Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
If they asked him to jump off a cliff, would he be under some sort of "obligation" to do it?

THEIR mistake. THEIR problem.

First, I'd ask them what kind of deal they would offer me.

THEN (and only then) if I LIKED the deal, I'd ask them what time they were planning on swinging buy to pick it up.

But there is precisely ZERO obligation of any kind to take it back to them. None.

The OP tried that and they shot him down cold, over a period of he says two hours.

bwhorley50 is talking about a MORAL obligation, not a legal one since almost everyone here agrees that LEGALLY the device is his.

zenit#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Both stories had to do with "unreleased" devices on the network with non final firmware.

when activating a device on a network can cause a nationwide outage, it speaks volumes about poor design/engineering of the whole network. That is just something that should never ever happen.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
The test devices will have the new software by now, negating the problem.

That's correct but that doesn't indicate the update being a successful one. There has never been a clear indication that 4.0.2 brought about a satisfying result. All that was ever indicated was that the radio was recoded and some w/ the device in hand indicated that the LTE signal was improved. That doesn't mean they were finished w/ it. From what I've read, few testers actually had a clue what was included in the update.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
when activating a device on a network can cause a nationwide outage, it speaks volumes about poor design/engineering of the whole network. That is just something that should never ever happen.

I never said that it did cause it only that some sources said it was a factor it it.

And respectfully, unless you are a network engineer you are not qualified to express an informed opinion. AT&T's network has been brought to it's knees by iPhone launches more than once, to the degree that they put an inferior radio into it and then artificially inflated the number of "bars" of signal it had and forced Apple to make FaceTime WiFi only (works just fine on 3G on VZW).

Reactions: techno_techie

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
That's correct but that doesn't indicate the update being a successful one. There has never been a clear indication that 4.0.2 brought about a satisfying result. All that was ever indicated was that the radio was recoded and some w/ the device in hand indicated that the LTE signal was improved. That doesn't mean they were finished w/ it. From what I've read, few testers actually had a clue what was included in the update.

Yes but retail devices are still in the OLD firmware, no fixes at all.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I never said that it did cause it only that some sources said it was a factor it it.

And respectfully, unless you are a network engineer you are not qualified to express an informed opinion. AT&T's network has been brought to it's knees by iPhone launches more than once, to the degree that they put an inferior radio into it and then artificially inflated the number of "bars" of signal it had and forced Apple to make FaceTime WiFi only (works just fine on 3G on VZW).

You try building a network that can withstand several hundred thousand activations in a 48 hour period and stay rock solid. That, and the entire last part of your post is a flat out fabrication. (or LIE if you will)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

P3, for what hes worth, said radio performance was dramatically improved on 4.0.2 and 4.1. Those were the only changes in those revisions.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You try building a network that can withstand several hundred thousand activations in a 48 hour period and stay rock solid. That, and the entire last part of your post is a flat out fabrication. (or LIE if you will)

What part if it is wrong? The iPhone does not do FaceTime over 3G on AT&T but does on Verizon so it is clearly not a hardware issue. Also the iPhone is well known to have one of the worse cellular radios on the industry. Fanboys might not want to believe it but it's true. Up until about a year ago the iPhone would artificially inflate the bars of signal by as much as 2 full bars compared to other AT&T devices with the same dBm (the true measure of signal strength) , when it was "discovered" but one of the major tick blogs last year (Gizmodo or Engaget I forget which). It had apparently been that way going at least as far back as the iPhone 3G.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

You do realize that as far as carrier networks go, LTE is still in it's infancy. You should be grateful you have access to it, no one else does stateside. None of the others have implimented even 1% of Big Reds LTE coverage. There's always minor setbacks w/ breaking texhnology, so cut them some slack. Rome wasn't built in a day. Why not take your wisdom on what makes it crappy to the engineers, they'd appreciate your technical know how on remedy network instabilities.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
P3, for what hes worth, said radio performance was dramatically improved on 4.0.2 and 4.1. Those were the only changes in those revisions.

I believe he said the recoded radio was the only component he was aware in 4.0.2. That doesn't mean that was only component involved, nor does it indicate the issue was resolved by it. He just said the LTE was improved by it. Obviously, it is an unfinished project at the moment. On thing to note is that P3 recieved the OTA several days after it pushed out to most tester units.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Do not return it. Even if you don't want it! Put it on eBay or CL for $1000 and be rid of it if you have any doubts about the screen issue! Then you can buy it or whatever else comes along at full fare and still make $300 or so out of your headache/troubles!

Kath

I would call Verizon support and tell them that your Galaxy Nexus has a problem and can they send you a warranty replacement.

I would love to know what they would say...

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think you've got to give it back. You went there hoping to basically trick someone into selling you a phone you knew hadn't been released yet.

You were wrong from the beginning, time to make it right.

BoNg420

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Dont return it!

Best Buy is a horrible, horrible store.

They have horrible customer service.

They hire stupid people who don't know crap about what they sell.

They treat you like a criminal when you want to return something.

Do NOT COMPLY!

SCREW BEST BUY.

I never shop there anyway, but the fact you pulled a fast one over on them is ok and acceptable. Only take bribes to return. Make them pay for their mistakes.

Boycott Best Buy. They deserve to go out of business and they will never ever get a cent out of me unless I am scamming them some how.

Reactions: bulvine420

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site
AT&T's network has been brought to it's knees by iPhone launches more than once.

Because during those launches they were trying to activate nearly a million phones simultaneously across the country. Verizons iPhone launch was comparatively meager, and although I do believe they have a better infrastructure, had they had the same launch volume AT&T did, I'm sure there would have been issues there as well.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
If you really want to screw with them, when he calls back tomorrow tell him that Verizon has contacted you and they would like you to meet with their Regional District Manager. See if this motivates them to compensate you for the return of the phone.

Or you can ask to meet with the Assistant to the Regional Manager.....Dwight Schrute.

Reactions: guinnkevinr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowoverhoe