calls getting muted

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a pixel 3 and my calls keep getting randomly muted the phone is set to turn black when I have the phone to my ear so I am thinking that I am not hitting the mute button by accident.

Also sometimes in order to get mute off of my phone I have to mute it and then un-mute it.

Am I looking at a software bug?

Iain Johnson1

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I asked the exact same question and it seemed like it was just me. Not sure if it's a software issue or just where the mute button is in relation to the sensor etc.

I've found that i don't do it when it's not in a case, but with the material case on its almost like it just holds it far enough from my face? Unsure, but it's driving people mad who I call.

'Youve put me on mute again!!' 😂

Amanda_K3

Mar 2, 2019
Visit site
I have a pixel 3 and my calls keep getting randomly muted the phone is set to turn black when I have the phone to my ear so I am thinking that I am not hitting the mute button by accident.

Also sometimes in order to get mute off of my phone I have to mute it and then un-mute it.

Am I looking at a software bug?

Amanda_K3

Mar 2, 2019
Visit site
I have had my new Pixel 3 for only a month and it did exactly the same thing and more! In addition to the calls muting (so frustrating - what's a phone if you can't make a call!?), mine also randomly turns on the torch or the clock stopwatch.

I've done factory resets, have the latest software and have put it in for repair with my phone company, and of course they could find nothing wrong.

I love all the features of this phone... Just need it to work like a phone should!!!!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have had my new Pixel 3 for only a month and it did exactly the same thing and more! In addition to the calls muting (so frustrating - what's a phone if you can't make a call!?), mine also randomly turns on the torch or the clock stopwatch.

I've done factory resets, have the latest software and have put it in for repair with my phone company, and of course they could find nothing wrong.

I love all the features of this phone... Just need it to work like a phone should!!!!

Did you contact Google to see if they could replace the phone?

Amanda_K3

Mar 2, 2019
Visit site
No I haven't... I went thigh let through the phone company I bought it from as part of a contract. Worth a try, do you think?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No I haven't... I went thigh let through the phone company I bought it from as part of a contract. Worth a try, do you think?

Yes but you might have a better chance of getting a brand new one through Google if it's past the return period.

Edit:
I read their policy and they expect you to do what you did...go through the vendor you bought it through.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
mine also randomly turns on the torch or the clock stopwatch
Does it do this if you boot into Safe mode?
As a side note, if you did a Factory Reset but then you just reloaded your old setup from your backup you have accomplished little to nothing.
For a Factory Reset to really be useful you have to setup as New, and skip installing all of your 3rd party applications until you have determined that either the problem has gone away (in which case your previous setup or some 3rd party application is at fault) or is still present (in which case you probably have a hardware problem).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
@GSDer has a great point. I'm not sure if you sent it or brought it. If you sent it in they probably had you wipe the phone and in a fresh state so if it was a due a third party app they would not the see the problem. If you brought it without leaving it and the problem didn't materialize it could be intermittent. If you haven't already done so try it with a fresh install and if the problem is still there insist on replacement. If you bought it through Verizon and went to the store to check it out they are not as helpful. Your best bet if you haven't already done is to go through the customer service line and if the first level of support doesn't get you anywhere they usually bump it up to tier 2 support. If they don't offer it ask but they are usually pretty good about it. You should be able to get them to exchange it the only question is whether or not they'll give you a new one or a refurbished one. if you are a long-time customer you may be able to push for a brand new one since it's not that old but it is outside of the return window. Find it always pays to be courteous with them but firm. I apologize in advance if you've gone through most of these steps already but I'm not totally familiar with what you have actually done aside from what you mentioned.

cdma

Jun 23, 2019
Visit site
I had the same problem. When it mutes itself check your screen before hanging up. Your face is hitting the mute button. I learned this when it hit the speaker button. Not a phone issue. Google needs to work on its proximity sensor.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey