Battery Drain after VZW OTA 4.2.2 Update?

nmc445

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I received the OTA 4.2.2 update this morning.

I have an extended battery. (It's actually my second one, having originally purchased with the phone itself in Sept 2011).

Now, my battery is draining within 90 minutes. I turned off LTE --- has not helped.

For the second time today, I'm going to have to plug the GNex into the wall.

I've tried searching for similar issues. Maybe I did a poor job with the search words.

Any help or ideas??

Thanks in advance.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
other people are experiencing this too. I would try powering it down, then doing a SIM card pull. Wait a few minutes with the SIM card pulled, put it back in and then power back on.

dafunkymunky

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm right there with you. I updated OTA a couple days ago and my Gnex has become worthless in regards to battery life. I used to have no issues at all going all day and not needing to plug into the charger until around 8PM. I have the official Samsung extended battery. Now that I'm updated to 4.2.2 I'm getting maybe 3 hours. What's worse is I'm not even really using the phone much at all. I'm hoping there is some kind of fix out there.

Barnaldo

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list. My extended battery, which normally lasts at least a full day is now draining within 3-4 hours, and getting hot to the touch. I'm trying various solutions, reboots, shut downs, pulling the battery, etc, but so far no joy. Hope someone comes up with a fix.

Update: I've now tried the supposed Exchange delete & re-add fix, but it didn't help. I am now noticing other things like overall slowness, not receiving notifications for incoming emails (though they show in the list when I look at the account), and my phone not securing itself when I turn off the screen (I have it set to secure after one minute).

The bells and whistles of 4.2.2 are nice, but not worth this issue. Is there any way to uninstall it and go back to 4.1.1?

Last edited:

dafunkymunky

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to go ahead and do a factory reset. I want to rule out anything I can. If that doesn't work I'm going to try out the factory battery that came with the unit just to see if its an issue with the extended batteries.

UPDATE: Still waiting for the phone to charge to see if the battery problem is any better but holy smokes this phone is fast after a factory reset.

Last edited:

TheEngine

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine seems to be taken up by Exchange Server and Maps.:(

When I looked at battery usage, Maps was taking up about 35% of my overall drain. I have since uninstalled it and rebooted the device, and it appears to have reinstalled it and is no longer taking up excessive amounts of battery. YMMV, though.

dafunkymunky

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
That's because all of those apps you download aren't running!

Nope. I reinstalled all the same apps. Same apps and widgets running as before and still way better. It's got that buttery feeling back. I'm sure it was all the random apps that got installed and uninstalled along the way. Just nice to have a fresh install again.

acofran

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem...extended battery drains within an hour. Exchange using 46% of battery. Phone gets really hot before it shuts down.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having the same problem...extended battery drains within an hour. Exchange using 46% of battery. Phone gets really hot before it shuts down.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Count me in n the battery drain problems. I have been have some issues with maps but this may be related to my not backing fully out of the weather radar map. Kaiten email wasn't a huge drain but since I have switched to an all Gmail setup I uninstalled it. 1 hour and 22 minutes and I am at 52%. Phone keeps getting hot and heat=energy when it comes to battery. I am watching very close now but did have some screen on time while I was researching this so I will need to recharge and let it ride for awhile to see the biggest culprit. Right now its Screen 44%, Google Services 15%, Maps 9%, Android OS 8% etc.

dafunkymunky

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
to dafunkymonkey...You never did comment as to improved battery life...

It took a while last night to charge back up from drained battery so I didn't get a good chance to test last night. Pulled off the dock this morning and the fast battery drain seems to be gone. I won't be able to give a good update until my usual work day on Monday. I'll be sure to post back here once I have that info.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky