archos 101 or wifi xoom?

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I just took a new job with my company that will have me traveling. I'm getting a company issued laptop, but they're kind of strict on "personal use". With that being said I am looking at getting a tablet. My main use will be some web surfing and some video chatting with my wife and son.

With Motorola releasing the price on the wifi only xoom the 101 is looking pretty tempting, but I wish I could get a hands on with one before I dropped the dough on it. I can't find a local store that carries them, but have found one that has the 7 home tablet. My questions are; How similar are the 101 and 7 so I could possibly try out the 7 and get a good idea and is it worth the cheaper price? Also other than having to sideload the app store do you have to do very much rooting to get the 101 where its worthy of using?

Thanks!

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Whatever you choose, make sure your work's WiFi can function with your tablet. I get the impression you want this for work time use so do a little homework on your work wireless infrastructure.

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I'll actually be using my work laptop during business hours. The tablet would mainly be used for personal stuff while I'm out of town and staying in a hotel. I'd be doing things like surfing the web, video chatting with my wife and son and maybe some gaming. I just don't wanna have to do a lot of rooting and modification out of the box to have a "usable" tablet.......

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I decided to make the jump and give it a try. I ordered the 8gb model through amazon along with a 16gb memory card and sleeve for right around $350 which should be a really good deal as long as I like it!

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

For me I would rather pay $600 for a device that meets my needs as opposed ro $300 for a device that does not. It all comes down to what you want on your device. If you want a barebones tablet then the Archos MIGHT be a good buy. If you want all the bells and whistles pay the extra $300.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I decided to make the jump and give it a try. I ordered the 8gb model through amazon along with a 16gb memory card and sleeve for right around $350 which should be a really good deal as long as I like it!

Report back, tells us what you like and what you don't like.

R8trfan#IM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My wife has the archos and it works fine. There is a firmware update that was released on feb. 16 that I recommend installing, it took care of a few glitches, i also suggest installing the Android market on it as well. I will be buying the Xoom this thursday and I will be using the data plan so it's not an issue for me.

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
While the Xoom looks to be a nice tablet I feel it'd be like buying a $1,500 laptop when you could buy a $500-600 laptop and get by just fine. Just as long as I can surf the web, video chat, and play games like angry birds I'll be content.

Corrosive

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
While the Xoom looks to be a nice tablet I feel it'd be like buying a $1,500 laptop when you could buy a $500-600 laptop and get by just fine. Just as long as I can surf the web, video chat, and play games like angry birds I'll be content.

My thoughts exactly. The Xoom is pretty awesome, hands down... but for 2x the price, its just really hard for me to justify.

Now if I were to say ok, I want 1 device that can do everything, then maybe. Right now though, Tablets are like the netbooks of their day. No one really knows if they are going to be here in the next few years of if something else will take their place. I feel much more comfortable spending 300 than 600 on what essentially be a fad buy. Say 6 months pass and I am completely happy with my archos, at that point, I would most likely spend the extra cash to have the best thats available. Who knows... 3D tablets could be right around the corner. (We all know 3d phones are about to be brought to market)

crashmw

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with the video chat. Just got it working this week for the first time without locking up...Curious if others have had good luck with chat? I even tried an online application called reelportal, that worked, but was not what I would call a pleasant experience -mostly due to the A70 i believe.

This week I was able to chat in the same room (a test) with my wife on her new Droid Bionic and the A70. Only ran it for maybe 30 seconds to a minute, so no telling if it would have locked up on me, and that was using Fring and it was the FIRST time that Fring fed any video at all...

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I just took a new job with my company that will have me traveling. I'm getting a company issued laptop, but they're kind of strict on "personal use". With that being said I am looking at getting a tablet. My main use will be some web surfing and some video chatting with my wife and son.

With Motorola releasing the price on the wifi only xoom the 101 is looking pretty tempting, but I wish I could get a hands on with one before I dropped the dough on it. I can't find a local store that carries them, but have found one that has the 7 home tablet. My questions are; How similar are the 101 and 7 so I could possibly try out the 7 and get a good idea and is it worth the cheaper price? Also other than having to sideload the app store do you have to do very much rooting to get the 101 where its worthy of using?

Thanks!

XOOM !!

I have a Archos 101.

Sent from my Droid Charge with tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reroseroy