Battery horrible

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My phone has been on for 3hrs 18min after a full charge. I am down to 36% already.
Background data is off, 4g off, wifi off, settings are on maximum battery saver, no live wallpapers.
I've barely used it today. Most of the usage is going to the display and phone idle even though it's been in my pocket.
Any ideas on what I can do? My EVO was better than this.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
No idea. Mine is currently at 35%, having been on for 9 hours. I usualy leave 4G and GPS off, and have never tried a live wallpaer, but otherwise do nothing to maximize batterty time.

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
How long before you display blanks out? That, and as hatchettjack said....bad service...will kill them quicker than anything.

I forgot that I had my screen set to not blank and I'm 5 hours and down to 28%...the worst I've seen with this phone. I had the FM radio on for two hours....use EAS with full push for corp email...etc.

On a normal day, with significant use, I'm getting 12-14 hours. Tons of email and texts...maybe 45 min total talk time on the phone.

This is a ton better than my Evo. Oh...and I have great signal coverage where I live...crappy where I work.

bj

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
go to battery and data manager-battery usage-then click the top where you see the graph, where the bar for awake is. Is it solid or does it have breaks in it and stuff? Should look like the first one, not the second

eq0120

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
i just got my photon, and my battery is amazing compared to my OG evo 4g, try un-installing all your apps and see what happens then, and then install them back one at a time, then maybe you'll find the rogue app thats draining your battery
good luck

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
i just got my photon, and my battery is amazing compared to my OG evo 4g, try un-installing all your apps and see what happens then, and then install them back one at a time, then maybe you'll find the rogue app thats draining your battery
good luck

Absolutely!

My old EVO 3D was great for awhile, then I went crazy trying various apps and battery started dying quickly. Hard reset, installed only the apps I really used, and battery was fine again.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
My battery life hasn't been up to par with other phones I've owned, but to be at 36 % after only 3 hours means you either have a defective battery or something excessively polling in the background.

ApolloDeus

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have looked at the battery manager and out says that 41 percent of my usage gsa as been display.. mine died in 6 hours yesterday...
Is there a really good barry saving app available?

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Mine has been on the battery for almost 4 hours, and still have 80% left. Battery mode is set to performance mode, gps is on, but not being used at the moment, data is on.......

1316626646266.png

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
A few recommendations,

1. Connect to a wifi network as often as possible (that will save your battery life substantially).

2. Go to settings, Accounts & Sync, and only sync important things.
Just in Google I have only Calendar, Contacts, and Gmail syncing. Unchecked the rest (Books, Blogger, Reader, Docs, Google+ Notifications, Web Albums, ETC).

3. In account settings, see what other apps are syncing, I personally only have contacts sync on my twitter, but not data. I found that Facebook sync is a major battery killer, and use Friendcaster over the stock Facebook app (better app IMO).

4. Go into each app you have installed, turn off notifications on apps you dont want to notify or auto update. Weatherbug or other weather apps are prime culprits for this type of stuff, and sometime ignore the no background data function. Plenty of apps will still use background data when auto-sync is unchecked.

I leave GPS, wifi, and 4G on all the time on my Nexus S 4G and get 12+ hours of battery life, and if I am on wifi most of the day, I will get around 20 hours.

I also found not having a ton of apps installed really helps, I went from 200 apps to 100 and it was a huge difference.

Good Luck.

PS, menus may be in different areas then they are on the Nexus S.

P K T

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Something is definitely not right. I normally have very good radio signal..and light use during the day while at work - mainly on Wifi. For example, with push email setting for gmail, on Wifi, and hardly any use throughout the day, my battery was 100% at 7AM and now at 90% at 5:45PM. No live wallpaper or any other widgets except for Motorola calender, built in weather widget, and built in social networking running.

skitzer9

May 26, 2010
Visit site
My mom has this phone and she had this same problem, where she would charge it to 100% at night and at the morning like around 7am it would appear like 60-70% of battery, with no use!!!(to note: she only turns on Data when she uses it...GPs, Bluetooth, Wifi is off)!..so I played around with the phone and decided to change the Battery Mode to Performance Mode...And now the battery last even more!!!! Before she had to charge the phone twice, and she doesnt use it a lot.. and now she only charges it once a day and maybe even once every two day.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I also thought that my Photon had a really bad battery life, this is coming from an orig. EVO 4g, I found my problem was The Weather Channel App, which I did use on my EVO, but for some reason it did not act the same on the Photon, I removed TWC app and my battery life went up about 25% better than with the app installed, other than that I am really liking the phone

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
My mom has this phone and she had this same problem, where she would charge it to 100% at night and at the morning like around 7am it would appear like 60-70% of battery, with no use!!!(to note: she only turns on Data when she uses it...GPs, Bluetooth, Wifi is off)!..so I played around with the phone and decided to change the Battery Mode to Performance Mode...And now the battery last even more!!!! Before she had to charge the phone twice, and she doesnt use it a lot.. and now she only charges it once a day and maybe even once every two day.

Just curious, but does that make a difference with the battery? I have it on battery saving mode and I don't have any problems. Does performance mode really give better battery life?

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been on here for a while. Thanks for all of the responses.

I always turn on wifi at home but at work the signal is crap. I don't think our IT guy knows how to set up the system properly. Besides, I thought wifi was a battery drainer anyway.
I very rarely bother with 4G because I don't get it in most areas around town. GPS is only on when I need it.
I keep it on battery saver mode but I will try the performance mode starting tomorrow. It says that it doesn't save on battery so I never tried it. At night I just turn it off while charging.

My display is set to 30 seconds right now. I had it at 15 but it wasn't long enough for me. Right now it says the display has used 66%.
I don't have Facebook or Twitter notifications on. Just email and SMS.

It was freaky fast after I got it and obviously I put apps on it. I put everything I can on the SD card so save space even with all of the available space on it. I tried the overclock app and while it seemed faster it also started to lag real bad so I removed it.

I do have a few different launchers installed and only use maybe 2 of them. I've noticed that sometimes one of them is running in the background even though I haven't opened it.

We'll see over the weekend what happens with the new settings. Might do a reset and start over again which I hate doing and then root it again.

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
All I would like to know from people is how long your display time is when your battery is almost dead.

In other words, go to see how your battery is used in yoru phone and look at the largest culprit, your screen. I can about 3 hours of screen time from my phone. How much can you get?

People all talkign about getting 15-20 to 30 hours is really great, but it all boils down to how long your screen is lit during that time. If it's like for a total of 4 or 5 hours, I'll be impressed, but my guess is that no one gets above 3 or 3.5 hours of screen time.

I'm at 50% right now and my screen time is 1 hour 36 minutes. Of course there are other factors like if you're on wifi or 3g/4g. If you have a strong signal or if you're phone is always having to find a signal, etc...but the biggest factor in your battery life is your display time.

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Right now I'm at 55% and the screen says 1h 21m.
I have plugged it in a couple times today which is why I'm still at 55%.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reflavius