Black screen on clockworkmod bootup

Arkaneus

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I am a total noob and I am not afraid to announce this fact. I decided to root my LG VM670 and install a ROM on my phone. I used Gingerbreak to root the phone, I used ROM Manager (RM) to install clockworkmod as my recovery image, used Titanium Backup (TB) to backup all my apps and settings, and used RM to install the BACKside-IHO-VM670-09192011.zip ROM. I made sure that I have my old stock image backed up just to be safe.

Everything installed fine and the ROM booted fine, but I can't get to the clockworkmod bootup screen.:confused: I want to do this so that I can install the gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip (Google Apps). I eventually figured out how to get RM and TB installed again using their .apk files and the built in file manager, but I really want (and need) my Google Apps back.

Can anyone help me with this? I intentionally used methods not requiring command line, because I did not want to have any accidents or misreads. I could restore to the old stock image, but where's the fun in that.

I appreciate in advance any help that anyone provides.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I am a total noob and I am not afraid to announce this fact. I decided to root my LG VM670 and install a ROM on my phone. I used Gingerbreak to root the phone, I used ROM Manager (RM) to install clockworkmod as my recovery image, used Titanium Backup (TB) to backup all my apps and settings, and used RM to install the BACKside-IHO-VM670-09192011.zip ROM. I made sure that I have my old stock image backed up just to be safe.

Everything installed fine and the ROM booted fine, but I can't get to the clockworkmod bootup screen.:confused: I want to do this so that I can install the gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip (Google Apps). I eventually figured out how to get RM and TB installed again using their .apk files and the built in file manager, but I really want (and need) my Google Apps back.

Can anyone help me with this? I intentionally used methods not requiring command line, because I did not want to have any accidents or misreads. I could restore to the old stock image, but where's the fun in that.

I appreciate in advance any help that anyone provides.
You might need to restore the backup and then install the rom via recovery.

Also hold the power button down like your going to turn it off. There should be a menu that will let you boot into recovery mode.

The other option is the three finger mode of holding home+voldwn+power until you see the silver lg logo flash on and off.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
As Eollie mentioned it would be best to install the ROM and gapps from the recovery as ROM Manager will only wipe 2things instead of 3,and doesn't format the 4 that need to be formatted. The residual data from not wiping thoroughly enough will corrupt the new ROM.
This is very simple and easy to do.

If you used the Gingerbreak.apk did you install Busybox(download a Busybox installer from the market)?
Did you install the proper flash_image?
I'm assuming you did,but don't know for sure.

Here is everything you will need to get a proper install of a IHO-CM7 ROM:
1. You will actually need two recovery's. Xionia_cwma_12518.4,which is good to have on the sd card because it has an option in the advanced section that will fix a recovery loop, which can be found here http://www.mediafire.com/?fbaoutnaw717pnb . And what ever CWMod recovery you decide to flash to the phone. With the new IHO-CM7 gingerbread ROM's the recomemeded recovery is the asopCWMod version which can be found here http://www.mediafire.com/download/w7i63039n8a7zb2/aospCWMod-VM670-20110531.img
2. The flash_image can be found here http://www.mediafire.com/?bx14hzq5i2pq3ps
3. The IHO-CM7 ROM of your choice. I like the BACKside ROM which can be found here http://www.mediafire.com/?k9f3upodohiwiwo . This will also require the gapps(google apps) which can be found here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version/Google_Apps Make sure you use 20110613 signed.zip. These can also be found at the Devs site here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...wip-backside-rom-cm7-green-machine-theme.html .
4. Make sure you unzip the recovery and the flash image when you put it on the Root of the sd card(put them somewhere near the bottom of the list of file folders on the sd card). The ROM and Gapps need to stay zipped and be put on the root of sd card as well.
5. using a file manager like ES file explorer rename the CWMod recovery image to recovery.img
6. Open the terminal emulator and type in:

su(return)
mount(SP)-o(SP)remount,rw(SP)-t(SP)yaffs2(SP)/system(SP)/system(return)
cat(SP)/sdcard/flash_image(SP)>(SP)/system/bin/flash_image(return)
chmod(SP)755(SP)/system/bin/flash_image(return)
flash_image(SP)recovery(SP)/sdcard/recovery.img(return)
reboot(SP)recovery(return)

(SP)=This is were a space should be,do not actually type in (SP)
(return)=do not type this. Just hit the enter key(the one on the bottom right)

6. You should now be in your recovery. To scroll use the up/down volume keys. To select use the camera key. This first thing(and most important) you need to do is go to the backup and restore section and select backup(this will make a backup of your current system in case you make a mistake with the ROM install).

