Brand new Android/Galaxy S5 customer here - have a newbie question about SDcards

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Background:

My first and only Smartphone, thus far, has been the iPhone 4S 64GB. It's been a solid phone. But it's closing on on 3-years-old now and I want bigger and faster.

So, next month, I've decided I want a WAY bigger screen (3.5" -> 5"), a better camera (8MP to 16MP) and a faster phone overall (more RAM, Quad-Core CPU, etc...).

My BIGGEST question, by far, is the SDcard usability.

1. Can I tell my S5 to save all pictures/movies taken DIRECTLY to the SDcard? Or do I have to save it to the internal memory first and then transfer it after the fact?

2. Can I run APPS right off the SDcard? I've heard rumor on older Galaxy devices/Android version that due to SDcard speed, most, if not all apps, won't run off SDcards. Is this true? Will it be true for the S5 on Kit Kat? I know the 16GB version only has like 10GB of free space, and I am a big APP fan, so I want to know EXACTLY what my limitations will be so far as that goes. I realyl don't feel like swapping apps back and forth between the internal memory and the SDcard if I don't have to.

3. How reliable/durable are SDcards? Most of the memory cards I've dealt with over the years tend to be very fickle and fail or lose data.

4. Is there a specific brand/model of SDcard that is preferred for Smartphones that I should look for?

That's about it for now. Thanks!

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Background:

My first and only Smartphone, thus far, has been the iPhone 4S 64GB. It's been a solid phone. But it's closing on on 3-years-old now and I want bigger and faster.

So, next month, I've decided I want a WAY bigger screen (3.5" -> 5"), a better camera (8MP to 16MP) and a faster phone overall (more RAM, Quad-Core CPU, etc...).

My BIGGEST question, by far, is the SDcard usability.

1. Can I tell my S5 to save all pictures/movies taken DIRECTLY to the SDcard? Or do I have to save it to the internal memory first and then transfer it after the fact?

From my past experiences, you can save directly to the SD card.

2. Can I run APPS right off the SDcard? I've heard rumor on older Galaxy devices/Android version that due to SDcard speed, most, if not all apps, won't run off SDcards. Is this true? Will it be true for the S5 on Kit Kat? I know the 16GB version only has like 10GB of free space, and I am a big APP fan, so I want to know EXACTLY what my limitations will be so far as that goes. I realyl don't feel like swapping apps back and forth between the internal memory and the SDcard if I don't have to.

Mixed bag. Some apps will allow you to move *some* data, meaning not the entire app. This is on an app-to-app basis though. Not all apps allow this.

3. How reliable/durable are SDcards? Most of the memory cards I've dealt with over the years tend to be very fickle and fail or lose data.

Don't cheap out when it comes to memory cards. I bought a Transcend memory card once and it was garbage. Buy from San Disk, I've had really good experiences with them.

4. Is there a specific brand/model of SDcard that is preferred for Smartphones that I should look for?

See above

That's about it for now. Thanks!

Hopefully that helped :D

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the tips.

So far as APPS are concerned, is there some way to know which ones prefer the internal memory?

I primarily use apps like News, Weather, Maps, Browsers, Books (Kindle), Shopping Apps, Social Stuff (Facebook, Twitter, Skype, etc..) and a FEW games, like Angry Birds and Apps for some console and PC games that server as a "second screen" (Battlelog for Battlefield Games, World of Warcraft Apps, etc...) Will those run off the SDcard? Or will I have to pick and choose which ones to put on the internal memory?

Or should I just look for a 32GB S5?

I'm locked into getting it at Best buy because I have a Gift Card for BB that will pay for the phone in it's entirety. I only see the 16GB versions there though.

Hence my quandry. It's all about the memory for me - internal vs. SDcard. I just want to make sure I don't have to constantly swap stuff.

OH, btw - same thing with Movies and Music. I assume those can run off the SD cards, right?

Thanks.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the tips.

So far as APPS are concerned, is there some way to know which ones prefer the internal memory?

Not that I know of. I currently do not have a Kit Kat phone with an SD card reader and I won't until my S5 is here otherwise I'd be able to help you better, sorry :(. As far as I can tell it's pretty much a 'download and see' sort of situation. I don't think there is a way to know until it's on your device unless the developer of the app puts it in the description maybe? I'm sure there are people here that can help you better than I can.

I primarily use apps like News, Weather, Maps, Browsers, Books (Kindle), Shopping Apps, Social Stuff (Facebook, Twitter, Skype, etc..) and a FEW games, like Angry Birds and Apps for some console and PC games that server as a "second screen" (Battlelog for Battlefield Games, World of Warcraft Apps, etc...) Will those run off the SDcard? Or will I have to pick and choose which ones to put on the internal memory?

Again, I'm not too sure, sorry.

Or should I just look for a 32GB S5?

If I were you, based on what you've posted so far, I'd wait for the 32GB. It sounds like you use a lot of storage and it would really suck to run into problems later on. You might also want to consider the Note 3 if you need a phone now. It has 32GB of storage, bigger screen and it's a great phone. I used to have one. But if you can wait for the 32GB s5, that may be your best option.

I'm locked into getting it at Best buy because I have a Gift Card for BB that will pay for the phone in it's entirety. I only see the 16GB versions there though.

Hence my quandry. It's all about the memory for me - internal vs. SDcard. I just want to make sure I don't have to constantly swap stuff.

OH, btw - same thing with Movies and Music. I assume those can run off the SD cards, right?

Correct. You can use the SD card for movies and music. I'm not too sure if Playstore movies and music can be loaded to the sd card as I do not buy my content from them, I use itunes or I stream.

Thanks.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have a S4 running kit kat.
Photos can go directly to the SD card. All your music & movies can be loaded into the SD card. There are some apps that still allow to be moved to the SD card and some that no longer will. As far as brands I would only look at Samsung or SanDisk class 10 only. Google music also now allows for the music to be stored on the SD card. More is always better so if you can wait for the 32gb I would. I also "turn off" a lot of the apps in the app manager that I don't use and I think that helps as well. The S5 is rumored to only have 8gb available though, this will be a problem for me as well. I also recommend Nova launcher for your home screens so you can configure as your heart desires. I hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
.....The S5 is rumored to only have 8gb available though, this will be a problem for me as well. I also recommend Nova launcher for your home screens so you can configure as your heart desires. I hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App

The S5 is supposed to have around 10.7GB free, not 8GB as originally reported.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have always used San Disk in my phones, cameras and a couple of tablets. I only had trouble with one which was a 64 gb and San Disk had a replacement on my door step in 3 - 4 days. I personally don't buy 16 gb phones. I hung onto my S3 32gb phone until VZW finally got a S4 32gb. I know it limits the phones available and sometimes we have to wait longer but I never have to think about what I am going to remove so I can install something else. The S5 will be a really nice android phone I am sure you will enjoy it. I enjoyed my S3 and now enjoying my S4. Don't know as yet if I will get an S5 or wait for the Note 4. I also want to consider the Sony Experia 2 if it goes on VZW. I can switch carriers as I have grandfathered unlimited data. Good luck with switching phones.