Been out of the game for a while

Manbartz

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey what's up,

I apologize if this is not the correct forum...

Been using this archaic GS3 for some years now, so I am a little clueless on the heavy hitting phones that are on the market. Girlfriend wants to get me a new phone for christmas, just wondering if I should wait for the next best thing or are the phones out now worth purchasing?

I want my next phone to be future proof. I am not into phablets, but if the Nexus 6 is the best thing out there, I might try it.

I also like the LG G3, but it has been out for months now which has me worried that newer phones will crush it.

Any recommendations? Should I wait for the GS6? Should I buy something now? Help!

Thanks ;)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
just wondering if I should wait for the next best thing or are the phones out now worth purchasing?
There's always going to be something better coming out, so if you wait for the best phone, your great-great-grandchildren will have died of old age before you get one. But there are many phones out there now that are worth purchasing.

I want my next phone to be future proof.
2-3-year-proof, yes. 5-year-proof, no. My 10 year old Motorola V551 was the best phone on the market when it came out - there was nothing you could add to a cellphone to make it any better. Now I throw it into my pocket if I might lose or damage a phone - it would cost about $20 to replace.

I am not into phablets, but if the Nexus 6 is the best thing out there, I might try it.
My only problem with that phone is the non-removable battery. If the phone gets wet, by the time you break the back off and unplug the battery, the phone's probably not salvageable. And if the battery ever decides to go into rapid overheat mode (less than rare these days, but ask Sony what the law suits cost them), you can't just drop the battery out and watch it burn (from a distance - lithium is toxic), you watch the phone melt.

I also like the LG G3, but it has been out for months now which has me worried that newer phones will crush it.
No matter which phone you get, newer phones will crush it eventually. Todays "best phone ever" is tomorrow's "5 for $20 on Craig's List". Even with a Nexus 6, when modular phones come out (the project is in progress), the phone will be so yesterday. Need more storage? Unplug the 64GB storage module and plug in a 256GB module. Want a faster CPU? Plug in a faster CPU module. Today's phones will look like stone axes.

Any recommendations? Should I wait for the GS6? Should I buy something now? Help!
Make a list of must haves, would-be-nice-to-haves and wouldn't-haves. Check your carrier - another carrier may give you better coverage, so you don't have to keep putting up with that dead spot that's been annoying you for years. Decide on a price range. (Nexus phones are almost always cheaper than another phone with the same features - but, again, I won't own a phone with a non-replaceable battery - that's one of my wouldn't-haves. Google changes manufacturers - the N7 may be Samsung again, and it'll have a replaceable battery if it is.)

Then choose.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you're going to buy a G3 for example and have the G4 crush it. It'll be marginally better, but phones have hit a plateau of sorts and until the next big idea (implants IMO) you'll won't be blown away. I have a GS3 currently too, it's still fine, I'm tired of it but the new phones do basically the same thing (internet, email, text, photo, phone, navigate, + assorted apps) just a little better/faster/schnazzier etc. I'm probably going to hold for the G4 hoping it has front firing speakers then jump in. It's only 6 months away, and the S6 might be interesting but I'm ready to move out of Samsung.

So you should be fine for a while with your GS3 although you're sort of done with it like me...it still does the job for the most part. I'm probably gonna hold out for a bit.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Its not the latest but I bought a nexus 5 for $350 off contract 3 months ago. Its a great device and lollipop is awesome.

Posted via the Android Central App

Justin Stepp

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like your not all about having the latest and greatest all the time and are ok holding onto a phone for a couple years. (Not this guy). If I was you I would wait till next year and buy a 64 bit cpu phone. And if they don't come out next year buy a phone within a week it comes out to get the best life out of it.

Posted via the Android Central App

IamMasterChat

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
There's always going to be something better coming out, so if you wait for the best phone, your great-great-grandchildren will have died of old age before you get one. But there are many phones out there now that are worth purchasing.

2-3-year-proof, yes. 5-year-proof, no. My 10 year old Motorola V551 was the best phone on the market when it came out - there was nothing you could add to a cellphone to make it any better. Now I throw it into my pocket if I might lose or damage a phone - it would cost about $20 to replace.

My only problem with that phone is the non-removable battery. If the phone gets wet, by the time you break the back off and unplug the battery, the phone's probably not salvageable. And if the battery ever decides to go into rapid overheat mode (less than rare these days, but ask Sony what the law suits cost them), you can't just drop the battery out and watch it burn (from a distance - lithium is toxic), you watch the phone melt.

No matter which phone you get, newer phones will crush it eventually. Todays "best phone ever" is tomorrow's "5 for $20 on Craig's List". Even with a Nexus 6, when modular phones come out (the project is in progress), the phone will be so yesterday. Need more storage? Unplug the 64GB storage module and plug in a 256GB module. Want a faster CPU? Plug in a faster CPU module. Today's phones will look like stone axes.

Make a list of must haves, would-be-nice-to-haves and wouldn't-haves. Check your carrier - another carrier may give you better coverage, so you don't have to keep putting up with that dead spot that's been annoying you for years. Decide on a price range. (Nexus phones are almost always cheaper than another phone with the same features - but, again, I won't own a phone with a non-replaceable battery - that's one of my wouldn't-haves. Google changes manufacturers - the N7 may be Samsung again, and it'll have a replaceable battery if it is.)

Then choose.

This guy surely knows what he is saying...

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You have a GS3, yet you want a new phone that's future proof? Unless your GS3 is rooted, it's probably not being supported by Lollipop. Getting a Nexus 6 may future proof it for software,, but like others have stated, there will always be something better around the corner. Personally, I think my Note 4 should be fine for 2-3 years. Am I going to keep it that long? No way. The updates will always shorten the usefulness of a phone. The hardware should be fine for the foreseeable future. And remember, the new phones coming out will always tempt you with better cameras, better battery life, faster speeds, blah blah blah.
If you are tired of your phone, just get a new one. Don't worry now about 2 years down the road.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Lol, a flagship from 2014 isn't getting "crushed" by anything released in the next year or two, maybe longer. Yeah, 64 bit is coming, bfd.

Honestly, if my G3 died tomorrow, I'd be fine saving some cash and getting a 2013 model off CL or eBay.

I used to be "need the latest & greatest" guy. If I still was, I'd have the N6 & Note 4 right now. I'm over it. At the end of the day, they're all the same crap - a damn phone.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
66cinelli