Battery won't fully charge on 4.2.

yugopalmguy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I am thoroughly confused at this point. I am currently running Shiney ROM, but I have experienced the same issue on PA, XenonXD, AOKP, CM10 and a couple others. Every time I have uploaded a new ROM it has been a complete wipe with factory reset. Completely clean, no dirty flashing whatsoever.

The issue is the batteries not fully charging. I have two Samsung batteries, one original and one 2100mah extended, that I have had the same problem with. They will charge to about 77% then it stops charging... It will never fully charge. I usually leave my phone charging overnight which would normally easily fully charge it, but sometimes now, when i wake up and unplug it, it will sometimes only be at about 36%! I thought that the batteries may just be getting old so I purchased a brand new extended 2100mah battery and have the same problem.

This all tells me that it must be JB 4.2. Is anyone else having this same issue? I know a lot of people are having battery drain, which I am also experiencing, but I haven't read about anyone having my issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've used CM 10.1, project elite and stock for 4.2.2 ROMS, never seen this at all. My battery life today is actually the best it's every been over the last year and a half or so I've had this. I was kinda thinking that 4.2.2 corrected some battery issues from 4.2.1.

yugopalmguy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, I went ahead and returned my Nexus back to stock image and locked and unrooted using Wug's Toolkit. Seems to have fixed my battery problem. I went back to stock thinking that I may need to get the phone replaced under warranty, but it looks like all is good. Now I just need to unlock and reroot and try again.

yugopalmguy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Well... My problem has returned. I am still running unrooted and locked 4.2.2 stock image. The problem was solved for a week or 2, but now the charging problem is back. Batteries charge to about 65-70% and then just stops charging.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Does this only happen when charging over night? Overnight is a very long time, 6 to 10 hours. Depending on how early you plug it in and your actual sleep schedule. I charge mine alot at work. It can fully charge in about an hour.

Is it possible that your phone is charging fully within an hour and failing to switch back into charge mode 'til it's unplugged and plugged back in? The battery discharging for the next 8 to 10 hours. I know my battery has always discharged the most over night. The apps all polling and, for whatever reason, the cell signal transiently dropping off through out the night.
So does it only charge to 30-40% during the day too?

keith73

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I started seeing a problem a few months ago after first upgrading to jellybean 4.1. Battery would only charge to about 95%. When I first got the phone with ICS, it held a charge most of the day, didn't have to charge it at work. After that update, I found myself always looking to charge it. Since the 4.2 update, it only charges to about 85% and loses its charge much faster than usual and takes much longer to charge over usb than it used to. I came across this article a few days ago, and sounds like people have had success doing a reset after the upgrade.
Android 4.2 Issues Frustrating Verizon Galaxy Nexus Users

I'm going to try a factory reset, but I'm curious about something first. Does doing that reset the OS too or just wipe all the data?
I'm not concerned about data on the phone because all my contacts come from my google account anyway and I can reinstall apps. I just want to make sure the OS doesn't downgrade in the process.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I started seeing a problem a few months ago after first upgrading to jellybean 4.1. Battery would only charge to about 95%. When I first got the phone with ICS, it held a charge most of the day, didn't have to charge it at work. After that update, I found myself always looking to charge it. Since the 4.2 update, it only charges to about 85% and loses its charge much faster than usual and takes much longer to charge over usb than it used to. I came across this article a few days ago, and sounds like people have had success doing a reset after the upgrade.
Android 4.2 Issues Frustrating Verizon Galaxy Nexus Users

I'm going to try a factory reset, but I'm curious about something first. Does doing that reset the OS too or just wipe all the data?
I'm not concerned about data on the phone because all my contacts come from my google account anyway and I can reinstall apps. I just want to make sure the OS doesn't downgrade in the process.

A factory reset restores everything to "out of the box". This should put you on whatever version of Android your device came with (4.0 or 4.1, depending on when you received it).

keith73

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
A factory reset restores everything to "out of the box". This should put you on whatever version of Android your device came with (4.0 or 4.1, depending on when you received it).

Perhaps I'm getting confused then. I'm seeing posts on other forums about doing an FDR after upgrades and it sounds like a Factory Data Reset doesn't reset the OS otherwise what would be the point of doing one after upgrading the OS.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps I'm getting confused then. I'm seeing posts on other forums about doing an FDR after upgrades and it sounds like a Factory Data Reset doesn't reset the OS otherwise what would be the point of doing one after upgrading the OS.

Multiple types of reset... one is wiping user data, the other is wiping everything and restoring it to out of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid