Axon 7 - is it worth keeping or even buying one in Nov 2018?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Curious about those who own one and whether they'll continue to use the Axon 7. Knowing ZTE hasn't released the Oreo update via OTA, I wonder if the phone will receive any security updates or get any sort of support. It's a solid device and with prices skyrocketing on new phones, it still seems like a contender even if not the fastest.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A more than 2 year old phone limited to Nougat? If you have it, and aren't really jonesing for Oreo or Pie, it's worth keeping. It even has fingerprint scanning.

But buy one? As bovcrx said, it depends on the price. I wouldn't go over about $100, and I don't think you'll find one in even half-decent shape for that.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I have been AT&T LG V20 and it's got a Oreo with September security patch. If I can find one for $100, I'll pick up another. High dac and battery replacement are worth it to me. If you can find mint condition one for $150, I recommend it.

bovcrx

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I get the LG V series for the Quad DAC. That was why I got the Axon 7 also. I'd get a V30 if I was in your shoes. Also depends on what you're looking for.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
A more than 2 year old phone limited to Nougat? If you have it, and aren't really jonesing for Oreo or Pie, it's worth keeping. It even has fingerprint scanning.

But buy one? As bovcrx said, it depends on the price. I wouldn't go over about $100, and I don't think you'll find one in even half-decent shape for that.

There's a guy on Ebay who just got a replacement from the factory that's never been used. Opening bid is $149 which I think is too high. I was contemplating the Essential PH-1, but people get crazy and prices often top $300. Far too much in my opinion. The V20 is pretty huge and the DAC isn't that important to me. The G6 has been riddled with issues and most phone geeks seem to feel LG's phones are weak link in their product line. I happen to own a new LG OLED TV and it's amazing!

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
There's a guy on Ebay who just got a replacement from the factory that's never been used. Opening bid is $149 which I think is too high. I was contemplating the Essential PH-1, but people get crazy and prices often top $300. Far too much in my opinion. The V20 is pretty huge and the DAC isn't that important to me. The G6 has been riddled with issues and most phone geeks seem to feel LG's phones are weak link in their product line. I happen to own a new LG OLED TV and it's amazing!
If dac is not important to you, there is no reason to get a axon 7.

bovcrx

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Since you don't care for the Quad DAC then what do you really want the Axon 7 for? It's appeal was that and front speakers, and Dolby Atmos. If your price cap is 200 you're gonna be looking at 2 year old Flagships. Nothing wrong with them either. I got V30 and there isn't anything wrong with it to me. You could find a DTEK 60 for 200 now I'm sure. That phone looked decent when it was released.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Since you don't care for the Quad DAC then what do you really want the Axon 7 for? It's appeal was that and front speakers, and Dolby Atmos. If your price cap is 200 you're gonna be looking at 2 year old Flagships. Nothing wrong with them either. I got V30 and there isn't anything wrong with it to me. You could find a DTEK 60 for 200 now I'm sure. That phone looked decent when it was released.

Thanks though I will say that I've read countless forum threads and comments that LG's phones are crap and that they don't support them either. For example look at the V20 forum and see how many people are going nuts since updating to Oreo; not good. Never heard of DTEK. I'm going to hunt for a well priced OnePlus 5 or 5T since I feel the 3T while nice is at the end of its update cycle.

bovcrx

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
So you're into going against the grain? Or ROMS? I used to do Nexus phones and did always look at One+ but just never got one. Eventually I didn't feel like modding phones anymore so I just figure I wanted the best music experience. Well good luck in your hunt.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
So you're into going against the grain? Or ROMS? I used to do Nexus phones and did always look at One+ but just never got one. Eventually I didn't feel like modding phones anymore so I just figure I wanted the best music experience. Well good luck in your hunt.

Thanks and I don't do custom ROM's or other stuff like that. I appreciate the feedback and advice and will steer clear of the Axon 7.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have an HTC 10, but recently zte replaced the power button on my son's axon 7. He gave me the 7 and for the past few weeks I'm loving it. Button spacing I'm getting used to, and of course no illuminated buttons, but it's still a great device.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC 10, but recently zte replaced the power button on my son's axon 7. He gave me the 7 and for the past few weeks I'm loving it. Button spacing I'm getting used to, and of course no illuminated buttons, but it's still a great device.

