Camera not working

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
I decided to finally root my phone and install a Rom. I used Wug's kit. Everything seemed to go ok.
I installed some apps and made a backup of this stock rooted 4.04 rom using CWM.
I then tried AOKP O3 Linaro. I factory wiped, cache wipe and dalvik cache wipe first.

That had serious problems on my phone. No app would run. Any app I tried would start and then crash.
So I bagged that one.
I then tried a CM9 variant. (doing the 3 wipes). It worked fairly well. I then installed the latest franco kernel. That seemed to be a good combination until I tried to use the camera. In camera mode, it will snap a photo, but it doesn't seem to write the picture. When I switch to video the camera app would crash when I tried to start it.

I then decided to drop that rom. I did the 3 wipes and tried the redemption rom (1.3) since it was known for its stability. That had the same exact issue with the camera.

So I decided to bag that and go back to my backed up rooted rom. I did the 3 wipes and restored it using CWM.

Now my camera is acting the same way with that rom too. $#%@#$%@#
Can anyone give me any advice/help with this issue?

Thanks,

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
A) that sucks. B) way beyond my current skills and pay grade. I hope you find someone who can help!

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Others may chime in with better news for you, but if was my phone, I'd use wugs to unroot/re-lock (restoring to factory images) and if that doesn't fix the camera, I'd head into Verizon for an exchange. It's most likely not the ROM's, as tons of people are running all the ROMs you mentioned with no camera issues.

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Flashing the factory IMM76K image now.
I started thinking about another small issue I was having and curious if they are related.

It was almost as if the camera app couldn't write out to the file system.

The other issue, I've seen since rooting/flashing is that Rom Manager and the Amazon appstore cannot download anything. They both show download error (almost as if they can't write).

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Flashing the factory IMM76K image now.
I started thinking about another small issue I was having and curious if they are related.

It was almost as if the camera app couldn't write out to the file system.

The other issue, I've seen since rooting/flashing is that Rom Manager and the Amazon appstore cannot download anything. They both show download error (almost as if they can't write).

Did you download and flash gapps?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Stay away from the 03 linaro. :)

There must have been residual effects from that, which is known to have issues. Though I have not heard of the camera one before, it does break GPS. That is about as bleeding edge as it gets. Save that for after you have a perfect nandroid backup of a daily driver. Start with one of the more common, known good ones now that you are stock.

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, I went back to where I was. I am using the CM9 Team Keyblade with the MrMad Galaxy S3 add on. Everything works fine. What I did differently this time was that when I rooted the stock image I didn't restore my data/media. My guess is that there was something in there that was breaking the camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed