Bluetooth Issue on Samsung: autoconnect to car head unit disabled if I turn off Call in settings.

Gregsch1

Mar 21, 2019
Visit site
Hey! I've done a good bit of research on this three-year old issue to no avail. I'd greatly appreciate some help:

I have a Samsung s10+, but have had the issue on a Note 9 as well. I have a Bluetooth headset and a Pioneer head unit in my car (AVH-X5800BHS; not Android Auto compatible I believe?). I want to use my headset for audio and calls, but have my car use only media when both are connected. If I'm using the headset audio in one ear and get in my car, it'll tear the call from my headset onto my car which has horrible call quality. So far I've tried:

Turning off "Call" in Bluetooth settings for my car but leaving the rest enabled. When I have this setup, however, it stops auto connecting to my head unit for some reason? Sometimes it works but it doesn't switch audio from headset to my car until about 30s have passed and it only works about 1/3rd of the time.

I've tried Bluetooth audio manager, but in practice it doesn't work the majority of attempts.

I've just been getting in my car and manually changing back to headset. But it's a pain when I have to tell the other person to hold on for 10 seconds each time I get in the car while I adjust the settings.