Yes I'm sure you're enjoying it though like others say here, its unlikely it will get any updates from here on out. Of course you rec'd yours as a gift which is far different than shelling out $$ for one :)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes I'm sure you're enjoying it though like others say here, its unlikely it will get any updates from here on out. Of course you rec'd yours as a gift which is far different than shelling out $$ for one :)

True. It cost me a used 16gb iPhone I had laying around though. My kids know how to hustle me lol.
Pros and cons.
Oreo seems to drain my battery on the 10 so I decided to stick with Nougat. Maybe I will try the beta...

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I have both the Axon 7 and the LG V20.

Things I like about the Axon 7:

1. Display - specifically I like the AMOLED display for its depth of color.
2. Dual speakers - specifically for use as speakerphone on calls.

Things I like about the V20:

1. Replaceable battery
2. Screen size.
3. Camera - Outstanding and rivaling the camera in my iPhone 7 Plus. Significantly better IMHO than the Axon 7 camera. On paper the Axon 7 would seem to have the edge yet in actual use the V20 is better.

Other thoughts:

Since I use a bluetooth headset the DAC is irrelevant in either phone.
Performance between the two is very much the same. I cannot see any differences in how apps open or perform between the phones.
Battery life is about the same. Neither phone lasts me through a day. The iPhone 7 Plus does...
Both have USB-C and fast charge capability. Neither can do wireless charging.

Overall, I use the V20 as my daily driver since I have purchased an extended capacity battery for it and can go through the day easily. I prefer the Android system over the iOS system.

V20 is on Oreo, the Axon 7 on Nougat.

I have not tried any alternate ROM's but the Axon 7 can do so and the V20 cannot as far as I know.

I would sell my Axon 7 if I got a decent offer.

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
We still have 2 in the house. The kids have them now, both don't want to change. Both in great condition thanks to the poetic cases.

I would probably still be using mine if the radios/reception had been decent.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I have both the Axon 7 and the LG V20.

Things I like about the Axon 7:

1. Display - specifically I like the AMOLED display for its depth of color.
2. Dual speakers - specifically for use as speakerphone on calls.

Things I like about the V20:

1. Replaceable battery
2. Screen size.
3. Camera - Outstanding and rivaling the camera in my iPhone 7 Plus. Significantly better IMHO than the Axon 7 camera. On paper the Axon 7 would seem to have the edge yet in actual use the V20 is better.

Other thoughts:

Since I use a bluetooth headset the DAC is irrelevant in either phone.
Performance between the two is very much the same. I cannot see any differences in how apps open or perform between the phones.
Battery life is about the same. Neither phone lasts me through a day. The iPhone 7 Plus does...
Both have USB-C and fast charge capability. Neither can do wireless charging.

Overall, I use the V20 as my daily driver since I have purchased an extended capacity battery for it and can go through the day easily. I prefer the Android system over the iOS system.

V20 is on Oreo, the Axon 7 on Nougat.

I have not tried any alternate ROM's but the Axon 7 can do so and the V20 cannot as far as I know.

I would sell my Axon 7 if I got a decent offer.

Very interesting comments about the V20, though overall everything I read about LG phones is far from flattering. Most feel the Axon 7 is worth little though since its unlikely to get updates and even Oreo can't be installed OTA. As for myself, my ancient Galaxy S3 battery with moderate use lasts MORE than full day with a battery 1/3 smaller than either of these phones. I've seen several brand new V20's for sale locally for $200. Most reviews are mediocre though I'm glad to hear you're one of those who hasn't had problems and likes the device.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Curious about those who own one and whether they'll continue to use the Axon 7. Knowing ZTE hasn't released the Oreo update via OTA, I wonder if the phone will receive any security updates or get any sort of support. It's a solid device and with prices skyrocketing on new phones, it still seems like a contender even if not the fastest.

My daily driver is the great LG V30. I've been using my axon7 for a bedside clock. But today, I took my axon7, updated everything, popped in my other sim card and couldn't believe just how good that phone is. Even though it's got the 820soc,it still flies, has a great screen, and super sound system, although it won't beat out the ESS Sabre quad dac in my v30. The camera isn't really super great but it still is a wonderful device.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My daily driver is the great LG V30. I've been using my axon7 for a bedside clock. But today, I took my axon7, updated everything, popped in my other sim card and couldn't believe just how good that phone is. Even though it's got the 820soc,it still flies, has a great screen, and super sound system, although it won't beat out the ESS Sabre quad dac in my v30. The camera isn't really super great but it still is a wonderful device.

I sent mine to see if I was having any issues and I wasn't. Using my HTC 10 I really missed the axon 7. I will use it until the 9 comes to the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC