Blackberry To Evo

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Only that EVO will rock ur world. Is does so much more then any blackberry. And u for sure get ur evo rooted it pretty simple. It only has positive effect on the phone.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, after rooting the device is so much nicer. Read up on it though.

If you can get a newer evo with the better camera stuffs, that's even better

ejc1214

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I too came from BBs and I got to warn you that if you get a lot of email, BBs still the best but other than that, you will not put your new "Preciousssss".

I work at Sprint and I am surrounded by EVOs. I am finally going to break down and buy one this weekend. Anything I should know?

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I too came from BBs and I got to warn you that if you get a lot of email, BBs still the best.

Why? I'm a former BB now EVO owner and get tons of Emails in several different accounts. I have had no problem receiving my Emails. In fact, after Microsoft stopped pushing Hotmail Emails instantly to BBs, resulting in Emails taking 15, 20 minutes or more to arrive, my EVO turned out to be so much better.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The snails wont be the issue. It wil be the battery life that the OP will find problematic. Once you have accepted that your battery life is going to be a lot worse then you will be able to move on and enjoy your EVO. Buy an extended battery if needed. The keyboard will also be a challenge. It takes getting used to but you will get used to it so hang in there. Other than that, the EVO will be a complete joy to use. Welcome to Android.

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, after rooting the device is so much nicer. Read up on it though.

If you can get a newer evo with the better camera stuffs, that's even better

Newer camera? Huh explain/details.

I came from a black berry. I have never missed it one day since! No memory leaks. No pulling the battery!

I have switched several people from black berry to the EVO. All say the same thing. They could never go back.

mbeezy

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
There isn't a blackberry that can hold a candle to the evo. It's in another class. But the battery life will annoy you for sure.

Sent from my Evo 4G. using tapatalk

mrpatience

Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I would say messaging and emails. If you rely heavily on your dveice for emails stick with BB android is still a consumer os even though it has come along way in th epast year

lgtsbr

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I went from a BlackBerry Tour to the EVO, best move I have made. I had that BB for 1 year and had to replace parts multiple times, had poor reception and dropped calls, and overall a bad experience. I get better reception on the EVO and have yet to drop any calls in the same coverage area.

Love my EVO!

Dave

lgtsbr

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
How's the adjustment to no more BBM and no indicator light?

Honestly, I never used BBM - tried it once and it was so buggy (IMO) that I never used it again. As far as the light, are you referring to the LED? With Handcent I can have the LED on the EVO flash for incoming messages so there is really no change there. The hardest adjustment for me personally is the touch screen keyboard, I just can't type as quick as I use too.....

Dave

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
E-mail is brought up.
I love the full html e-mails the evo does. Not some stupid plain text e-mail the black berry does. In this media rich day and age, surprises me rim is so far behind.

ZombieCrisis

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Love my evo. Came from three blackberries before getting the evo. One annoyance I have found is the sorting of contacts on the evo cannot be done by company. You can go through and manually create a group and associate any contact you wish to that group but that is a lot of work to do for something Android should do automatically. So if you have Mary Andrews saved and her company is saved under her contact info there is no(zero) way to search by the company saved in her contact. I need this. This is making me really look hard at the blackberries again. Seriously.

Tical

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
My Conversion

I agree with what most are saying, and I personally don't think I could EVER go back to my Tour... but at the same time, I am NOT out shouting from the rooftops for everyone with a BB (especially entrenched users) to convert for a few reasons...

Battery - It's been mentioned, but it's really hard to describe to those that aren't coming from BB's. I could go DAYS with normal use on my BB, not so with the EVO. I've compensated by having charges all over the place, and even keep one in the glovebox in case i'm somewhere out of the norm for an extended period. It helps that everything that I am doing on the EVO just is so much a better experience to make me think it's worth the hassle...

Keyboard - Don't be fooled. There is a difference between a physical keyboard and a touch one, no matter how good it is (and the EVO's can be great with it's size). I think (with Swype) I'm back up to something of the same speed, but it was a tough few weeks for a while. I still don't crank out emails as much, instead waiting until I get to my desk.

Non-Ggmail Email - I use an old hotmail account (don't judge me :eek:) and although the actual push wasn't working when I left my BB, it was superior to the regular 30 min interval pull that I get on my evo, which is necessary to save battery life. I am not that heavy an email user so it doesn't matter much to me, but it's noticeable, probably more-so if you were a heavy user.

BBM - If you used it actively on your BB, there is just nothing like it. It's hard to explain to those that weren't heavily into it, but those that were know what I'm talking about...

Combined Message Box - This was one that I got over pretty quickly, but wouldn't mind having back. It was nice to just have one 'bucket' for everything that I needed to attend to. The notification area does a pretty good job of creating a quasi-one-stop-shop though.

Notification LED - The evo has one, but it's a pale comparison to the sheer visibility and flexibility of the BB's

Random Little Irritants - Every once in a while I do something on my evo and it just sorta smacks me that it's using a relatively young platform. Nothing major, but some things that mar an otherwise perfect experience. Great example... I just got off the phone with a friend, who when they called had their pixelated photo show up on my caller ID, even though I have added a high def one (syncing causes this). In the middle of the call, I ignored another call who turned out to be my brother, but for some reason, it doesn't give me caller/contact info when somebody tries to click in... I called him back, which in addition to the pixelated picture gives his GTALK status from a week ago, which has changed since then, but for some reason not updated... None of these are game changers, but just little things that make you go hmmm as you see them crop up.

Now before I must don the flamesuit to protect me from Android's most zealous defenders, most of these items can/are addressed with 3rd party apps and/or workarounds/patches/prayers. I LOVE my phone and it's system... Heck, the fact I get email looking the way it's supposed to (HTML) is worth it's delay in arrival. I've done things on my rooted EVO that I wouldn't have even dreamed of on my BB. But with that said, there are definitely some things I miss about my old tour... Not enough to go back, just fond memories Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: SiLkk

mogirlnfl

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I thought I would miss my BB but after having the EVO for awhile and occassionally using my husbands BB, I realized I was no longer a fan of the BB! It's too small, slow browser, an actual keyboard with tiny letters, and limited apps. I found some apps on the BB were free on the EVO. Have fun with your new EVO.

MissShayona

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The only real thing I'm worried about is emails. Working for Sprint, we get emails on a daily basis. I had a Droid before so I'm not too uncomfortable with the switch. I will just forward my emails to GMail and if its gets too annoying, switch back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex-1999