Bixby doesn't work with car BT

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
A friend has an S8. His old S6 worked fine with his add-on vehicle BT, but with his S8 he can't make calls. When he presses the BT button in the vehicle Bixby shows up on the screen and won't recognize his call command. Is there a setting he's missing? Can Bixby be completely disabled?

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
How are you finding Bixby when it does work? Aside from a few phone controls, why is it any better than "OK Google" ?

My very brief exposure to it seemed to show that it couldn't make a phone call. Maybe it's set up wrong. OK Google worked fine. I don't see the need for Bixby when OK Google does what is needed anyway. If there is no way to turn off Bixby then Samsung won't be on my list of considerations for my next phone.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps re-phrase the question. I don't understand. I'm sorry.
I apologize. Based on your post, I presume that your friend's car didn't come equipped with BT and he has an after market device. What is the make and model of the after market BT device, and how old is it?

Older BT may or may not be fully compatible with newer devices.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I apologize. Based on your post, I presume that your friend's car didn't come equipped with BT and he has an after market device. What is the make and model of the after market BT device, and how old is it?

Older BT may or may not be fully compatible with newer devices.

lol. No. I apologize. I understand the original question now.
You are right. It is an older BT add-on in his RAV 4. This is partly why I want to disable Bixby to see if it works.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok. I have an add-on BT adapter on my Highlander. It's a relatively new adapter (BT 4). It can be hit or miss with Bixby though.

The problem is I don't use Hey Bixby, OK Google, or Hey Cortana enough to really judge if it is Bixby or the BT adapter. I use it mostly for listening to music and making phone calls. Both of which it's pretty good at.

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
AFAIK, Bixby doesn't work yet for headset or Bluetooth headset it only listen using phones microphone. But Samsung would eventually give ghat capability. Forgot though where I've read that.