Best car dock for Note 3?

hawkeye680

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: best car dock for note 3?

i wonder about that one, and the imagnet too. is the magnet strong enough to hold a big phone like the N3 in a case? all the photos show iphones with slim cases on them.

Go ahead and buy one so you can be the first one to review, LOL.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

shoefreak03

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Just in case someone is in need, They have the iOttie XL for $14.50 + Free Shipping from Meritline. I just ordered one yesterday.

Use Code: MLCKH22DNL1
Code is supposed to be only good for first 650 orders

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I agree. The latest iBolt version suitable for the Note 3 holds tighter than a junkyard dog to a bone.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Uh.. oh boy... whats this ibolt business? A dock that has its own app?
Sux2bu where does the samsung dock mount? Dash?
I mount mine on the windshield. It comes with a sticky pad if you want to mount it in your dash.

I had a really good quality Samsung dock with a sliding USB mount for my Note 1, but they don't do a proper Samsung charging dock for the note 3.
Yeah, the clearing only fits a USB 2.0 cable, but you can use the mount flipped and it still holds the phone just fine.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I use a Mountek. Looking at upgrading to the newer version with the magnet soon.

I wonder if it is possible to use the magnetic Mountek with a wireless charger back. I imagine you'd have to mount the metal plate off center to avoid the charging coil. But then being off center might make the magnet lose it's grip and slip off.

randpost

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Also using the iottie XL for the past 4 phones. Easy to use, quick, great suction cup. Best of all it fits the note 2, note 3, G2, and Nexus 4. Out of 6 or 7 docks, this has been my favorite and longest lasting.

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site

Dakeb, did you notice on the xProDock that you can reverse the position of the ChargingArm from the "default" right side to the left simply by unplugging them in the back and reinserting? Takes you 30 seconds... This way the volume button will be on the top right side and the rubber can stay in place. See attached image. The Music and GPS sound will also go to the car-speakers if you have an aux-in on your head unit, just make sure you go to "Settings-Accessory" to set it up. Hope this helps... Thanks! MP

Attachments

• New Note 3 image.001.jpg
    New Note 3 image.001.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 62

andreo

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm using the iBolt mount. I also have the S-View case on the phone.
I was a bit worried about damaging the case but so far it seems to be fine. I simply fold the case all the way back and put it in the dock.
I've not experienced any damage to the case but I can't say that I've had the phone in the dock for more then a couple of hours at a time.
Plugging the USB 2.0 cord into the USB 3.0 slot can be a bit tricky at times. But on occasion it will just go right in.

My largest concern is damaging the slot on the phone as I try to line everything up with the cable. So if they do release a 3.0 cable I will jump on that pronto.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Dakeb, did you notice on the xProDock that you can reverse the position of the ChargingArm from the "default" right side to the left simply by unplugging them in the back and reinserting? Takes you 30 seconds... This way the volume button will be on the top right side and the rubber can stay in place. See attached image. The Music and GPS sound will also go to the car-speakers if you have an aux-in on your head unit, just make sure you go to "Settings-Accessory" to set it up. Hope this helps... Thanks! MP

Thanks Mikael, I wanted the usb socket on the right so I can see it from my driving position (uk) with the unit central. I have done as you suggested, but without a usb 3 plug it can be tricky to line up the plug especially in the dark.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Fletchand

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Just started "test driving" this case that I got on Amazon. Exogear Exomount2. Only been 2 days so jury is still out. It's a universal mount so that's a plus and because the grip is centered it doesn't hit the power/volume buttons (which was one of my concerns with the iBolt). Concern now is stability when pressing on it etc. I'll report back after a few more days.

Amazon.com: ExoGear ExoMount 2 Universal Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Cradle Holder for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS Samsung Galaxy S3 S2 Epic Touch 4G HTC OneX EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR BIONIC INCREDIBLE 2 CHARGE Google Nexus BlackBerry Torch LG Revolution GPS

UPDATE: Returning the ExoMount. I liked the small profile and the fact that it was universal. I didn't like how hard it was to load the phone. A true two - handed struggle. Note 3 being so large didn't help. Also found it was unstable holding it. Some vibration etc. Next up..trying the iottie xl and samsung docks.

-Fletch

sublimegolf

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

i wonder about that one, and the imagnet too. is the magnet strong enough to hold a big phone like the N3 in a case? all the photos show iphones with slim cases on them.

I've been using Tetrax for years. Strong enough to hold any phone...previously using it with my Note 2. Cleanest and easiest setup. I've tried them all before settling one Tetrax. You definitely should give it a try.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I bought the Mountek with CD slot adapter and so far think its a good fit. I wish it did better in landscape mode, but it'll do for now. Didn't snap any pics with it mounted as I was using the phone's camera in less than perfect lighting to boot!!

2ubyzedy.jpg

2a8y7agy.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Any car mount updates? I'm looking to buy one as soon as possible. So far the one that seems to make the most sense is the iOttie XL (Amazon.com: iOttie One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 3/2 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories), but I'd like to find out what the early adopters have to say after a couple weeks of use (on all mounts).

I'm not a big fan of the suction cups nor the ones that stick to the dashboard via adhesion. I saw one that sticks to the car's A/C vent. The one I have mounts to the CD slot and I find it a little better than the alternatives.

Last edited:

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Any car mount updates? I'm looking to buy one as soon as possible. So far the one that seems to make the most sense is the iOttie XL (Amazon.com: iOttie One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 3/2 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories), but I'd like to find out what the early adopters have to say after a couple weeks of use (on all mounts).

The xProDock looks really nice, I'm sure it's worth the money. That was my 1st choice, but I've decided to try this one first instead:

Amazon.com: ARKON SGN114 Windshield and Dash Mount Samsung Galaxy Note - Non-Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I don't always have the phone in the cradle, so I like to have the USB cable available to charge where every. I often will put the phone in the cup holder for short trips. If the xProDock had an easier way to quickly remove the main charging cable, I'd go with it, but I don't want to have two cables constantly wired up. I hate clutter. Otherwise, it looks like a really nice system and very well thought out. I really appreciate the cable management it does have and the docking functions. I'll go with it if this other one doesn't work out.