Back to the G5 - No more Note 7

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Since my Note 7 replacement may be a ticking time bomb, I have powered it down and am back to using a G5. I had forgotten how much I enjoy this phone. Sure, I wish the screen was a little brighter and more vibrant, and I miss the battery life, but the G5 is just sooo much faster in day to day use. No shuddering or lagging, and everything is super smooth. I'm really enjoying using it again.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Since my Note 7 replacement may be a ticking time bomb, I have powered it down and am back to using a G5. I had forgotten how much I enjoy this phone. Sure, I wish the screen was a little brighter and more vibrant, and I miss the battery life, but the G5 is just sooo much faster in day to day use. No shuddering or lagging, and everything is super smooth. I'm really enjoying using it again.

I just picked up a g5 over the weekend. You are dead right on how much faster it is then the note 7. Battery life is awful compared to the note but it's a really pleasant phone for the price I paid.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, at least it charges quickly, especially with the stock charger

I just picked up a g5 over the weekend. You are dead right on how much faster it is then the note 7. Battery life is awful compared to the note but it's a really pleasant phone for the price I paid.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
When you say battery life is awful, like how bad? How much battery life could you hey from the note 7 compared to the g5? Thanks

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I guess it depends on how you're using it. Standby is actually fantastic. If you're just watching or streaming video it's not bad. This morning I watched Netflix for a couple hours and it got down to about 73% but had a little over 2 hours of screen on time at that point, which isn't bad. Mixed use seems to go down faster than the Note did, and using the camera seems to particularly eat up battery. I just noticed that overall it felt like it dropped faster than the Note 7. But I guess that makes sense considering it is 700 mAh less.

When you say battery life is awful, like how bad? How much battery life could you hey from the note 7 compared to the g5? Thanks

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

And you don't get to roast marshmallows over the G5. A real drawback. (hehehe)

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm pretty heavy user for work using gps and a lot of phone calls. I was getting around 5.5 to 6.5 hours of sot with the note 7 I've been getting around 3.5 to 4 for the g5. I think it's just the lcd panel that lg uses. The g5 is so much more smooth and fast than the note 7.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
The g5 is so much more smooth and fast than the note 7.

That's why I don't get how so many people say that the Note 7 was the fastest and smoothest phone they've ever used. Also when LG is criticized for its software. My G5 runs circles around the Note 7

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

The G5 is faster? Interesting. I have a G5 and it is fast. Didn't think it would really be any faster than the beast Note 7 though. I was actually considering getting a Note 7 before I got my G5, but the price (twice what the G5 costs unlocked) scared me away. Dodged a bullet there lol.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The G5 is faster? Interesting. I have a G5 and it is fast. Didn't think it would really be any faster than the beast Note 7 though. I was actually considering getting a Note 7 before I got my G5, but the price (twice what the G5 costs unlocked) scared me away. Dodged a bullet there lol.

The note was fast but it would have hiccups here and there. I use SwiftKey and I had to remove it on the note it would lag so much. On the g5 haven't had one issue with SwiftKey. I think lg gets a bad rep for their software. I personally like the way it looks and run. I really enjoyed the note line and actually used the spen all the time, but I wonder how much of that slows the phone down over time.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
why not get the V20?

I picked up a new g5 on craiglist for $230. It was too good price to pick up. I think the v20 looks like a great device, but from what I'm reading it doesn't sound like the battery is going to be any better than the g5. I'll have to see the v20 in person and see how big it is. I'm used to big phones but the g5 feels great and light. I don't feel like I have a tablet in my hand like many big phones.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
The note was fast but it would have hiccups here and there. I use SwiftKey and I had to remove it on the note it would lag so much. On the g5 haven't had one issue with SwiftKey. I think lg gets a bad rep for their software. I personally like the way it looks and run. I really enjoyed the note line and actually used the spen all the time, but I wonder how much of that slows the phone down over time.

Ah I see. I had a Note 4 for a while and liked it, but it did start to lag after a while.

I'm surprised the G5 gets the amount of flak that it does. I mean it's a flagship phone spec wise for well under $500. Sure its screen doesn't bamboozle you right off the bat. But I guess form over function is the name of the game these days.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Haha yeah you did!

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I got mine for a good price a couple of months ago from our local equivalent to Craigslist. It ended up being a good purchase because I had a S7 edge that I dropped and broke and couldn't immediately pay for the deductible on the insurance. Then with all of this Note 7 stuff. Went on vacation a few weeks ago and couldn't take the Note 7 on the plane, so I took the G5 instead. It took some really great pictures too!

I picked up a new g5 on craiglist for $230. It was too good price to pick up. I think the v20 looks like a great device, but from what I'm reading it doesn't sound like the battery is going to be any better than the g5. I'll have to see the v20 in person and see how big it is. I'm used to big phones but the g5 feels great and light. I don't feel like I have a tablet in my hand like many big phones.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I got mine for a good price a couple of months ago from our local equivalent to Craigslist. It ended up being a good purchase because I had a S7 edge that I dropped and broke and couldn't immediately pay for the deductible on the insurance. Then with all of this Note 7 stuff. Went on vacation a few weeks ago and couldn't take the Note 7 on the plane, so I took the G5 instead. It took some really great pictures too!

I got mine on eBay for about $430 USD. The camera, and the fact it has double tap to wake (I'm an old Nokia hardliner lol) are what intrigued me to look at the G5 in the first place, when I saw price compared to other flagships I was sold. Bonus is the audio playback with headphones sounds great! And the wide-angle camera came in very handy on a recent trip to the UK.

The G5 is my best bang for back smartphone purchase I've ever made.