At what stage is the bloat added?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, this post might be for a different forum, but I was wondering if anyone knew at what stage the bloat is added to our new phones?

Say for instance our new Notes. Does Samsung add Verizon's bloat to the phone before shipping them to Verizon, or does Verizon get the phones from Samsung, add the bloat and then ship them off.

Not really an important question but I was just curious how this process worked.

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this post might be for a different forum, but I was wondering if anyone knew at what stage the bloat is added to our new phones?

Say for instance our new Notes. Does Samsung add Verizon's bloat to the phone before shipping them to Verizon, or does Verizon get the phones from Samsung, add the bloat and then ship them off.

Not really an important question but I was just curious how this process worked.

I believe Verizon adds it to the phones..

Posted via the Android Central App

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I believe Sammie adds it. They're sent stuff from each carrier and it's added. Then the phone is packaged. I just can't see the box being reopened and repackaged. That's the my guess.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon requests Samsung to add in Verizon additions. Samsung adds it and sends it to Verizon for approval. After it is approved then Samsung will install it on the phone, or provide it as an OTA

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizon requests Samsung to add in Verizon additions. Samsung adds it and sends it to Verizon for approval. After it is approved then Samsung will install it on the phone, or provide it as an OTA

Cool, thanks. I always wondered about this especially with these pre orders and wondering who was finalizing the software.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
There are several levels.

Google includes it's favorite apps (usually preceded by "Google") when it publishes the OS.

Then the manufacturer (say, Samsung) makes a few substitutions and adds their favorites (Kindle for Samsung, Touchwiz).

Then your provider will make a few more substitutions and add their favorites...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There are several levels.

Google includes it's favorite apps (usually preceded by "Google") when it publishes the OS.

Then the manufacturer (say, Samsung) makes a few substitutions and adds their favorites (Kindle for Samsung, Touchwiz).

Then your provider will make a few more substitutions and add their favorites...
Google publishes the os as Android open source project. That is base Android.

Google then adds more apps in what they consider to be ideal. Usually you will see Google phones with this.

Samsung adds their stuff on top of Google additions

Carriers will make stuff additions on top of this

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Verizon or carriers are no good in this, they say how they want to spoil the phone and Samsung bends over back, makes any software, hardware changes carriers want, carriers test and approve, Samsung then ships. Everything is done by Samsung on carriers behalf.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon or carriers are no good in this, they say how they want to spoil the phone and Samsung bends over back, makes any software, hardware changes carriers want, carriers test and approve, Samsung then ships. Everything is done by Samsung on carriers behalf.
If you are a technically inclined then just buy the Samsung unlocked usa version. Which doesn't have any Carrier additions like apps, and certain features like Verizon wfc.

Just keep in mind that the Verizon s7 got security updates much quicker, and the Carrier doesn't fully support these models (they can't be warranteed through the carrier, and the Carrier would provide limited support in case of signal problems)

But it is an option for those who want carrier free models.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Its a mix. Like computers phones are flashed with a pre-created image at the factory. Usually the manufacturers only put their own bloatware (Samsung software) on the initial image along with any required software (Goggle has certain software they require for manufacturers to install on devices in order for that device to be a certified Google device/ OS). The Verizon (and other carrier's) software is usually installed from the SIM card when you insert it and activate your phone. Third you have software that installs software when your system "updates" (apps like DT Ignite do this).

On the subject of bloatware here is an article that was done about bloatware (on the s7s), and what you may want to remove and keep:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-s7-guide,review-3456-2.html

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Its a mix. Like computers phones are flashed with a pre-created image at the factory. Usually the manufacturers only put their own bloatware (Samsung software) on the initial image along with any required software (Goggle has certain software they require for manufacturers to install on devices in order for that device to be a certified Google device/ OS). The Verizon (and other carrier's) software is usually installed from the SIM card when you insert it and activate your phone. Third you have software that installs software when your system "updates" (apps like DT Ignite do this).

On the subject of bloatware here is an article that was done about bloatware (on the s7s), and what you may want to remove and keep:

Where are you getting this information for the Verizon variant? The main Verizon additions ARE NOT installed from the sim card. You will still see the additions even if you remove the SIM and activate wifi only.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This is possible, not from a SIM, but from a "carrier" partition.

Carrier branded phones aren't really doing this at the moment. The carrier bloat is already on the ROM and the ones that can only be disabled (not uninstalled) are in system.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance