Battery Saving Apps, Yes or No?

Fishwhenican

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,
Picked up the S 3 (Verizon) over the weekend and LOVE the phone! But, when I picked up the phone the salesperson made a comment to never ever install and battery saving app. He claimed it would stop apps that were meant to be running and really mess up the phone. I was using Battery Dr saver + Task Killer and frankly it saved my Droid3 from being returned. Without that app installed and running on the Droid it was almost useless. With it running 100% difference and had great battery life.
So Far the Galaxy is not horrible but I did notice yesterday morning as I was downloading apps and getting it all squared away the way I like it, it did drain over 1/2 the battery in just a couple of hours. This is working off of Wi-Fi. I am tempted to put Battery Dr or an app like Juice Defender on it but with what the sales guy said I am now leary.
Opinions, Facts or other suggestions???
Elkaholic

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,
Picked up the S 3 (Verizon) over the weekend and LOVE the phone! But, when I picked up the phone the salesperson made a comment to never ever install and battery saving app. He claimed it would stop apps that were meant to be running and really mess up the phone. I was using Battery Dr saver + Task Killer and frankly it saved my Droid3 from being returned. Without that app installed and running on the Droid it was almost useless. With it running 100% difference and had great battery life.
So Far the Galaxy is not horrible but I did notice yesterday morning as I was downloading apps and getting it all squared away the way I like it, it did drain over 1/2 the battery in just a couple of hours. This is working off of Wi-Fi. I am tempted to put Battery Dr or an app like Juice Defender on it but with what the sales guy said I am now leary.
Opinions, Facts or other suggestions???
Elkaholic

I've read a few posts here that said Juice Defender doubled their phone's battery life. Download it and see what happens.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i dont believe that an app can improve battery life on >2.2 devices but im open minded if anyone has evidence.
just long pressing home key, closing all apps and turning on power saving mode (with it set up to only underclock the cpu) when youre not gona be using youre phone for a while or are gona be using it as a dumbphone during work or whatever is best way to save battery i think.
and get your eyes used to having screen at low brightness

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I do not believe "task killers" on Android 4.0/4.1 are necessary at all, and often do more harm than good. However, there's another type of battery saver app that basically turns off 3G/4G data and other misc settings when the screen is off. They then can turn it on periodically (user adjustable intervals) so emails and other notifications come in, say every 15 min or so. These can definitely save at least some power, though you do lose instant "push" functions while the screen is off. Juice Defender is a popular app of this type.

Now, whether an app like that helps you depends on how many things you've got going in the background set to fetch data periodically, etc. I try to be conservative, so I'm unconvinced they will help me more than a couple % over a whole day.

I don't use them personally, mainly as I don't care for the delay between unlocking the phone and the cellular data reacquisition time. Several seconds sometimes - often to where I can unlock the phone and launch an app (which then fails) before the data connection is reestablished. It all depends on your personal usage pattern.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user, own a US version (ATT) and installed the free version of Juice Defender as well as did a battery calibration procedure. Some days when I'm not doing a lot of browsing or on the phone much I will get OVER 2 days on a single charge though we don't have many LTE towers up here yet. I'm EXTREMELY happy with battery life so far though. Will be interesting to see how different it is in a few months when ATT gets some more LTE towers up.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user, own a US version (ATT) and installed the free version of Juice Defender as well as did a battery calibration procedure. Some days when I'm not doing a lot of browsing or on the phone much I will get OVER 2 days on a single charge though we don't have many LTE towers up here yet. I'm EXTREMELY happy with battery life so far though. Will be interesting to see how different it is in a few months when ATT gets some more LTE towers up.

+1 for battery calibration on the s3 man.. i keep trying to preach it lol.
do u remember name of the battery calibrator that doesnt need root?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Another solution may be to just carry around a spare battery. Personally I just charge my Evo 3D whenever I need to with my spare charger.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
This is my first phone that has shown positive improvement with juice defender. Give it a try.

Also ya I have 2 batteries coming in this week. Figure between 3 I should be set.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This is my first phone that has shown positive improvement with juice defender. Give it a try.

Also ya I have 2 batteries coming in this week. Figure between 3 I should be set.

I've been using Easy Battery Saver for a while and it really seems to have made a difference on my SGS2. I may try uninstalling it to see if I notice the difference.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

OneForth

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I tired juice defender before didn't notice a.big difference but ill give her another go.

~OneForth

Sent from my LG Phoenix P505 using Tapatalk

pinatiger

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Honestly the stock app manager is fine. Just keep apps closed. Short screen tineouts and BRIGHTNESS is the biggest battery killer. I keep mine at 25%. Great battery life

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i kinda think phones would have this software pre-installed if it worked without making a compromise.
do as Pina says or flash a kernal with adjustable cpu speeds

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

I would think so. :p but for work and school I bring my spare charger. Just in case.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I would think so. :p but for work and school I bring my spare charger. Just in case.

Same, although I never need it! I am just paranoid.

Here are the batteries I ordered, should be here by this weekend.
Amazon.com: Anker? 2 x 2200mAh Li-ion Batteries for Galaxy SIII GT-I9300, T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung T999, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung I747, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung I535, U.S. Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3 R530,Sprint Samsung Galaxy

They got really good reviews. Pretty darn good price too.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Same, although I never need it! I am just paranoid.

Here are the batteries I ordered, should be here by this weekend.
Amazon.com: Anker? 2 x 2200mAh Li-ion Batteries for Galaxy SIII GT-I9300, T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung T999, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung I747, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung I535, U.S. Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3 R530,Sprint Samsung Galaxy

They got really good reviews. Pretty darn good price too.

I wouldn't call myself paranoid but I hate when my battery goes below 60%. I don't know why, it just bugs me lol and I get an urge to charge it back to full. XD

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Honestly the stock app manager is fine. Just keep apps closed. Short screen tineouts and BRIGHTNESS is the biggest battery killer. I keep mine at 25%. Great battery life

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Okay well I uninstalled my easy battery Saver app and run my phone today without it and have noticed a significant difference in the battery. Especially when I am off wifi and using data. The battery drained by 10 percent within an hour and I was barely using it. Will try it for another day and see if it was a fluke.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

donny2901

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have a question about Battery dr.
It modify in any way the charging process when I plug in my phone and I have the app installed compared to when i don't have battery dr. installed on my N4?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick