back key or hit exit on the menu if the app comes so equipped. After reading the link Ryobi posted, I realized why my daily alarm may have stopped working.

land of the trill

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
What the OP doesn't realize is while he may not have directly opened the app other apps and background services use them and some processes will auto start when android requires them like calendar and alarm clock but I won't go into detail. The best task killer is Advanced Task Manager and the other killers aren't that great.

fiveonethird

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I was using advanced task killer and noticed that my battery life was horrible, I uninstalled it and since then I am getting close to a day and a half before it needs charged. Honestly since then my phone has not slowed down any and the battery life has been great. I just power the phone down and reboot and that kills all background running apps.

To each their own though.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Advanced task killer is making my girls alarm not work. I tried task killer also and it stopped the alarm also. There any app killers for the eris that doesn't turn off the alarms???

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I used to use a task killer but about a week ago I took it off because I was tired of it, and really it has been running faster without it, and my battery life has improved. Honestly, I would get rid of a task killer if you have one installed. You don't need them. I know it seems like it makes sense to have one but from my own personal experience, your better off without it.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
You might want to read this, Task Killers aren't needed for Android the OS manages resources on its own. Scroll down to Activity Lifecycle

Activity | Android Developers

Here's the short simple English version:

4 stages of Application life

1. Active - the application currently in use, last to be killed, rarely if ever killed, only killed when the phones needs the resources to remain operating.
2. Paused - application is still active or visible, it maintains all recent application interactions, i.e paused to answer a phone call, text, etc, 2nd to be killed when a device needs additional resources
3. Stopped - application is no longer active or visible, 1st to be killed when the device needs additional resources
4. Killed - a paused or stopped application that has been killed by android because memory and resources were needed elsewhere

DjCalvin

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to be able to force close apps that I want..

Ie: I just opened up facebook.. posted something and backed out of it.. Its still running...
30 min later.. still running...
I'd like to be able to hold the back button until the process ends..

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Honestly, one of the things I hated about Windows Mobile was that the standard for apps was not to have an exit command, and I wish more Android apps supported a specific exit command. I like how Dolphin browser, when you hold the back button, gives you an opportunity to exit the app. I'd love to see that be standard behavior.

cmack

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I tried a lot of the task killers/managers and thought they were great until I started reading about how the linux operating system works. The first time I tried going without one, I went back (only tried for a day). Now I've been without it for a week and what a dramatic improvement; not just on battery life but on speed. If if your apps are running in the background, as long as it doesn't use the cpu (which it won't) then your phone will not lag or drain battery. If you keep killing off these programs, they are going to start up again at some point. And if they start up as you're doing something else, it's going to slow your phone down; not to mention that everytime these programs start up, they are using battery power (sorry for the run-on sentence). Your phone knows when to kill tasks. Give it more than a day and you'll see how much better it is wothout.

Also, don't use a task manager just to check up on what's running. It will drive you crazy.

As an example, when I was using a task killer/manager, after 15 hours of pretty moderate use, my battery was at 40 - 50%. Without using it, I'm at 15 hours now and my battery is 70%.

Mary Cameron

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the share everything plan of a relative. I am more worried about data being used in the background than I am battery, although my Razr M, which is supposed to have great battery life, goes completely dead, even when "sleeping" for 12-14 hours. Before I put it to sleep, I use Advanced Task Killer to close all running apps, but they usually start up again in a few minutes any way. Not sure what to do. Don't want to use data when I'm not actually using the app. Some of those that keep showing up are Facebook, Weatherbug, Google, Play Store and lots more. Suggestions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reroseroy