Battery sales and OEMs.

tedsc

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
My family is really hard on phone batteries. My kids regularly run their phone until it powers itself off for lack of charge. My wife has had her Note II for less than a year and already the battery holds roughly 75% of the charge it held originally (she too notoriously abuses the battery). We have tried Motorola, HTC, LG and Samsung with the same result ..... I know that it is how we use the phones that is the problem, not how the phones are produced.

If you are like me and you accept your personal limitations, you really only have 1 manufacturer to choose from in a high end phone which is Samsung. Don't get me wrong, I am happy enough with Samsung but I love Android because it offers choices to customers. Different sizes, different features, different price points. But a lot of those choice benefits evaporate when only one OEM produces premium phones (or even midrange for the most part) with the deal breaker feature.

The part that kills me about it is that I know the problem is on MY end. I am not upset about battery longevity, rather I am willing to buy a replacement when battery life becomes a problem. Samsung seems to be the only manufacturer willing to take my money by selling replacement batteries. Why is that?

I really like the LG unlock feature and wish I could buy and LG phone for myself but I know that battery will be a source of frustration down the road.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't Samsung outsell all other Android phone OEM's combined? It's funny that the other OEM's don't seem to think that removable batteries or storage are that important, yet they get stomped by the one company that consistently adds them to their phones.

tedsc

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I am with you on the tethering. My daughters always have to sit near an outlet so they can charge. They don't stop using their phone of course, just are plugged in while using their phone and the result is stretched cables and worn mini USB ports on the device.

Their not alone either I see their friends doing the same thing when they come over.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't Samsung outsell all other Android phone OEM's combined? It's funny that the other OEM's don't seem to think that removable batteries or storage are that important, yet they get stomped by the one company that consistently adds them to their phones.

I bet $$ that someone will say marketing to your point. But, I think its the inclusions such as micro SD and removable battery that add to whole overall package of a Samsung Device. I give them that, they make some damn good flagships the Galaxy line and the Note line are the best selling android devices EVER!

Posted via Android Central App

mykl376

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Removable/expandable battery, better camera, and SD card/upgradeable memory. Those are really my biggest 3 reasons for picking the S4. I wanted to want the Moto X, but it lacks all 3, so easy choice when I put it in simple terms.

I went from a Bionic with an extended battery to my S4, and so far my stock Samsung battery is lasting about as long as my Bionic's big ol' fatty battery. I'm still going to get an extra battery or 2 to be able to swap out, but I think I like the slim feel of my S4 with a thin TPU case.

Posted via Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Samsung makes a wide range of Android devices, from flagship down to quite reasonably priced phones. If your complaint is that you can't get a moderately price phone with a removable battery, I think you're wrong.

You could also try installing a battery warning app on your family members' phones, and teach them how to find an AC outlet when it goes off. :)

tedsc

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
If your complaint is that you can't get a moderately price phone with a removable battery, I think you're wrong.)

That was actually not my complaint. I am glad to see the LG G Pro 2 has a replaceable battery, perhaps they will proliferate that thinking to the G2 replacement later this year. I also hope HTC follows along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salpha