camera difficulty with moving objects

Jul 7, 2017
Visit site
I have been trying to take a photo while jumping,for example,or moving and it appears to be blurry. Already tried sports mode and capturing 50 pics of the actions but none of the 50 pics were clear enough to be considered a decent picture.

edit . thanks for your help I don't know to to reply on my own thread . I have changed the settings in pro mode and it kinda worded a bit but not compared to this /watch?v=E7oa9EIcppA if you checked at 3:00 you can see a perfect shot of the lady while jumping . How to get such quality?

Last edited:

ihearlivepplz

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Lower light will affect shutter speed (longer shutter speed for more light) Swipe from left to right and select pro-mode. Once you have Pro-Mode activated, you can adjust the shutter speed manually (Bigger number longer shutterspeed, smaller number shorter speed) the shorter the speed, the faster the object will be captured. Note that this will also decrease brightness. you can increase the ISO ( lower ISO less brightness more clarity, higher ISO more brightness but less clarity)

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I have been trying to take a photo while jumping,for example,or moving and it appears to be blurry. Already tried sports mode and capturing 50 pics of the actions but none of the 50 pics were clear enough to be considered a decent picture.

edit . thanks for your help I don't know to to reply on my own thread . I have changed the settings in pro mode and it kinda worded a bit but not compared to this /watch?v=E7oa9EIcppA if you checked at 3:00 you can see a perfect shot of the lady while jumping . How to get such quality?

Why don't you enable the "motion photo" setting? It records about a second before and after the shot.

When you hit play, you can slide the bottom of the screen to capture the moment when the image was usually in focus. Once you get the image in the right frame, you then select capture at the top of the screen. You'll find the new pic in the gallery right along with the original.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue when I take my son to the trempoline place. All pictures with him jumping up and down are blurry

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

That is one of fundamental challenges with photography, whether you have a mobile phone camera or a high end full frame camera. You really need good lighting when the subject is in motion. One technique to use is to pan the camera with the motion of of the subject, so there is less effective motion in the field of view. That will blur the background, but at least the subject will be less blurred. You can also try to reduce shutter speed (which will result in a darker picture, and then pump up the brightness in post processing.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried using the Tracking AF function in Camera Settings? It's meant to be used to keep the cakes focused on a moving object whilst you stand still but it'll work the opposite way around too and keep your subject in focus whilst you move/jump

Like others have said though, light is a major factor here and you'll get much less blurry photos in bright light because the camera shutter is open for far less time than it would be with lower light

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the S8 and S8+ have a burst mode (hold the shutter button). That is the best way to caoture people jumping etc.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I sometimes watch someone trying to get a picture of another person in mid jump and the person taking the picture keeps poking the shutter button. I always think to myself silly, just use burst mode, easy to capture in mid jump.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the S8 and S8+ have a burst mode (hold the shutter button). That is the best way to caoture people jumping etc.

While burst mode may help you capture that jumping person in just the right pose and at the apogee of his flight, I suspect that it will do nothing at all to reduce image blur.

Image blur is the result of too slow a shutter speed in relation to the speed of the moving object. Some ways to improve this are:

1. Better lighting. With more light coming in, the camera (any camera) needs less shutter-open time to gather enough light to produce an image.
  2. Reduce relative difference in object speed vs. camera speed. In other words, learn to pan the camera in the same relative direction as the moving object and at the same relative speed. You see professional photographers doing this all the time; watch them filming automobile races, for example.
  3. Make sure your camera is focusing on the desired object and not something in the background.
  4. Use a camera (or, app, in this case) that will let you adjust things like shutter speed and ISO rating (essentially, lets you play with shutter speed indirectly); Camera Zoom FX, for example.

Jul 7, 2017
Visit site
Thank you all for your help.The solution was simply to stand in bright day light while holding the shutter button. The photos were same quality as in the video.Thanks again.

Fille84

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
This is the best camera on any phone to take pictures of moving objects in my opinion. If you're not happy with the result maybe you should use a professional camera instead.