Bad SIM card or something wrong with my Nexus 5...?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Recently, I had to switch to using a T-Mobile Straight Talk Micro SIM card because I had to wait on a replacement from Straight Talk for my AT&T SIM card. As soon as I started using that SIM I noticed horrible battery life. After using the phone, I see the phone fluctuate/bounce between 3G, H, and LTE. This happens whenever I use internet, text, or make phone calls. It'll drop to 3G, jump back to H (or just drop from LTE to H and stay there), and then back to LTE after some time.

My question is, has anyone else seen this behavior in their Nexus 5 with a T-Mobile SIM (particularly Straight Talk, but I guess T-Mobile in general)? I am on the latest build MOB30H. I wanted to hold off putting the AT&T SIM in my phone until I can get some answers on this because I don't want to risk that one expiring (Straight Talk SIMs expire if you transfer your number to another SIM).

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
It could just be that T-Mobile coverage in your area is bad. Is T-Mobile servicing any towers?

Thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure actually, I just know that I at least get LTE service and it will stay on LTE until I start to actually use the phone. If I just stare at the screen it shows LTE, but when I open the web, browse the store, etc, it drops to 3G/H.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure actually, I just know that I at least get LTE service and it will stay on LTE until I start to actually use the phone. If I just stare at the screen it shows LTE, but when I open the web, browse the store, etc, it drops to 3G/H.
Have you tried the T-Mobile SIM in another phone? If so, what happens?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried the T-Mobile SIM in another phone? If so, what happens?

I will try with my Lumia Icon. I spoke with Straight Talk and he gave me totally different APN settings than what is posted on even their own website. It appears LTE is "sticking" now, we'll see in a little while. Thanks for you help!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I will try with my Lumia Icon. I spoke with Straight Talk and he gave me totally different APN settings than what is posted on even their own website. It appears LTE is "sticking" now, we'll see in a little while. Thanks for you help!

Doesn't the Icon use a nanoSIM? I have the Lumia 930, which does. Unless you plan to cut. :)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^ You're not alone....I've planned switches from one phone to another myself and then remembered the size difference.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers