Battle Royale! Galaxy S4 vs HTC One vs iPhone 5c vs all others!

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok so we have discussed the plastic theory wrong. What about the screen size theory and it's surface area in correlation to how easy ones screen would break the bigger it is? Fighting match would still come down to the iPhone 5s and HTC One.

Correct except if you really did the calculations you'd find that the Iphone 5, HTC One, and Samsung S4 all weigh more than enough to provide enough kinetic energy to shatter each individual phone's screen many times over if dropped right on the screen.
In an exaggerated example: What paper combination would last longer in a bend test using 5 lbs of force.
Regular printer paper, or 2 sheets of printer paper. The answer is clear: 2 sheets. But in actual testing the difference is irrelevant both get flattened.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Allow me to play the devil's advocate (after all, I'm a GS4 owner in an HTC One thread). Try not to flame and hear me out first. Both the HTC One and the GS4 are great devices, definitely at the top of the Android game. However, consider this: first off, the "cheap plastic" argument - as opposed to "expensive aluminum"? The plastic battery cover on the GS4 is easily replaceable if it becomes damaged. Not so much with the HTC One. Moreover, if both phones are dropped, the aluminum is a lot more likely to get dented - good luck getting that dent out.

Now that we have the building materials out of the way, both phones have the same exact internal components, excluding the cameras and display technology. When I was shopping for a new phone, it was between the Google editions of these two devices. In the end, my preference leaned towards the GS4. However, one is really not better than the other. It all comes down to personal preference.

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Allow me to play the devil's advocate (after all, I'm a GS4 owner in an HTC One thread). Try not to flame and hear me out first. Both the HTC One and the GS4 are great devices, definitely at the top of the Android game. However, consider this: first off, the "cheap plastic" argument - as opposed to "expensive aluminum"? The plastic battery cover on the GS4 is easily replaceable if it becomes damaged. Not so much with the HTC One. Moreover, if both phones are dropped, the aluminum is a lot more likely to get dented - good luck getting that dent out.

Now that we have the building materials out of the way, both phones have the same exact internal components, excluding the cameras and display technology. When I was shopping for a new phone, it was between the Google editions of these two devices. In the end, my preference leaned towards the GS4. However, one is really not better than the other. It all comes down to personal preference.

I'll agree with most of what you say. The drop tests I've seen haven't resulted in dents, HTC claims their alloy is pretty tough. As far the "cheap" plastic comments, for me that comes down to feel. Plastic feels "cheaper" while metal feels like higher quality, more substantial. IMO. Like you, I was torn between the One and the GS4. for me, it came down to reviews. The reviews I read comparing the two concluded that the One had a better camera and it benchmarked faster than the GS4 despite the Galaxy having a higher clock speed. Most of the reviews I read also preferred the One's display over the Galaxy. I think it would be tough to consider either of these a bad decision.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
The reviews I read comparing the two concluded that the One had a better camera and it benchmarked faster than the GS4 despite the Galaxy having a higher clock speed.

None of the reviews I read said the One had a better camera. In fact they said the One's camera was pretty poor or was "just enough". The S4 definitely blows the HTC One's camera out of the water.
The S4 benchmarked higher if you look at stock benchmarks not the "Google edition".

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
None of the reviews I read said the One had a better camera. In fact they said the One's camera was pretty poor or was "just enough". The S4 definitely blows the HTC One's camera out of the water.
The S4 benchmarked higher if you look at stock benchmarks not the "Google edition".

We obviously read different reviews. The camera review I relied on was on a photo-centric site, it gave the One's camera the edge due to low light performance and optical IS. The benchmarks I saw were both bone stock versions, and the One scoring better was credited to the number of extra features running on the S4.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
We obviously read different reviews. The camera review I relied on was on a photo-centric site, it gave the One's camera the edge due to low light performance and optical IS. The benchmarks I saw were both bone stock versions, and the One scoring better was credited to the number of extra features running on the S4.

Would you mind linking me. I am interested in photographic-oriented reviews on smartphones.

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Here's the comparison I was thinking of: AnandTech | The HTC One Review

Here are some other good ones:
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One Camera Comparison | TechnoBuffalo

Introduction: Do HTC One ultrapixels deliver? Our full camera review: Connect

To be clear, I wouldn't use the HTC camera to take pictures that I intend to blow up and frame, but then I wouldn't use any phone for that. If I want really good pictures I can blow up and use, I'll take them with my Canon. A good lens beats more megapixels any day.

If I'm taking pictures with my phone, I'm planning to share them via social media where they will be viewed via a web browser or phone app. For those pictures, having better low light performance and image stabilization over higher resolution wins out for me. Obviously, your intended uses may differ.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
The drop tests I've seen haven't resulted in dents, HTC claims their alloy is pretty tough.

[Q] Does anybody know how to remove dents on the HTC One? - xda-developers

It may be tough, but their claims sound similar to Samsung's Gorilla Glass 2 claims when the GS3 came out. Gorilla Glass 2 (which the HTC One is equipped with as well) seems to scratch and break rather easily, but Samsung refused to honor warranty claims resulting from spontaneous damage, claiming user error. The GS4 is equipped with the improved Gorilla Glass 3, but it's still not impact resistant.

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
[Q] Does anybody know how to remove dents on the HTC One? - xda-developers

It may be tough, but their claims sound similar to Samsung's Gorilla Glass 2 claims when the GS3 came out. Gorilla Glass 2 (which the HTC One is equipped with as well) seems to scratch and break rather easily, but Samsung refused to honor warranty claims resulting from spontaneous damage, claiming user error. The GS4 is equipped with the improved Gorilla Glass 3, but it's still not impact resistant.

I didn't mean to imply that it can't be dented. I said that in the drop tests I've seen, it didn't get dented. It's aluminum, obviously it can be dented. Gorilla glass can break, metal can dent.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Here's the comparison I was thinking of: AnandTech | The HTC One Review

Here are some other good ones:
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One Camera Comparison | TechnoBuffalo

Introduction: Do HTC One ultrapixels deliver? Our full camera review: Connect

To be clear, I wouldn't use the HTC camera to take pictures that I intend to blow up and frame, but then I wouldn't use any phone for that. If I want really good pictures I can blow up and use, I'll take them with my Canon. A good lens beats more megapixels any day.

If I'm taking pictures with my phone, I'm planning to share them via social media where they will be viewed via a web browser or phone app. For those pictures, having better low light performance and image stabilization over higher resolution wins out for me. Obviously, your intended uses may differ.

Thanks for the links.
Very strange shots on the TechnoBuffalo most were out of focus, doesn't surprise me though as he's intentionally sabotaged shots in the past.
Anand didn't show comparisons to the S4 but to older phones, I believe he was trying to see how'd it would stack up to other low light phones however which is a good comparison.

Anyways I do a bit of photography and carrying around my cannon is no go. Unless it's a special event.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
the Nokia Lumia 925 would only have to come in looking sexy and bring the rest to their knees! :D

If Nokia didn't put all their eggs into the WP basket and released a high-end Android phone, they'd definitely bring the rest to their knees.

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
If Nokia didn't put all their eggs into the WP basket and released a high-end Android phone, they'd definitely bring the rest to their knees.

Unlikely to happen since Microsoft is buying Nokia's device manufacturing division.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The HTC One would be cowering in the corner too afraid to be touched because it was worried about breaking a nail. The S4 would fall off the ropes because it was trying too hard to look cool in front of everyone and doing "no hands" tricks. The iPhone 5s wouldn't be able to get past security because they'd be convinced it was only the iPhone 5 lying about being on the guest list.

The Nexus would lose it's invitation or not be able to make it in time. I could possibly see the Moto X winning for no other reason than these other phones get in their own way.

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
HTC One being hard to knock out with it's slick "Sense" UI.

Galaxy S4 falling from the ropes when showing off it's "no hands" tricks. Ha ha! These are great, keep them coming!

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X would easily get "turned on" by the other phones talking to it. The newer Casio Commando would probably take a beating without having any "power" to throw punches back. I've heard the power button on the LG G2 falls off pretty easy, that would be it's weak spot. Without the help of Google maps, the iPhone would get lost or distracted inside the ring. The Galaxy Note 2 would be "Wiz'n by and Touching" everything without dealing any damage. I still think the HTC One has the upper hand here.

Then enters the Nokia 3310...

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
HTC One being hard to knock out with it's slick "Sense" UI.

Galaxy S4 falling from the ropes when showing off it's "no hands" tricks. Ha ha! These are great, keep them coming!

HTC One would get knocked down due to it's outdated Android version. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332