Bad Proximity Sensor

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
So, after 5 months of bliss with my Infuse, the screen started acting up in a major way. During active phone calls, when I would pull the phone from the side of my head ;) -- because I needed to access a phone tree or delete a voicemail or whatver -- the screen would remain dark. Been going on about 3 weeks. I thought it would sort of magically repair itself with an app update, or the latest OTA update, but that hasn't been the case. Talked to three different AT&T people yesterday, over the course of 50 minutes, and their diagnosis was bad proximity sensor. So a warranty replacement is on the way.

Anyone else have this problem?

exsterminator

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem every time I use the speakerphone when ending a phone call - no matter which way I move the phone or how vigorously, it does not sense that I have changed the angle for the call screen to then show up. Pressing the power button on the right side makes the screen come back and I can then end the call but not always ideal. Is this the same thing you are referring to?

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem every time I use the speakerphone when ending a phone call - no matter which way I move the phone or how vigorously, it does not sense that I have changed the angle for the call screen to then show up. Pressing the power button on the right side makes the screen come back and I can then end the call but not always ideal. Is this the same thing you are referring to?

Although I literally never use speakerphone, that is the problem I've been having. The phone's backlight doesn't light up when it should (i.e., the phone is pulled from the side of my head, and SHOULD sense both the movement and the fact that my ear is no longer in close proximity to the device).

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
New phone was waiting for me when I got home from work, yay! I'm now rooted, apps and settings reinstalled, and ready to rock. And best of all, my screen lights up when it should. And yes, it was brand spanking new Infuse (minus battery, sim card, and even the phone back!). Shipped overnight. Pleased with AT&T right now.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

This has been happening to me. It's so annoying. I thought it was an oversight in software design. I have to hit the power button to turn the backlight back on. Is there something wrong with my phone? It's been doing this since day one, 5 weeks ago.

Ulised

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
so I don't think it is your proximity sensor. it is your cover or case that is the problem. I had the same problem with the screen going black. I found some info about some cases covering or shading the proximity sensor. so I tested mine with and without the case and yes works just fine without the case. the case blocks light from the proximity sensor. bummer, but at least the phone is not defective.