7. Now you need to do all these things(this must be done when installing a new ROM or restoring a backup).
1.wipe cache partition.
2.wipe dalvik cache(advanced section)
3.wipe data/factory reset.Now that your rooted YOU MUST NEVER USE THE FACTORY RESET IN THE PRIVACY MENU ON THE PHONE
4.format boot,system,data,and cache
5.go to install zip from sd card
6.go to select zip from sd card,chose the ROM first. It will go thru the install procedure. When done go back to step 6. and select the gapps.
When all this is done select reboot system now.

It will take 5-10min. for the initial reboot. You will be asked to sign in,skip this.

Now you can go to the market app and click on it and sign in to your google account(you must have your e-mail address and log in code).Reboot the phone twice then set up your apps. Once you get everything set up just the way you like it and all your apps are just where you want them,go back into your recovery and make a backup of that ROM. You can now delete the first backup if you need to (you might keep it if you ever need to revert back to stock to sell the phone).

If you want to install a theme all you have to do is go into the recovery and wipe cache partition and dalvik cache,then do the same thing you did to install the ROM(theme must remain zipped)
When you need to install an update to an installed ROM,all you have to do is wipe cache,and dalvik.

To change the boot animation (must remain zipped) go to /system/media(make sure that you have changed permission of the system from r/o to r/w) and delete the boot animation found there. Then copy the boot animation you have on the sd card and paste it where the old animation used to be(on next reboot it will be there)

Last edited:

ShadyBusiness

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
You might have the new OpV with the different screen(like me)

I know how to use a command line but I like avoiding it because its not one of my strengths. This was my work around.

I downloaded android screencast and the OpV's proper drivers. Booted into recovery, plugged in my phone and now I could use android screencast to see my phones screen whiles using my phone to navigate and installed a recovery thats compatible with the new screen(Iho recovery zip from here http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...black-screen-custom-recovery-custom-roms.html) Then you can boot into recovery and install gapps.

Arkaneus

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe that Shady is onto something here, as what I read from his links are exactly what is going on with my phone. All of you guys are wonderful and honestly, I was not expecting this much help and attention this quickly. I was going to check this in a couple of weeks and see if I got any leads. I will use all the information and post back anything I find. Thanks a lot guys!!!

Arkaneus

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Installing a new recovery.img with the proper drivers installed like Shady suggested did the trick. I also found out that I was lucky in the rom that I chose. The link https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/Binary explains that any ROMs earlier than September 1, 2011 can run into this problem. I just happened to pick the Backside ROM. I knew it was compatible with the LG VM670, but I am really surprised at how lucky I got on this as it had a release date of September 19th. Anyways, many thanks and kudos to each of you for helping me with your very quick responses. I can't thank you guys enough.

ShadyBusiness

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Installing a new recovery.img with the proper drivers installed like Shady suggested did the trick. I also found out that I was lucky in the rom that I chose. The link https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/Binary explains that any ROMs earlier than September 1, 2011 can run into this problem. I just happened to pick the Backside ROM. I knew it was compatible with the LG VM670, but I am really surprised at how lucky I got on this as it had a release date of September 19th. Anyways, many thanks and kudos to each of you for helping me with your very quick responses. I can't thank you guys enough.

Glad it worked man. Enjoy your Gingerbreadness.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Glad it worked man. Enjoy your Gingerbreadness.
That was a good call on the Black Screen. Somehow didn't see that in the OP post,thought it was just from not wiping and formatting all that is required with the new IHO CM-7(which ROM Manager can't do just yet)

To the OP glade to see that ShadyBusiness got you dialed in. That's what I like about the Optimus "V" community. We all are willing to help out,which means plenty of good advice(if one member's advice don't work,another will come along with just what someone needs).

Heptane

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
My new Optimus V was stuck on a black cmr screen after using rom toolbox to flash it incorrectly. I followed all the steps to install the IHO-CM7 ROM, which worked perfectly. Thank you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon