Auto Restart Function Missing

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Idiotic

I honestly never used this. I always felt I was the better judge of when the phone needed a reboot, same with my home wifi.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

I honestly never used this. I always felt I was the better judge of when the phone needed a reboot, same with my home wifi.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I use it, it gets done while I'm sleeping once a week, out of sight, out of mind and never have issues. There's nothing wrong with letting those that want to do it have the choice to do it, whether it's needed or not, it doesn't hurt anything.

Choices, that's been the backbone to android

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I wonder if there's something about Android 13 that required Samsung to remove the feature.

(BTW, I'm one of those weirdos who never have issues with my Pixels either. I know, cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo :p)
It's not removed feature but u can't schedule it anymore.

I never had to restart my devices only for software updates.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Interesting. I respectfully disagree. It seems like more and more modern PCs and workstations need scheduled or regular reboots to clear small errors and allow security and software updates to function correctly. I'm sure the phone doesn't need weekly updates but maybe monthly are not a bad idea. Or anytime you have an issue. Just my thoughts.

Rebooting to apply updates is one thing. Rebooting as a matter of habit "to clear small errors" seems, as I said, like a cop-out to a poorly-programmed OS or OS overlay (OneUI in the case of Samsung). My Mac is currently on nearly 2 months (52 days, 19 hours) since I last did a reboot and it runs perfectly fine. My Pixel phones don't typically get rebooted between monthly patches and don't have any issues.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Rebooting to apply updates is one thing. Rebooting as a matter of habit "to clear small errors" seems, as I said, like a cop-out to a poorly-programmed OS or OS overlay (OneUI in the case of Samsung). My Mac is currently on nearly 2 months (52 days, 19 hours) since I last did a reboot and it runs perfectly fine. My Pixel phones don't typically get rebooted between monthly patches and don't have any issues.

I'm guessing Samsung can do it also, it's habit for most of us. There has been several that have said they dont restart their Samsung phones above. The pixle phone isn't better, Samsung just has a setting that some like and probably isn't needed.

I have gone over a month with my Samsung phones without reboot and no issues. I just to do auto restart because I can, and it doesn't hurt a thing if it restarts while I'm sleeping.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I'm not inclined to agree. A mobile phone and a PC/workstation are both computers, one is just a handheld one.

Indeed, in much the same way Humands can fly and lay eggs, because Humans, Bats and Echidnas are all mammals.

PCs and Android phones are both computers. They have things in common, but they are not the same. ,

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Bottom line is just another feature Samsung removed that gave people choices. Choices are always good

The option to auto restart is still there, it's just changed slightly. Assuming it works properly (which is admittedly a big assumption )all they've done is improved it from "reboot at arbitrary time whether necessary or not" to "reboot when deemed necessary".

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I remember the bad old days for Android in general (regardless of the manufacturer) when regular restarts were helpful. It's matured so much since then that they're really not necessary.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I remember the bad old days for Android in general (regardless of the manufacturer) when regular restarts were helpful. It's matured so much since then that they're really not necessary.
Think it's old timers like me that went thru those times that like and want the auto restart feature.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

The option to auto restart is still there, it's just changed slightly. Assuming it works properly (which is admittedly a big assumption )all they've done is improved it from "reboot at arbitrary time whether necessary or not" to "reboot when deemed necessary".
In my experience auto features aren't that great. I still think we should have choice of the auto restart thing or set a schedule, at least untill we can see proof the auto restart works good.

We have choice of manual brightness or adaptive brightness, why not give us choice here? Auto restarts won't hurt anything.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

In my experience auto features aren't that great. I still think we should have choice of the auto restart thing or set a schedule, at least untill we can see proof the auto restart works good.

We have choice of manual brightness or adaptive brightness, why not give us choice here? Auto restarts won't hurt anything.

I think they're probably using this to phase it out... wouldn't be surprised if it's gone in 14 or 15.

Maybe they should just add "Restart Phoe" to routines.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I remember it being pretty much necessary every couple of days. Then it slipped to about a week. Now I just don't need to restart

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky