(AT&T) Carrier IQ active

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
It's funny for someone who buys an android phone to get mad at carrier for tracking them.. I don't see anyone getting mad at Google for tracking them, is it because they provide services for free so it is OK to track and gather all that data about you? I am not being sarcastic, I am serious, what is it that's pissing everyone off so much about Carrier IQ?

Carrier IQ comes back after a reboot or anything similar to reboot, I did not see it come back after I ended the task on my G2. Although I may have to try a different detector.

Personally, the thing I don't like is that it's clearly buggy (otherwise there wouldn't be such an impact on the battery). I don't care what information they may be gathering. It's not like there's a person somewhere reading it all.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Personally, the thing I don't like is that it's clearly buggy (otherwise there wouldn't be such an impact on the battery). I don't care what information they may be gathering. It's not like there's a person somewhere reading it all.

Right, but that's what I am trying to figure out, what kind of bugs.. Honestly, personally I did not see any impact on performance or battery life when I used it (I didn't know it was running) for a week, and then I disabled it (until next reboot) I did not see a huge improvement on battery life or drastic changes to performance.

Also, NevetsDrassel's post above (chat with AT&T) focuses on "reading my information, tracking me" not "this is buggy".. And original poster jumped on it from day one, so it was just jumping the gun "It comes with carrier IQ~!!!" not about details on bugs, maybe I should read other forums or posts and find out what it is that's causing bugs/problems..

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Right, but that's what I am trying to figure out, what kind of bugs.. Honestly, personally I did not see any impact on performance or battery life when I used it (I didn't know it was running) for a week, and then I disabled it (until next reboot) I did not see a huge improvement on battery life or drastic changes to performance.

Also, NevetsDrassel's post above (chat with AT&T) focuses on "reading my information, tracking me" not "this is buggy".. And original poster jumped on it from day one, so it was just jumping the gun "It comes with carrier IQ~!!!" not about details on bugs, maybe I should read other forums or posts and find out what it is that's causing bugs/problems..

My experience is much different. With it off, I can idle at 0.1 or 0.2 % per hour. This is with Exchange, gmail, k9 email and Google Now all syncing. I leave it on, I jump to 4.0-4.5% per hour at idle. This is consistent. And I'm consistent with my setup; I don't change anythning else except IQ on/off for the tests (otherwise, it's not a test).

So, something is bad with that SW. It would have to be collecting a whole lot of nothing to make idle usage jump that much.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It's funny for someone who buys an android phone to get mad at carrier for tracking them.. I don't see anyone getting mad at Google for tracking them, is it because they provide services for free so it is OK to track and gather all that data about you? I am not being sarcastic, I am serious, what is it that's pissing everyone off so much about Carrier IQ?

Carrier IQ comes back after a reboot or anything similar to reboot, I did not see it come back after I ended the task on my G2. Although I may have to try a different detector.

When Google does it it's more perceived as marketing. But Carrier IQ does it probably equally for market data as well as monitoring data.

When I go outside surveillance cameras can see everywhere I go and everything I do. That's not for market data. I can see the ways it helps but still, it's not without discomfort.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
My experience is much different. With it off, I can idle at 0.1 or 0.2 % per hour. This is with Exchange, gmail, k9 email and Google Now all syncing. I leave it on, I jump to 4.0-4.5% per hour at idle. This is consistent. And I'm consistent with my setup; I don't change anythning else except IQ on/off for the tests (otherwise, it's not a test).

So, something is bad with that SW. It would have to be collecting a whole lot of nothing to make idle usage jump that much.

What about data transfer? If it is collecting whole lot it should be transferring whole lot, too right?
Also, did you check battery monitor, is there anyway to see if it is Carrier IQ or something else triggered by it? I don't like the battery monitor not showing packages battery usage, just apps, I got Gsam and I don't think that shows packages breakdown either.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
What about data transfer? If it is collecting whole lot it should be transferring whole lot, too right?
Also, did you check battery monitor, is there anyway to see if it is Carrier IQ or something else triggered by it? I don't like the battery monitor not showing packages battery usage, just apps, I got Gsam and I don't think that shows packages breakdown either.

I don't see anything in Data Manager to lead me to believe it's transferring anything. That's why I said it's collecting a whole lot of nothing (which leads back to me thinking it's buggy as ****).
It certainly could be that it is triggering another app to stay awake. Like you, I wish we had better tools to narrow down the exact process.

Edit: haha! the forums starred out the word p-o-o-p.

TiMMaY_77

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Had a discussion with both AT&T and LG about this Carrier IQ issue.

Response from AT&T. You need to speak with LG because they are the ones that put the Android system into the phone.

Response from LG:

11:41 AM Victor: Hello **************. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
11:42 AM **************: How do I get rid of Carrier IQ on my phone?
11:43 AM Victor: To verify, are you inquiring about an application that came with the phone?
11:44 AM **************: Yes. The application that is hard coded into the Android software that can not be disabled or opted out of unless the phone is rooted.
11:45 AM Victor: Sorry about that, unfortunately pre-installed applications cannot be removed by default.
11:46 AM **************: So when is LG going to update the option to opt out of participing in the carrier IQ system? It is not my intention to allow you or at&t to monitor all of my activities simply because I chose the LG G2 as the phone that I wanted....
11:47 AM Victor: As of this concern, the applications and features that the phone comes with are installed and determined by the carrier of the phone. You can try contacting them to see if they are able to remove it from the phone.
11:49 AM **************: They told me to contact you for resolution to this problem after I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with them.
11:49 AM **************: This is not an application or feature. This is tracking software.
11:49 AM Victor: Sorry about that, unfortunately pre-installed applications cannot be removed from the phone by default.
11:49 AM Victor: I really apologize that you are having this problem.
11:50 AM **************: It is no problem. I will just return the phone and LG has lost me as a customer for life.
11:50 AM Victor: I understand.
11:50 AM Victor: I am sorry to hear about this.
11:53 AM **************: This is unbelieveable that LG in cahoots with AT&T installed this tracking software that tracks every location that I go, every key stroke that I make, and every contact that I have, including my text messaging with no way to opt of this. Have you guys ever heard of the Constitution????
11:54 AM Victor: I really apologize for the inconvenience. I can transfer you to a supervisor for further information.
11:55 AM Notice: Victor transferred ************** to John.
11:55 AM Notice: John has joined the chat session.
11:55 AM Notice: Victor has exited the chat session.
11:55 AM **************: The information that I need is "how to disable Carrier IQ" on my phone.....
11:56 AM John: Sorry but unfortunately that application cannot be removed
11:57 AM **************: Too bad. Nice phone but now it is a POS and I will be returning it to AT&T for a different phone. I wonder how come Motorola Moto X that my wife just got with the same carrier does not have Carrier IQ but my phone does...

So there you have it, AT&T denies that it is their issue and LG says "too bad sooo sad". It appears to be an LG issue. If it was an AT&T issue, I am guessing that they would have it installed on all of their new phones. So unless you want to root your phone, you are going to be stuck with Carrier IQ either until AT&T or LG are sued for invasion of privacy under the "wire tap" laws.

So now I have to decide whether to root my phone or return it under the 14 days. I have until Thursday. It is too bad, this is a new phone for me and I was really excited about having a smart phone but I did not realize that "smart phone" meant "no privacy phone", "spyware phone", or "trap every key stroke phone". I really really liked the LG G2.....

Just reading their responses really makes me feel like you were having a conversation with two *bots* Victor and John. No way were these responses by a human.

mount.zed

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a international version of the phone and it has no CIQ. It is the carrier that installs it. Not sure why you are ragging on LG. BTW it certainly looks like all phones are compromised and have the ability to track and spy on you. I would be surprised if the Moto X doesn't have software on it the does the same thing maybe just not CIQ

Had a discussion with both AT&T and LG about this Carrier IQ issue.

Response from AT&T. You need to speak with LG because they are the ones that put the Android system into the phone.

Response from LG:

11:41 AM Victor: Hello **************. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
11:42 AM **************: How do I get rid of Carrier IQ on my phone?
11:43 AM Victor: To verify, are you inquiring about an application that came with the phone?
11:44 AM **************: Yes. The application that is hard coded into the Android software that can not be disabled or opted out of unless the phone is rooted.
11:45 AM Victor: Sorry about that, unfortunately pre-installed applications cannot be removed by default.
11:46 AM **************: So when is LG going to update the option to opt out of participing in the carrier IQ system? It is not my intention to allow you or at&t to monitor all of my activities simply because I chose the LG G2 as the phone that I wanted....
11:47 AM Victor: As of this concern, the applications and features that the phone comes with are installed and determined by the carrier of the phone. You can try contacting them to see if they are able to remove it from the phone.
11:49 AM **************: They told me to contact you for resolution to this problem after I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with them.
11:49 AM **************: This is not an application or feature. This is tracking software.
11:49 AM Victor: Sorry about that, unfortunately pre-installed applications cannot be removed from the phone by default.
11:49 AM Victor: I really apologize that you are having this problem.
11:50 AM **************: It is no problem. I will just return the phone and LG has lost me as a customer for life.
11:50 AM Victor: I understand.
11:50 AM Victor: I am sorry to hear about this.
11:53 AM **************: This is unbelieveable that LG in cahoots with AT&T installed this tracking software that tracks every location that I go, every key stroke that I make, and every contact that I have, including my text messaging with no way to opt of this. Have you guys ever heard of the Constitution????
11:54 AM Victor: I really apologize for the inconvenience. I can transfer you to a supervisor for further information.
11:55 AM Notice: Victor transferred ************** to John.
11:55 AM Notice: John has joined the chat session.
11:55 AM Notice: Victor has exited the chat session.
11:55 AM **************: The information that I need is "how to disable Carrier IQ" on my phone.....
11:56 AM John: Sorry but unfortunately that application cannot be removed
11:57 AM **************: Too bad. Nice phone but now it is a POS and I will be returning it to AT&T for a different phone. I wonder how come Motorola Moto X that my wife just got with the same carrier does not have Carrier IQ but my phone does...

So there you have it, AT&T denies that it is their issue and LG says "too bad sooo sad". It appears to be an LG issue. If it was an AT&T issue, I am guessing that they would have it installed on all of their new phones. So unless you want to root your phone, you are going to be stuck with Carrier IQ either until AT&T or LG are sued for invasion of privacy under the "wire tap" laws.

So now I have to decide whether to root my phone or return it under the 14 days. I have until Thursday. It is too bad, this is a new phone for me and I was really excited about having a smart phone but I did not realize that "smart phone" meant "no privacy phone", "spyware phone", or "trap every key stroke phone". I really really liked the LG G2.....

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a international version of the phone and it has no CIQ. It is the carrier that installs it. Not sure why you are ragging on LG. BTW it certainly looks like all phones are compromised and have the ability to track and spy on you. I would be surprised if the Moto X doesn't have software on it the does the same thing maybe just not CIQ

Carriers don't unpackaged the devices to install carrier IQ. They tell LG the want it and LG bends backwards.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfgfg