Are you OK with the knowledge that your N6 has its performance crippled by up to 80%?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Headline from PC World: Mandatory Nexus 6 Encryption Kills Smartphone's Performance (By up to 80%)
Headline from Droid-Life.com: If Your Nexus 6 has Performance Issues, Blame the Encryption That You Can’t Turn Off
From Anandtech: Encryption and Storage Performance in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Any shortcoming your Nexus 6 has, may be completely overshadowed by this revelation. I don't mind a software glitch or two lurking about my phone because I know most of them
will get fixed by the developer community. But this one is a biggie. I mean these guys aren't tossing around speculation and innuendo, it's a known fact that google enables
encryption by default, and there is no way to turn it off.

According to Anandtech's article > "the performance of a Nexus 6 running with encryption enabled is half that—sometimes more—versus the exact same phone with encryption disabled."
They asked Motorola to obtain an unencrypted device (which is the only way to get one) and the test results are shocking.

Most if not all of you guys don't notice anything wrong, but what if what you have now could be improved by 50% or more?

Now this could be a deal breaker for me. How about you?

Edit: Now some sort of workaround is available at xda, but does involve rooting. *sigh* More hacking to be done eh?

Antony Cha

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
No & yes...encryption on lollipop will only happen if you turn it on for phones when/if they get upgraded. However any phone coming from a vendor with lollipop on it already will be encrypted.

This is part of android trying to get into the enterprise market. My Nexus 6 might be "crippled" but its still just as fast if not faster and less bug than my Nexus 5 with lollipop on it... Well it seems that way. LOL

Posted via the Android Central App

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 6 might be "crippled" but its still just as fast if not faster and less bug than my Nexus 5 with lollipop on it... Well it seems that way. LOL

Fair enough, and I bet the thing is plenty fast, but the question still remains....what if your performance could be improved by 50%?

BobDaNob

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
The question has now become:

What if I told you that rooting your phone could increase your performance by 50%?

Spoken by Morpheus, naturally.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed dropped frame rates a handful of times. Other than that, this phone is lightning fast. This whole thing is tremendously overblown. The only thing that irritates me about the Nexus 6 is they could've chosen a newer-gen, more efficient IPS panel when Sammy shut the door on them getting new AMOLED panels. You lose ambient display, but the gains in battery and screen quality, for me at least, would've been worth it.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed dropped frame rates a handful of times. Other than that, this phone is lightning fast. This whole thing is tremendously overblown. The only thing that irritates me about the Nexus 6 is they could've chosen a newer-gen, more efficient IPS panel when Sammy shut the door on them getting new AMOLED panels. You lose ambient display, but the gains in battery and screen quality, for me at least, would've been worth it.

What gains in screen quality and battery? The note 4 is absolutely stunning and has the best screen out there and is amoled. And as far as battery goes I find amoled to be more battery efficient. My experiences with the note 10.1 2014 edition and tab S 10.5 which the only difference is amoled vs lcd as far as screen goes I found the tab s last about 2 hours longer

The nexus 6 display is a tad worse the the note 4 and better then the turbo imo

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
What gains in screen quality and battery? The note 4 is absolutely stunning and has the best screen out there and is amoled. And as far as battery goes I find amoled to be more battery efficient. My experiences with the note 10.1 2014 edition and tab S 10.5 which the only difference is amoled vs lcd as far as screen goes I found the tab s last about 2 hours longer

The nexus 6 display is a tad worse the the note 4 and better then the turbo imo

Samsung wouldn't make their latest gen panel for Moto to put on the Nexus 6, so they settled for an older panel. Would've been more efficient/better quality if they could have had their latest. Since that wasn't going to happen, I would've preferred an IPS panel.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Samsung wouldn't make their latest gen panel for Moto to put on the Nexus 6, so they settled for an older panel. Would've been more efficient/better quality if they could have had their latest. Since that wasn't going to happen, I would've preferred an IPS panel.

The one in the nexus 6 isn't terrible and if they fixed brightness it would be fine

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
And as far as battery goes I find amoled to be more battery efficient.

If I compare an '08 to a '14 Accord, I'd find they both have combustion engines, but the new one is more efficient. I use less gas, and I go further on a tank.

Amoled may be "more efficient" than LCD in general, but the Note's screen is a more efficient amoled than the one on the N6. Given the batteries are the same size, you'll get more use out of a Note's charge.

That seems to be borne out by the folks posting, and in the reviews. While no single opinion or experience will predict individual performance, when 12 reports show the Note lasts longer, 3 say they are the same, and 2 think the 6 is better, you can pretty much accept that the Note does better.

I want pure Android, and won't deal with Touchwiz. But, push comes to shove, the Note is the better phone at 6PM if the N6 is out of juice. And, screen quality be damned, I expect I'll be getting the Turbo after giving the N6 a trial when mine comes. I won't carry batteries and chargers through airports, and I refuse to use a pay phone if I have to get a cab when I get where I'm going.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If I compare an '08 to a '14 Accord, I'd find they both have combustion engines, but the new one is more efficient. I use less gas, and I go further on a tank.

Amoled may be "more efficient" than LCD in general, but the Note's screen is a more efficient amoled than the one on the N6. Given the batteries are the same size, you'll get more use out of a Note's charge.

That seems to be borne out by the folks posting, and in the reviews. While no single opinion or experience will predict individual performance, when 12 reports show the Note lasts longer, 3 say they are the same, and 2 think the 6 is better, you can pretty much accept that the Note does better.

I want pure Android, and won't deal with Touchwiz. But, push comes to shove, the Note is the better phone at 6PM if the N6 is out of juice. And, screen quality be damned, I expect I'll be getting the Turbo after giving the N6 a trial when mine comes. I won't carry batteries and chargers through airports, and I refuse to use a pay phone if I have to get a cab when I get where I'm going.
The amoled screen isn't 6 years old In the Nexus 6. I would put it at the same as the note 3.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The one in the nexus 6 isn't terrible and if they fixed brightness it would be fine

You're right. It's not terrible at all, but considering the price, it could have been better. Imagine the battery gains and screen quality if Sammy sold the same panel that's on the Note 4.

Antony Cha

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough, and I bet the thing is plenty fast, but the question still remains....what if your performance could be improved by 50%?

That would be really nice and I don't disagree the point. I'm not going to tinker with the N6 for a while though so for now I'm just happier with better battery life and a monster screen... 😸 I don't think I can go back to N5 either... As a development phone it'll be fine but for my daily driver I'll take the N6! 😜

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Isn't this encryption performance hit only happening when reading or writing to storage? That would certainly explain why my N6 feels faster than anything I've ever used.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira